Ca Bypasses trump. Makes Deal With 4 Car Companies

No your son is lucky. I lost a daughter in a Toyota that got hit by a bigger vehicle and the stats in the linked articles in my previous post, proves that is the case. Numbers don’t lie. A week after our daughter was killed, on that same highway a truck hit an Amish couple in a horse and buggy, they both walked away with no injuries.

Again, the numbers don’t lie, a bigger heavier vehicle will protect you better than a smaller lighter vehicle. That isn’t up to dispute by the professionals that tabulates millions of crashes over decades of numbers.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Nothing can come close to having to lose your child.

However, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crash test ratings and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration safety ratings has the Prius rated 9.2. The NHTSA has the Prius over all rating as 5 stars out of 5 stars.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/prius/safety

Thank you, I don’t dispute that they aren’t safe but if you knew you would be in a head on tomorrow (which I would wish on no one) would you rather be in a Toyota Prius or a Toyota Tacoma?

My son was T boned in the Prius. The other car ran the light and hit my car in the front on the driver's side. He walked away without a scratch.

I was in my Mazda B2200 truck and hit some black ice on a bridge one night. Since there was no weight in the back, as soon as those back tires hit that ice, I was all over the bridge. When I got across the bridge I slid sideways toward a house. The only thing that kept me from going straight into that house was my truck caught the side of the curb and threw me away from the house with the truck landing the driver's side on the ground in the parking lot next to the house. I had to be cut out of the truck. Then taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

So yes, I would rather be in that Prius than that Mazda B2200 in an accident.

So grateful your son was okay. My daughter was t-boned by a Caddy, killed her instantly, funny thing is the police officer said had she not been wearing her seatbelt she would have been okay as it would have thrown her away from the impact. Just bizarre how things go.

I agree to disagree with you on this, however thank you for a civil discussion, we all need more of that.

My son was T boned by a large sedan too. I don't know what make and model it was.

I'm so sorry about your daughter. It's got to be the hardest thing to deal with. No parent should have to bury their child.

Sometimes that seatbelt can save lives. Sometimes it doesn't. I've been in my share of accidents. The seatbelt saved me in a couple of them. However, most of the time that seatbelt is an annoyance since I'm very short and they aren't made for people as small as I am and it doesn't lay across my chest the way it does most people. I usually ends up digging into my neck.

I can agree to disagree too. There's no reason why people can't have a civil and mature discussion. We think differently which means we think for ourselves. That is a good thing.

I always wear a seatbelt, statistically seatbelts are smart, hers was an exception. I think about her everyday and the would’ve, could’ve, should’ve’s, she would have been 35 this year, I hate the month of August, always a rough month. The one I really feel for is my wife, she carried our children inside her and that is a bond I can’t match, I deeply love my children, yet women have that special bond. Take care.

Last edited:
This is very interesting.

trump has been trying to take freedom from a handful of states, including California, by taking away their right to set their own air quality standards and requirements on car emissions.

So far 4 car companies have signed on with California to make cars with lower emissions and higher gas mileage no matter what trump does.

I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions. I decided in 2001 to never buy a regular gas car again. And I haven't. I've saved a lot of money on gas and I'm not polluting the air as much. Half the time I'm driving totally on electricity.

I hope California is able to get more car companies to sign on.

California bypasses Trump to sign tougher mileage deal with 4 car makers

I will never buy a car from California the emissions systems are a mechanics nightmare, I applaud you going electric, I won’t, not a reliable source.

Bullshit. Most cars now are California emissions...they generally drive just like their 49-state counterparts. My Crown Vic is 49-state...as I recall, the only difference is some Cali cars are not flex-fuel.

The cars will be more expensive...Why wouldn't car manufactures want that?

I guess that crony corporatist deals with The State are cool, as long as the alleged "benefits" check all your political boxes, huh?

I bought my latest car a year and a half ago. A Toyota Prius. It was 23 thousand dollars. New not used.

Which is basically the same as a lot of sedans. Much less than an SUV or truck.
Half the price of a well equipped 3/4 ton crew cab.

Yes hybrid cars are very affordable. They don't cost anymore than a regular gas car. They cost a lot less than a SUV or truck. People don't seem to have a problem with shelling out over 30 grand for an SUV or truck. I don't see the problem with 23 grand for a hybrid.

Hybrid cars are almost never worth the price premium. My father in law seriously considered one...and the ROI simply is not there even past 150,000 miles. It would have nearly doubled the purchase cost, and the mileage difference would take about 220,000 miles to offset that.

