Buffalo, N.Y. Police target criminals, not gun owners….30% reduction in shootings…..criminals, not guns = stopping gun crime

When the police target criminals, they reduce crime…..when the police target normal gun owners, gun crime increases…..

No, the article says nothing of the sort. It looks like the police changed their presence tactics from full blown force/stop and frisk to community based policing.
Something, ironically, that some of the defund-the-police crowd were suggesting two years ago. :)

Keith said he’s lived on Thatcher for more than two decades and has seen all kinds of police activity over the years.
“They’d ticket you. Pat you down,” he recalled.
He said the recent patrols seem different.

“They’re friendlier. They drive by and wave,” he said. “I think it’s better. I don’t know if it works. But I can feel the atmosphere. It’s a different vibe.

As long as I've been alive so far, Buffalo, NY seems to be the ONLY sanity that state has to offer.
What are they doing that the rest of the state isn't, to keep it sane and reasonable?

I could be wrong, but from all the news I've heard about Buffalo throughout my life, it's always been something not "in sync" with the rest of the state.

No, the article says nothing of the sort. It looks like the police changed their presence tactics from full blown force/stop and frisk to community based policing.
Something, ironically, that some of the defund-the-police crowd were suggesting two years ago. :)

"a strategy that targets violent criminals rather than the general public or legal gun owners."

End quote, repeat the line. :auiqs.jpg:

"a strategy that targets violent criminals rather than the general public or legal gun owners."

End quote, repeat the line. :auiqs.jpg:
But that's not what got them the results.

Try again. And here I am actually not beating down on an alt-right media source.
I must be going soft. :)

Try again. And here I am actually not beating down on an alt-right media source.

Huh?

Shootings in Buffalo, New York are down by more than 30% this year, but it’s not because of any of the new gun control laws approved by lawmakers in Albany. Instead, police are crediting a shift to focus on “micro hot spots” for the drop in crime; a strategy that targets violent criminals rather than the general public or legal gun owners.

Huh?

Shootings in Buffalo, New York are down by more than 30% this year, but it’s not because of any of the new gun control laws approved by lawmakers in Albany. Instead, police are crediting a shift to focus on “micro hot spots” for the drop in crime; a strategy that targets violent criminals rather than the general public or legal gun owners.
Read on. That's the alt-right spin. The meat and potatoes of the article come from the comments of the people...you know, that actually have to live there. Here's another important passage.

"If residents of a neighborhood hit hard by violent crime believe that local cops are actually interested in doing something to address the problem, they’re going to be far more likely to pass along information or even testify in court".

Looks like they've changed their tactics. And that's what's getting them the results.

Read on. That's the alt-right spin. The meat and potatoes of the article come from the comments of the people...you know, that actually have to live there. Here's another important passage.

Nope. That's what the police were quoted on.

What got the the results was targeting criminals......not gun owners.......

"If residents of a neighborhood hit hard by violent crime believe that local cops are actually interested in doing something to address the problem, they’re going to be far more likely to pass along information or even testify in court".

Looks like they've changed their tactics. And that's what's getting them the results.

You should really stay on the script your communist masters in China give you.......

From the actual article...

Who knows more about what’s going on in a neighborhood than the unformed officers patrolling them?” Gramaglia said.

They discuss which spots to target and who will go where and when. The aim is to have officers going to hot spots throughout the day, spending 10 to 15 minutes at each location. The assignments are called “directed patrols.”
----

This strategy is the antithesis of the gun-banning ideology of groups like Everytown for Gun Safety and anti-gun politicians like New York Mayor Kathy Hochul because it doesn’t depend in the slightest on carving up our right to keep and bear arms into a number of possessory crimes.

It addresses crime by going after violent actors instead of turning legal gun owners into paperwork criminals. Not only is that a more constitutionally sound approach, it actually works, though whether or not this strategy can survive the onslaught of new possessory offenses that are set to take effect on September 1st, however, is an open question.

You should really stay on the script your communist masters in China give you.......

From the actual article...

Who knows more about what’s going on in a neighborhood than the unformed officers patrolling them?” Gramaglia said.

