Bryan Christopher Kohberger may be innocent, we don't know yet?

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
A law enforcement source familiar with the matter told CNN that police found unknown DNA at the scene of the killings. However, the DNA didn't match anything within the police system, so police utilized genealogical techniques. The unknown DNA was run through a public database, which identified relatives of the suspect.
snip
California investigators were able to take DNA from a crime scene and use a public DNA database to trace it through his relatives and back to him.

How does genetic genealogy work?
Genetic genealogy uses autosomal DNA single nucleotide polymorphisms to discover recent common ancestors between two or more people. This is done by examining the SNPs on your chromosomes and comparing them to other people's chromosomes. If two people share a long stretch of DNA, it is likely they share a common ancestor.

I knew if this a conservative website, public DNA is not a source entailed by privacy. I don't care what the article says, unless they find DNA at the scene of the murders he can't be tried for murdering anyone.

Last edited:
Must have been the "Subsequent investigative work" that raised him from a person of interest to a suspect and then lead to his arrest. The DNA thing was just a tool in the tool box.

Reported that he asked if they had arrested anyone else.

Yup, a little known fun fact about most of these genealogy "services" is that they compile all the results to a database, that they allow access to, with virtually any agency that requests it. So... even if a given person never submitted their DNA to these sites, they can still be tracked through basically any relative who has. I still cannot figure out why someone would want to surrender that kind of information about themselves, and their family...

Last edited:
Must have been the "Subsequent investigative work" that raised him from a person of interest to a suspect and then lead to his arrest. The DNA thing was just a tool in the tool box.
they shouldn't use genetic genealogy. Maybe a tool in the box, but they should NOT have arrested him yet.

A law enforcement source familiar with the matter told CNN that police found unknown DNA at the scene of the killings. However, the DNA didn't match anything within the police system, so police utilized genealogical techniques. The unknown DNA was run through a public database, which identified relatives of the suspect.
snip
California investigators were able to take DNA from a crime scene and use a public DNA database to trace it through his relatives and back to him.

Genetic genealogy uses autosomal DNA single nucleotide polymorphisms to discover recent common ancestors between two or more people. This is done by examining the SNPs on your chromosomes and comparing them to other people's chromosomes. If two people share a long stretch of DNA, it is likely they share a common ancestor.

I knew if this a conservative website, public DNA is not a source entailed by privacy. I don't care what the article says, unless they find DNA at the scene of the murders he can't be tried for murdering anyone.
I thought you started with they did find DNA at the scene
Now, it is easy to find out if it is his

They also spotted his white Hyundai Elantra near the scene

snip

They did find DNA at the crime scene. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have had anything to run through the genealogy database.

dna at a party house? the dna would need to be under the fingernails of one of the victims...
Possibly if he can show he was a guest at one of those “parties”
Easy enough for another guest to say he was there

I am sure they are asking

seems he was trailing them according to his cell phone pings...theories are just going crazy....there are so many questions...did the doors have locks to the bedrooms? how did he overcome 4 people...that is going to wear you out...stabbing that many people...one right after another...but i dont know the effects of 'molly' etc....seems the police followed him and "his dad" wtf? would they be looking for his dna? was he planning the perfect crime...cause he really blew that all to hell...cameras...you cant escape them

seems he was trailing them according to his cell phone pings...theories are just going crazy....there are so many questions...did the doors have locks to the bedrooms? how did he overcome 4 people...that is going to wear you out...stabbing that many people...one right after another...but i dont know the effects of 'molly' etc....seems the police followed him and "his dad" wtf? would they be looking for his dna? was he planning the perfect crime...cause he really blew that all to hell...cameras...you cant escape them

His father flew to Washington State and drove him to Pennsylvania.

Richard Speck did it with 8 student nurses sleeping in their beds

Natural Citizen could you explain geo fencing? i am assuming its mapping the pings...which i dont really get either...
how much can they pin point this?

It's basically locating mobile devices directly near a specific location in a specific time frame that pinged for gps, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

It's mainly a marketing technique, but most apps use it.

Here's a more thorough explanation...

You generally need a geofencing warrant to obtain the data for a criminal investigation, but who knows how much data these companies already just voluntarily give up anyway.

Here's a reddit discussion on the topic, and specific to this case...

Some other relevant reading...

Last edited:
They did find DNA at the crime scene. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have had anything to run through the genealogy database.
I didn't hear that, they used genetic genealogy.

showed there was no trace of Coley's DNA on the evidence, but that there was the DNA of an unknown suspect.[15] Investigators also disproved the testimony of a witness from the original trial who claimed to have seen Coley at the scene of the crime.[16] In a report to the local police, three former and current police officers testified that the detective at the time of Coley's trial had “mishandled the investigation or framed Mr. Coley.” The local prosecutor felt the original detectives decided Coley was guilty too quickly and that they were victims of "tunnel vision".[6]

Pardon[edit]​

California governor Jerry Brown pardoned Coley on November 22, 2017,[17] because the evidence showed he was innocent of the murders.[6] In February 2018, the California Victims Compensation Board awarded Coley almost $2 million in compensation for his wrongful imprisonment for almost 40 years.

I certainly don't want this to happen, locked up at a prison for years, but they need to find DNA at the scene and if they do, he needs to be locked up in prison.

I know location is a marker, but they need to place him in the home, or he needs to confess to killing the students. It took time to knife them.

Forum List

Back