It would also cost more to tag and insure, putting him even further in the hole to start.

trump has been trying to take freedom from a handful of states, including California, by taking away their right to set their own air quality standards and requirements on car emissions.

So far 4 car companies have signed on with California to make cars with lower emissions and higher gas mileage no matter what trump does.

I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions. I decided in 2001 to never buy a regular gas car again. And I haven't. I've saved a lot of money on gas and I'm not polluting the air as much. Half the time I'm driving totally on electricity.

I will never buy a car from California the emissions systems are a mechanics nightmare, I applaud you going electric, I won’t, not a reliable source.

If you buy a car from any of those 4 auto makers you're buying a car that follows the California emissions and mileage standards.

California is trying to get more auto makers to do the same thing.

Uh, wrong again. They will just sell their POSs in CA where no one will buy them.

Actually, many states require new cars to meet Cali emissions now. The cars generally drive no differently than 49-state cars. My 350HP Dodge Magnum R/T was an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle...when smogged, it blew zero across the board.

It'll be a cold day in hell before i drive a prius
or a rolling ball of fire Tesla
Yes i dont care about your super fast pick up off the line
short range and a rolling fire hazard cancels that out
Ever drive one ? a tesla the interior dash is lit up like a Christmas tree and that screen is humongous ....what is that a TV ?
Before civilization ends ...i usually buy cpo with 10k miles or less.... im buying a 2020 bran spankn new

View attachment 271138
dont care ..cant take it with ya !

My brother had a red 76 and a black 71
I never had one

ME want ..I know youre not supposed to buy first new production year of a model ...DO NOT CARE

Pfft reds for lil goils
That abortion is hideous.

Yes hybrid cars are very affordable. They don't cost anymore than a regular gas car. They cost a lot less than a SUV or truck. People don't seem to have a problem with shelling out over 30 grand for an SUV or truck. I don't see the problem with 23 grand for a hybrid.

Because that SUV can pull my boat to the lake.

That fucking Prius has a hard time pulling itself.

Who needs that, simply rent a birth and save the cost of gas and the cost of the SUV and the storage of the boat.

Um the lake I fish at doesn't "rent births".

And I also fish at several different lakes anyway.
If you're just hauling a bass boat you don't need an SUV for that. The Prius will pull it.

The Prius can tow 1540lbs. My bass boat with trailer comes in at 2550lbs with no trailer brakes. The Prius can't handle it. Heck my Nissan truck couldn't handle it and I had to buy a larger truck just to pull it. No way could a Prius suck that thing up a wet boat launch.

Any truck (and many cars) could tow that easily.

Who needs that, simply rent a birth and save the cost of gas and the cost of the SUV and the storage of the boat.

Um the lake I fish at doesn't "rent births".

And I also fish at several different lakes anyway.
If you're just hauling a bass boat you don't need an SUV for that. The Prius will pull it.

The Prius can tow 1540lbs. My bass boat with trailer comes in at 2550lbs. The Prius can't handle it. Heck my Nissan truck couldn't handle it and I had to buy a larger truck just to pull it. No way could a Prius suck that thing up a boat launch.
You need a lighter trailer.

Its the stock tandem axle trailer that it came with. Even an all aluminum trailer would be over 600lbs putting the total weight at 2200lbs. Way over what the Prius could safely handle.

So like I said, there is no hybrid or electric vehicle that would do me any good.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid or Lexus RX450h tow 3500lbs.

The cars will be more expensive...Why wouldn't car manufactures want that?

I guess that crony corporatist deals with The State are cool, as long as the alleged "benefits" check all your political boxes, huh?
Same excuse used when seat belts came in...and air bags.

I don't think I heard, or saw any evidence that seat belts were a big expense.

Air bags, I think the problem was that they were not tested enough, and some people died from air bags that were mandated. When you mandate something, it forces manufactures to install those things, when they haven't been tested enough. Some kids died from airbags being deployed.

Not just kids...if an airbag deploys in her car, my mother would probably be seriously injured. My wife's best friend would probably be decapitated.

And, of course, the tens of millions of Takata airbags, each of which is essentially a Claymore mine in the damn dashboard!

Bull crap. Electric cars pollute far more than gas cars.

Now everything else, I am fine with. You don't want to drive a gas car, great.

I highly doubt you have saved money on gas. I've done the math on that dozens of times, and you never save money.