They discuss which spots to target and who will go where and when. The aim is to have officers going to hot spots throughout the day, spending 10 to 15 minutes at each location. The assignments are called “directed patrols.”
----

This strategy is the antithesis of the gun-banning ideology of groups like Everytown for Gun Safety and anti-gun politicians like New York Mayor Kathy Hochul because it doesn’t depend in the slightest on carving up our right to keep and bear arms into a number of possessory crimes.

It addresses crime by going after violent actors instead of turning legal gun owners into paperwork criminals. Not only is that a more constitutionally sound approach, it actually works, though whether or not this strategy can survive the onslaught of new possessory offenses that are set to take effect on September 1st, however, is an open question.
Oh dear god, just stop with the projection. You wouldn't know a communist master if one tied you up and whipped you. :)

Please enumerate what these "directed patrols" do besides an increased visibility in the neighborhood?
Again, this article upon closer inspection...has nothing to do with targeting legal gun owners...because that doesn't happen, except in your alt-right minds.
It has to do with the cops changing their tactics of not treating everyone they see like common criminals. Actually being community servants..and in the process,
achieving their goals of reducing crime and getting buy in from the community.

Gotta say, I am CONSTANTLY amused at your whining about legal gun owners being targeted. But as soon as someone like Breonna Taylor's boyfriend (who owned and packed a gun on him legally) is treated like common criminal
while his unarmed girlfriend is shot and killed multiple times by trigger happy cops on bogus search warrant (getting the irony here??)....you fall silent. Where is your long tome of gun rights support there?

Oh dear god, just stop with the projection. You wouldn't know a communist master if one tied you up and whipped you. :)

Please enumerate what these "directed patrols" do besides an increased visibility in the neighborhood?
Again, this article upon closer inspection...has nothing to do with targeting legal gun owners...because that doesn't happen, except in your alt-right minds.
It has to do with the cops changing their tactics of not treating everyone they see like common criminals. Actually being community servants..and in the process,
achieving their goals of reducing crime and getting buy in from the community.

Gotta say, I am CONSTANTLY amused at your whining about legal gun owners being targeted. But as soon as someone like Breonna Taylor's boyfriend (who owned and packed a gun on him legally) is treated like common criminal
while his unarmed girlfriend is shot and killed multiple times by trigger happy cops on bogus search warrant (getting the irony here??)....you fall silent. Where is your long tome of gun rights support there?

Trigger happy cops? The her "boyfriend," shot at the police first.....hitting one of them, you doofus....

I didn't "fall silent," you moron......I defended both him and the police, you idiot. He had a right to shoot, they had a right to shoot back, you communist stooge......

Trigger happy cops? The her "boyfriend," shot at the police first.....hitting one of them, you doofus....

I didn't "fall silent," you moron......I defended both him and the police, you idiot. He had a right to shoot, they had a right to shoot back, you communist stooge......
They busted down his door with a bogus, no knock warrant..doofus. If that homeowner sleeping on the couch had been white, do you think you'd have a bit more outrage?
Yeah..I think you would.

They busted down his door with a bogus, no knock warrant..doofus. If that homeowner sleeping on the couch had been white, do you think you'd have a bit more outrage?
Yeah..I think you would.

Nope...they announced themselves .....and he opened fire on them and they returned fire.........both were in the right...you ignorant moron.....Breonna Taylor had a search warrant against her because of her relationship with a known drug dealer........she brought the police to that door that night....

And their tactics include targeting criminals and not law abiding gun owners.

There's no spin on the facts.

Keith said he’s lived on Thatcher for more than two decades and has seen all kinds of police activity over the years.
“They’d ticket you. Pat you down,” he recalled.
He said the recent patrols seem different.

“They’re friendlier. They drive by and wave,” he said. “I think it’s better. I don’t know if it works. But I can feel the atmosphere. It’s a different vibe.
That’s not community based policing, it’s focusing resources on problem areas. Typically, the usual anti-police are reacting badly to this effective usage of resources and want it stopped.

Forum List

Back