Burger King Moves North to Canada for Tax Reasons.

Last year, Burger King paid an effective tax rate of 27.5% (in the US), and Tim Hortons paid an effective tax rate of 28% (in Canada).

Pretending that the merger is because of tax reasons is just silly.

What is Burger King's "effective" tax rate in the U.S.? What will it be in Canada?

Are you thinking Burger King didn't think of that? They'll do all this and not save on their taxes? You should probably write them a letter.

Did they say that's the reason?

You're from Michigan -- you must realize how big Tim Horton's is... they've been expanding here too -- I've seen them as far south as Kentucky.

Let me check the link in your OP to see the background here.
Oh wait -- there isn't any.

What is Burger King's "effective" tax rate in the U.S.? What will it be in Canada?

Are you thinking Burger King didn't think of that? They'll do all this and not save on their taxes? You should probably write them a letter.

Well, maybe the reason for the merger wasn't "taxes", and more due to the fact that Tim Horton's is a very profitable business that Burger King wanted a piece of.

Can't blame them. They have a duty to their shareholders. Capitalism 101...

This is a failure of leadership by the Federal government. They need to simplify the tax code by eliminating deductions and lowering the rate.

It's every patriotic American's duty to avoid taxes to the fullest extent possible. Note the difference between "avoid" and "evade".

Though you liberals fail to comprehend anything THAT complex. Not your fault, though, it's the result of your having been indoctrinated rather than educated.

LOL, I'm a liberal again? And WTF Harry? You think a liberal will congratulate a corporation for avoiding taxes? What are you smoking?

Why not?

"Everybody knows" fallacy time again already?

...and yet, the president does not set tax rates. Congress does, and the House is controlled by Republicans....

The House doesn't control tax rates, the President and Senate do that as well. Do you have any more points to waste our time or is this pretty much it?

I recommend that you repeat 8th grade Civics. You can not blame the president for tax rates unless he vetoes a congressional bill that would change it.

Ding, ding, ding.

Let me introduce you to the word, "and." It means in this case all three things. You get those three on board, rates will be cut. You don't, they won't. Well, maybe they could do it without Nancy. But not Harry and Obama. Unlikely a veto would be overridden.

Harry, Nancy AND Obama. LOL, You need to retake elementary school English. What about the three of them are required to change tax rates do you not understand? Obviously without Harry, the House cannot implement a bill and without Obama it may not be overrridden. What is wrong with you?

Burger King's overall effective tax rate was 27.5% in 2013, according to its annual report. Ontario has a provincial corporate tax rate of 26.5%.

IRS Eh Tim Hortons Deal Could Lower Burger King's Tax Bill Fox Business

I don't see any big tax advantage.

LOL, crap. Burger King is moving and they didn't do the math? Wow, will they be upset when they find out. You people are ridiculous, obviously they did, Homey.

I'm fairly certain that the "math" involved has a lot more to do with Tim Horton's profits, not the tax rate.

Last year, Burger King paid an effective tax rate of 27.5% (in the US), and Tim Hortons paid an effective tax rate of 28% (in Canada).

Tim Horton did not pay the Canadian government taxes on its US earnings. Guess what Burger King is looking at.

The Ceo of Burger King needs a big gold crown..........

Instead of arguing over who is at fault for the near 35% corporate tax rate, why not see the value in lowering it an solve all these problems??

We early Americans left England over unfair taxation........
Can you takers and moochers not see how you are destroying this country??

When there is no more industry in America will you all then be happy??

Why would you enact laws to keep companies from leaving when it is easier to drop the tax rate??

Never heard the old adage, you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar...............

That's the point of my op post, why don't we lower it? Burger King is acting in the interest of their shareholders, employees and customers, that is their job. It's not their fault our government is oppressive to our corporations, they just need to make the logical choice how to deal with it.

Can't blame them. They have a duty to their shareholders. Capitalism 101...

This is a failure of leadership by the Federal government. They need to simplify the tax code by eliminating deductions and lowering the rate.

Burger King only paid 27.5% in 2013.

Ding, ding, ding.

Let me introduce you to the word, "and." It means in this case all three things. You get those three on board, rates will be cut. You don't, they won't. Well, maybe they could do it without Nancy. But not Harry and Obama. Unlikely a veto would be overridden.

Harry, Nancy AND Obama. LOL, You need to retake elementary school English. What about the three of them are required to change tax rates do you not understand? Obviously without Harry, the House cannot implement a bill and without Obama it may not be overrridden. What is wrong with you?

I should have known better. Obama is also responsible for The Chicago Cubs not winning a pennant for over 100 years....

Pretending that you know the truth from what you read and they are idiots who didn't think it through is just silly.

Burger King's overall effective tax rate was 27.5% in 2013, according to its annual report. Ontario has a provincial corporate tax rate of 26.5%.

LOL, crap. Burger King is moving and they didn't do the math? Wow, will they be upset when they find out. You people are ridiculous, obviously they did, Homey.

I'm fairly certain that the "math" involved has a lot more to do with Tim Horton's profits, not the tax rate.

I am too. I spend a lot of time in Canada; Tim Horton's is everywhere.
So where is any evidence that taxes is the motivation behind this? In that OP article? Oh wait, there isn't one.

Tim Horton did not pay the Canadian government taxes on its US earnings. Guess what Burger King is looking at.

No, they paid the US government taxes on their US earnings.

Then why are they not buying Tim Horton and keeping their headquarters here?

Ding, ding, ding.

I should have known better. Obama is also responsible for The Chicago Cubs not winning a pennant for over 100 years....

That's just stupid. What are you talking about?

Obama AND Harry AND Nancy (you can look up what the word "and" means if you haven't yet), are responsible today for one US company after another looking to get out and demogogging them for it rather than changing the system so it makes sense for them to stay.

Forum List

Back