That said, you can drive whatever you want, I don't care. Just don't make up your mythology and try and convince me the billions of tons of pollutants spewed out mines and factories around the world to make your EV battery packs, is saving the planet. Bull crap.

But those rare metals come from somewhere—often, from environmentally destructive mines. It’s not just Tesla, of course. All electric vehicles rely on parts with similar environmental issues. Even solar panels depend on rare metals that have to be dug out of the earth and processed in less-than-green ways, says David Abraham, author of the book The Elements of Power.

Tesla's Electric Cars Aren't as Green as You Might Think
iu

Nickle mine and processing plant, primarily used in EV batteries. No fuel burning there, no gas emissions there, no electricity from coal fired power plants there. No environmental damage there... (sarcasm) but at least you don't have to fill up with gas... so obviously you are saving the planet.

Again... if you like your electric car, I'm all for it. I'm not here to tell you your car sucks. By all means, charge up your car, and drive all you want. I'm all for it.

But please.... don't lie to yourself and everyone else, that you are saving the plant and not polluting. EVs are far more polluting than gas cars.
Did you read the entire article you linked? It doesn't really support your claim.

Rare earth metals are also necessary for conventional cars.

Your article talks about the EV batteries. You should read that part.

And gasoline doesn't come out of the ground ready to use. It has to be extracted, refined, distributed.

If you still wonder about the difference between how clean an electric car is vs gas powered, here's an experiment that can demonstrate the difference Go into a garage. Close all the doors. Start your electric car and sit inside the garage.

Now try the same thing with a gasoline powered car.

You'll need to be sure and do this in the proper order because the gas auto will kill you and you won't get to try the electric car.

If I had an electric car, it would be powered by a source 93,000,000 miles away. Delivered to right to my roof.
Actually, no: the CO emissions on modern cars are near (and in some cases, ACTUALLY) zero.

There was an outcry, there still is.

In modern times, it's the sole reason our nation's school buses are not outfitted with seat belts.

I remember when seat belts were a big "controversy." The only people who had a problem with it were conservatives and the auto makers.

I was a kid at the time but I never could understand why anyone would pay any attention to people who don't want to make our vehicles safe.

Were you the one person in favor of the seat belt-ignition interlock for 1974?

Higher overall vehicle cost and lower capabilities of the vehicle (generally).

If you want me to buy a “clean(er)” car it cannot cost more and must have at least the same level of capabilities as the older cars.
That is 100%vtotal bullshit.

I have a 2005 Prius. 45 MPG, Carries a shit load of stuff & saves me big money.
I had a loaner Prius for a couple weeks while my truck was in the shop. At first I was pissed because they didn't give me a truck or SUV, that's all they had available. I decided I'd beat the crap out of the Prius. After the two weeks I didn't mind the Prius though. It's an ugly ass car and handles like a big go cart but that thing took a beating and returned amazing gas mileage. Not fast but not as gutless as you'd think it would be either, has just enough pep. Even doing 85 on the highway for a 160 mile round trip where the gas engine is doing the work it got great mpg. It was fun seeing how far you could keep it on just the electric motor from a stop. Also when you come to a stop everything is off. One night I was out late no traffic had the windows down and came to a stop. Complete silence could hear the crickets chirping. Kinda neat. I thought I would hate it but I was actually impressed with it.

My mother had one...I wasn't impressed. Cramped interior, harsh ride with no handling benefit, weird Jetsons-meets-TRON interior kitch, poor handling on the glazed-donut LRR tires, and a very large price premium over a conventional car. The only purpose for it is virtue-signalling.

If you want me to buy a “clean(er)” car it cannot cost more and must have at least the same level of capabilities as the older cars.

Yes I have a 2017 Prius, I had a 2011 Prius, I had a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and my ex had a 2001 Prius.

I can pack a ton of stuff in my Prius and hit the road. I do it every month when I go to my vacation house in the central part of the state. I've packed 11 of my daughter's friends in my Prius too. Then went straight up one of our infamous very tall hills. It went right up the hill no problem. Everyone was packed in and I was laughing hysterically but the car had no problem with it.

It's a great car. I've also saved a ton of money. When we were paying over 4 dollars a gallon for gas in the bush boy years, Only having to fill up the tank twice a month saved me a lot of money. I was still able to keep my gas expenses around 100 dollars a month.

I just filled my car yesterday. It was 3.19 a gallon. I paid 27 dollars to fill my car.

Recheck your math. The premium you paid for the Prius means the ROI from the increased mileage isn't until between 150,000 and 200,000 miles.

