buying a house or condo avoid ones with HOA's

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Homes associations wield far more power than homeowners realize. That’s because local governments have saved money by ceding HOAs more and more authority over such responsibilities as streets and sewers. Associations can fine you for leaving a garage door open and seize your home over late dues.

“A lot of people don’t realize, especially first-time homebuyers, that when you purchase into these homeowners associations you are giving up some of your constitutional rights and some of your due process rights,” said Dave Russell, who rescued a troubled Arizona condo association and now runs it to much acclaim.

HOA boards often are run by volunteers with little training, which can lead to neighborhood strife and even violence. Lawsuits are filed over seemingly petty issues such as “unattractive” flowerpots on a front step.

The result?

An institution originally created to protect homeowners instead has morphed into one that sometimes torments them.

Read more here: HOAs from hell: Homes associations that once protected residents now torment them

On the other hand, HOAs (of which I am no fan) do keep the riff raff out.

It is worth checking them out though. You might agree with it.. To each their own.
Of course, I would NEVER let someone else dictate how to run my home. Fuck that. I have enough of that from the federal government

which is true mr clean till you are deemed the rif raff.....i have worked for condos with hoas...your whole thing depends on a every changing board or directors and their agendas

It is worth checking them out though. You might agree with it.. To each their own.
Of course, I would NEVER let someone else dictate how to run my home. Fuck that. I have enough of that from the federal government

o please i know who runs your house......lol...and it aint you ....

Not sure you could have a condo without an HOA unless you were just renting from a company that owns the whole complex.

Homes associations wield far more power than homeowners realize. That’s because local governments have saved money by ceding HOAs more and more authority over such responsibilities as streets and sewers. Associations can fine you for leaving a garage door open and seize your home over late dues.

“A lot of people don’t realize, especially first-time homebuyers, that when you purchase into these homeowners associations you are giving up some of your constitutional rights and some of your due process rights,” said Dave Russell, who rescued a troubled Arizona condo association and now runs it to much acclaim.

HOA boards often are run by volunteers with little training, which can lead to neighborhood strife and even violence. Lawsuits are filed over seemingly petty issues such as “unattractive” flowerpots on a front step.

The result?

An institution originally created to protect homeowners instead has morphed into one that sometimes torments them.

Read more here: HOAs from hell: Homes associations that once protected residents now torment them

A battle with my HOA recently ended with them tucking tail and running.

My son lives under TWO Hoas. They run things with an iron fist. They have to approve the color of the flowers in your front yard. When your house needs painting, the HOA paints and chooses the color from the master plan. The homes purchased in this area do not include the land. The land is leased. Not only are there two HOAs there are the terms of the lease.

It is a pleasure to even visit. When I go, it feels like escape from under a big rock. The streets are safe, even after dark. There is no garbage scattered about. Children play in parks free of homeless, used needles and used condoms. There are no derelict car carcasses melting on any lawns.

It's like heaven.

i dont need anyone providing me with a safe environment...or ruling me with an iron fist...i have 10 acres to avoid shit like that...i feel for people who find eden in being so controlled...i will stay east of eden

The result?

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

On the other hand, HOAs (of which I am no fan) do keep the riff raff out.
and the homes are usually better taken care of......when we were looking for our house the realtor showed us nice neighborhoods with and without HOA's.....the ones without all had a house or 2 on every street that looked shitty,like yards not being kept up,junk piled along side the house,cars in the driveway with flat tires,windows with ripped screens hanging out.....the HOA's did not have any of this or they had very minor situations like that....

i will admit i have never lived in hoa ruled area.....i would rather live in a fucking slum....and i have lol....than have someone lording over me...my house is modest but the i look out on my own property....and no one tells me or grumpy what the hell we have to do...the kids next door ...have explosives...redneck not terrorist....they ride the hell outta dirt bikes with no mufflers...and they do this on the main road....and the old folks are hooking up with golf carts....our new neighbors have goats....their 14 yr old son ask about the bamboo...he can see on our property...we told him to go for it..whatever he wants to make...none of our neighborhood kids play anywhere where their are needles or used condoms....we managed all that will simple common decency....in the mountains if you dont have common decency you end up living in one of the bad hollars....i will say this about grumpy and the other men on this creek...they dont cotton to what they call worthless white trash....i live very well knowing if a man touches me.....all i have to do is tell grumpy or my son....that will be the end of it...and if i am at home...i am armed...not to son's standards lol....i figure he will borg his right hand into a pistol as soon as possible...shm....lord gun fever makes them idiots

i will admit i have never lived in hoa ruled area.....i would rather live in a fucking slum....and i have lol....than have someone lording over me...my house is modest but the i look out on my own property....and no one tells me or grumpy what the hell we have to do...the kids next door ...have explosives...redneck not terrorist....they ride the hell outta dirt bikes with no mufflers...and they do this on the main road....and the old folks are hooking up with golf carts....our new neighbors have goats....their 14 yr old son ask about the bamboo...he can see on our property...we told him to go for it..whatever he wants to make...none of our neighborhood kids play anywhere where their are needles or used condoms....we managed all that will simple common decency....in the mountains if you dont have common decency you end up living in one of the bad hollars....i will say this about grumpy and the other men on this creek...they dont cotton to what they call worthless white trash....i live very well knowing if a man touches me.....all i have to do is tell grumpy or my son....that will be the end of it...and if i am at home...i am armed...not to son's standards lol....i figure he will borg his right hand into a pistol as soon as possible...shm....lord gun fever makes them idiots
the HOA i now have made it clear they only care about you keeping your house and front yard looking good......the back yard they dont care as long as you are not doing something that affects your neighbors.....if they get complaints they have to check it out....so far everyone is pretty nice.....

Forum List

Back