Burger King Moves North to Canada for Tax Reasons.

Last year, Burger King paid an effective tax rate of 27.5% (in the US), and Tim Hortons paid an effective tax rate of 28% (in Canada).

Pretending that the merger is because of tax reasons is just silly.

Pretending that you know the truth from what you read and they are idiots who didn't think it through is just silly.

I don't think Burger King are "idiots who didn't think it through". I'm sure they did think it through.

On the other hand, I think everyone who believes the purpose of the merger was to avoid taxes are idiots who didn't think it through.

...and yet, the president does not set tax rates. Congress does, and the House is controlled by Republicans....

No...but implementing new "regulations" in various areas..the EPA and ACA for instance....have triggers in them that activate punitive tax rates for businesses that have to comply with them. You presume all taxes are the same for all corporations at all times across the board...

Republicans? LMAO

Well, isn't it true they are evil and they set the tax rates too low and allow evil corporations to get away without paying "their fair share"? Isn't that your position?

But wait..now you're trying to blame republicans for setting the tax rates too high and forcing corporations to leave the country.

I'm as confused now as you are. Make up your mind.

Last year, Burger King paid an effective tax rate of 27.5% (in the US), and Tim Hortons paid an effective tax rate of 28% (in Canada).

Tim Horton did not pay the Canadian government taxes on its US earnings. Guess what Burger King is looking at.

No, they paid the US government taxes on their US earnings.

And they kept their foreign earned money overseas because the US government would take 35% of it if they tried to repatriate it. By locating their headquarters in Canada, they can repatriate money without paying that ridiculous tax no one else charges them. In fact ironically, they will be able to take internationally earned money and move it to the US without paying the repatriation of money tax on it. That is probably a big kicker in this for them.

That's just stupid. What are you talking about?

Obama AND Harry AND Nancy (you can look up what the word "and" means if you haven't yet), are responsible today for one US company after another looking to get out and demogogging them for it rather than changing the system so it makes sense for them to stay.

Of course you are correct. Obama should be impeached for not signing the bill to lower taxes that congress has not sent to him....

Tim Horton did not pay the Canadian government taxes on its US earnings. Guess what Burger King is looking at.

And ... Burger King is going to pay what on their foreign earnings, plus paying the foreign government taxes on local earnings.

And they kept their foreign earned money overseas because the US government would take 35% of it if they tried to repatriate it. By locating their headquarters in Canada, they can repatriate money without paying that ridiculous tax no one else charges them. In fact ironically, they will be able to take internationally earned money and move it to the US without paying the repatriation of money tax on it. That is probably a big kicker in this for them.

If what you are saying is true, how come Burger King and Tim Horton's (pre-merger) pay essentially the same effective tax rate?

Burger King's overall effective tax rate was 27.5% in 2013, according to its annual report. Ontario has a provincial corporate tax rate of 26.5%.

IRS Eh Tim Hortons Deal Could Lower Burger King's Tax Bill Fox Business

I don't see any big tax advantage.

LOL, crap. Burger King is moving and they didn't do the math? Wow, will they be upset when they find out. You people are ridiculous, obviously they did, Homey.

I'm fairly certain that the "math" involved has a lot more to do with Tim Horton's profits, not the tax rate.

I am too. I spend a lot of time in Canada; Tim Horton's is everywhere.
So where is any evidence that taxes is the motivation behind this? In that OP article? Oh wait, there isn't one.

Outrage as Burger King eyes move to Canada over taxes New York Post

Damn liberals are lazy, do you really need basic facts Googled for you?

I sincerely hope that the next embicile who is "elected" to the White House understands that if you run your corporations out of America - there will be fewer and fewer jobs. Good God - this country has lost it's mind.

You're claiming that BK plans to close its stores here? Just because they move a corporate HQ?

:cuckoo:
No stupid - I did NOT say that they are closing their stores you stupid jerk. Wake the fuck up you moron.

And ... Burger King is going to pay what on their foreign earnings, plus paying the foreign government taxes on local earnings.

No, Even if the deal goes through BK will pay US taxes on US earning. Only foreign earnings are taxed at Canadian rates.

Pretending that you know the truth from what you read and they are idiots who didn't think it through is just silly.

I don't think Burger King are "idiots who didn't think it through". I'm sure they did think it through.

On the other hand, I think everyone who believes the purpose of the merger was to avoid taxes are idiots who didn't think it through.
-- Which is why there's no link to anything in the OP. It's pure speculation passed off as reality.

Which is why I awarded it this trophy.
Congrats, Kazinski!

I sincerely hope that the next embicile who is "elected" to the White House understands that if you run your corporations out of America - there will be fewer and fewer jobs. Good God - this country has lost it's mind.

You're claiming that BK plans to close its stores here? Just because they move a corporate HQ?

No stupid - I did NOT say that they are closing their stores you stupid jerk. Wake the fuck up you moron.

Then why would there be "fewer and fewer jobs", you great big mean old poopy pants?

Burger King's overall effective tax rate was 27.5% in 2013, according to its annual report. Ontario has a provincial corporate tax rate of 26.5%.

LOL, crap. Burger King is moving and they didn't do the math? Wow, will they be upset when they find out. You people are ridiculous, obviously they did, Homey.

I'm fairly certain that the "math" involved has a lot more to do with Tim Horton's profits, not the tax rate.

So where is any evidence that taxes is the motivation behind this? In that OP article? Oh wait, there isn't one.

So the "evidence" that taxes are the motivation behind this is the New York Post thinking that it could be the reason?

Another example of limousine liberal hypocrisy. Obama booster Warren Buffet is the money behind Burger King's move to Canada to avoid taxes.

I'd prefer they didn't organize a "boycott", I don't generally eat there but would feel a certain obligation to do so.

Maybe boycott a five-star restaurant, huh?

Sure, what e

No, Even if the deal goes through BK will pay US taxes on US earning. Only foreign earnings are taxed at Canadian rates.

Actually, based in the US, Burger King cannot bring foreign earned money home without paying a 35% tax on it. It can keep foreign earned money overseas without paying tax on it. The US is the only major western country that has this butt stupid policy. In Canada, they will be able to repatriate foreign earned money to Canada without paying foreign tax on it. Ironically, in Canada, they will be able to earn money overseas and move it to the US wihtout the tax either. Think about how stupid that tax policy is. We prevent companies from taking money they earned overseas and bringng it here. And again, no one else is that stupid, just we do it.

I don't start a thread without backing up my point. How 'bout chew?

And what does a political philosophy -- which you claim to aspire to -- have to do with ability to back up one's point?

Why didn't you put this link in the OP? Too weak?

-- Which is why there's no link to anything in the OP. It's pure speculation passed off as reality.

Which is why I awarded it this trophy.
Congrats, Kazinski!

A simple Google search will tell you that you're wrong. I'm not going to cut up your food for you at dinner either.

Then why would there be "fewer and fewer jobs", you great big mean old poopy pants?

The stores will stay here, headquarters will move to Canada. What about that confuses you?

Sure, what e

Actually, based in the US, Burger King cannot bring foreign earned money home without paying a 35% tax on it. It can keep foreign earned money overseas without paying tax on it. The US is the only major western country that has this butt stupid policy. In Canada, they will be able to repatriate foreign earned money to Canada without paying foreign tax on it. Ironically, in Canada, they will be able to earn money overseas and move it to the US wihtout the tax either. Think about how stupid that tax policy is. We prevent companies from taking money they earned overseas and bringng it here. And again, no one else is that stupid, just we do it.

And they'll get set up with healthcare too. :thup:

--- which they gonna need if they eat their own products. :puke:

Forum List

Back