Yes I have a 2017 Prius, I had a 2011 Prius, I had a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and my ex had a 2001 Prius.

I can pack a ton of stuff in my Prius and hit the road. I do it every month when I go to my vacation house in the central part of the state. I've packed 11 of my daughter's friends in my Prius too. Then went straight up one of our infamous very tall hills. It went right up the hill no problem. Everyone was packed in and I was laughing hysterically but the car had no problem with it.

It's a great car. I've also saved a ton of money. When we were paying over 4 dollars a gallon for gas in the bush boy years, Only having to fill up the tank twice a month saved me a lot of money. I was still able to keep my gas expenses around 100 dollars a month.

I just filled my car yesterday. It was 3.19 a gallon. I paid 27 dollars to fill my car.

You put 13 people in a car that is built for five and traveled? That sounds dangerous, that means eight people either had no seatbelts or shared.
I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions.

Safety.......that's why...to get the higher mileage and lower emissions you have to make the vehicles lighter...and less safe...but dead people never were an obstacle for left wingers......

Just because they're lighter doesn't mean they aren't safe.

My son totaled my last Prius at the end of 2017. The police didn't expect to find anyone alive in the car when they got to the scene of the accident.

My son walked away without a scratch. He was encased in air bags, the seat belt kept him in place, the engine dropped as the safety regulations required so that engine wasn't in his lap. Airbags even deployed in the foot well so his legs and ankles weren't broken nor shoved into the dashboard by impact. I was in an accident in a regular gas car in 1988 when airbags weren't standard in cars. There wasn't any in the car I was driving. I wore a seatbelt but it doesn't keep your legs from flying into the dashboard. It just kept my upper body in place. There were holes in the dashboard where my knees were embedded. Which caused life long problems with my knees.

The car basically crumbled around my son leaving my son with absolutely no injuries, not even a scratch. My wonderful car, which had a lot of very good memories from all the places it took me, my friends and family, died so that my son lived without even a scratch. I told him it's easy to replace a car. It's impossible to replace him. I thank Toyota and past politicians for making sure that those safety features were in that car so that my son didn't die that cold night in December 2017 just before his birthday.

Just because it's lighter doesn't mean it's not as safe. Those cars have to pass the same safety tests and regulations a regular gas car has to pass. Sedans, including hybrids, have to pass more stricter safety standards than trucks and SUVs.

Don’t underestimate size and weight in car crashes. They have the largest effect on injuries and death.

How car size and weight factor into car accidents

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ed30/3bc3c694aac3b7fdf9356ff37a5c433a7258.pdf

Laws of Physics Persist: In Crashes, Big Cars Win

Now, your Prius ways more than a gas powered car of the same size, so that helps but in vehicle collisions, size and weight matter the most. Just what physics says.

There were 11 kids and myself in that car. We didn't go far. Just up the hill to my house.

My son walked away without a scratch because of the safety features on that car. Just because it's not a big truck or SUV doesn't mean it's not safe.

No your son is lucky. I lost a daughter in a Toyota that got hit by a bigger vehicle and the stats in the linked articles in my previous post, proves that is the case. Numbers don’t lie. A week after our daughter was killed, on that same highway a truck hit an Amish couple in a horse and buggy, they both walked away with no injuries.

Again, the numbers don’t lie, a bigger heavier vehicle will protect you better than a smaller lighter vehicle. That isn’t up to dispute by the professionals that tabulates millions of crashes over decades of numbers.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Nothing can come close to having to lose your child.

However, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crash test ratings and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration safety ratings has the Prius rated 9.2. The NHTSA has the Prius over all rating as 5 stars out of 5 stars.

I put ~65,000 miles on a 1972 Ford F-800 ramp truck. For all practical purposes, it has no safety equipment-not even shoulder belts. If that 18,500lb (empty) truck were to hit a 2019 Prius head-on at 30MPH, which would you rather be in? Be honest.

You put 13 people in a car that is built for five and traveled? That sounds dangerous, that means eight people either had no seatbelts or shared.
Just because they're lighter doesn't mean they aren't safe.

My son totaled my last Prius at the end of 2017. The police didn't expect to find anyone alive in the car when they got to the scene of the accident.

My son walked away without a scratch. He was encased in air bags, the seat belt kept him in place, the engine dropped as the safety regulations required so that engine wasn't in his lap. Airbags even deployed in the foot well so his legs and ankles weren't broken nor shoved into the dashboard by impact. I was in an accident in a regular gas car in 1988 when airbags weren't standard in cars. There wasn't any in the car I was driving. I wore a seatbelt but it doesn't keep your legs from flying into the dashboard. It just kept my upper body in place. There were holes in the dashboard where my knees were embedded. Which caused life long problems with my knees.

The car basically crumbled around my son leaving my son with absolutely no injuries, not even a scratch. My wonderful car, which had a lot of very good memories from all the places it took me, my friends and family, died so that my son lived without even a scratch. I told him it's easy to replace a car. It's impossible to replace him. I thank Toyota and past politicians for making sure that those safety features were in that car so that my son didn't die that cold night in December 2017 just before his birthday.

Just because it's lighter doesn't mean it's not as safe. Those cars have to pass the same safety tests and regulations a regular gas car has to pass. Sedans, including hybrids, have to pass more stricter safety standards than trucks and SUVs.

Don’t underestimate size and weight in car crashes. They have the largest effect on injuries and death.

Now, your Prius ways more than a gas powered car of the same size, so that helps but in vehicle collisions, size and weight matter the most. Just what physics says.

There were 11 kids and myself in that car. We didn't go far. Just up the hill to my house.

My son walked away without a scratch because of the safety features on that car. Just because it's not a big truck or SUV doesn't mean it's not safe.

I put ~65,000 miles on a 1972 Ford F-800 ramp truck. For all practical purposes, it has no safety equipment-not even shoulder belts. If that 18,500lb (empty) truck were to hit a 2019 Prius head-on at 30MPH, which would you rather be in? Be honest.
You without a seat belt or air bags, I'll take the Prius.

Do you have a preference for your style of coffin?

Kinetic energy comparison:
F-800-755 kilojoules.
Prius-147 kJ.

Probable result: F-800 has a bent bumper. Prius is crushed from front bumper to-at least-B-pillar. If the truck overrides the Prius (which it well might), the car will be ripped open end to end, all occupants decapitated. Truck driver will feel a jolt and get yanked against the lap belt, likely won't even hit the steering wheel.

Recheck your math. The premium you paid for the Prius means the ROI from the increased mileage isn't until between 150,000 and 200,000 miles.
How much of a premium do you think I paid for my Prius?

Cmpasre a 30 pg top a 45 mpg: .022 gal/mil vs .033 gal/mi. Savings 1/3 of my fuel costs.

a 30 mpg car would need 6670 gal or cost $20K more than my Prius.

Compare the Prius cost to other vehicles of comparable size, hatchback, storage area.

I saved money. I reduced my emissions, It served my purpose well.

F-800-755 kilojoules.
Prius-147 kJ.

Probable result: F-800 has a bent bumper. Prius is crushed from front bumper to-at least-B-pillar. If the truck overrides the Prius (which it well might), the car will be ripped open end to end, all occupants decapitated. Truck driver will feel a jolt and get yanked against the lap belt, likely won't even hit the steering wheel.
No shoulder belt- your face would be in your steering wheel.

F-800-755 kilojoules.
Prius-147 kJ.

No shoulder belt- your face would be in your steering wheel.

You take the Prius, I’ll take the bigger truck any day. The science of physics, says you are wrong. I will take scientific facts over a novice opinion every time. Statistics also say you are wrong, I think this is also a better source than biased opinion.

There was an outcry, there still is.

In modern times, it's the sole reason our nation's school buses are not outfitted with seat belts.

It is not the sole reason dumbass!

Seatbelts can easily be used as weapons!
In modern times, they bring the weapons in their backpacks.

i was a teacher and school administrator for 21 years. I think I am a little more familiar with the topic than your amateur ass!

Thank you, I don’t dispute that they aren’t safe but if you knew you would be in a head on tomorrow (which I would wish on no one) would you rather be in a Toyota Prius or a Toyota Tacoma?

My son was T boned in the Prius. The other car ran the light and hit my car in the front on the driver's side. He walked away without a scratch.

I was in my Mazda B2200 truck and hit some black ice on a bridge one night. Since there was no weight in the back, as soon as those back tires hit that ice, I was all over the bridge. When I got across the bridge I slid sideways toward a house. The only thing that kept me from going straight into that house was my truck caught the side of the curb and threw me away from the house with the truck landing the driver's side on the ground in the parking lot next to the house. I had to be cut out of the truck. Then taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

So yes, I would rather be in that Prius than that Mazda B2200 in an accident.

Thanks for proving just how stupid you are!

Forum List

Back