Ca Bypasses trump. Makes Deal With 4 Car Companies

This is very interesting.

trump has been trying to take freedom from a handful of states, including California, by taking away their right to set their own air quality standards and requirements on car emissions.

So far 4 car companies have signed on with California to make cars with lower emissions and higher gas mileage no matter what trump does.

I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions. I decided in 2001 to never buy a regular gas car again. And I haven't. I've saved a lot of money on gas and I'm not polluting the air as much. Half the time I'm driving totally on electricity.

I hope California is able to get more car companies to sign on.

California bypasses Trump to sign tougher mileage deal with 4 car makers

Your virtue signaling is annoying

trump has been trying to take freedom from a handful of states, including California, by taking away their right to set their own air quality standards and requirements on car emissions.

So far 4 car companies have signed on with California to make cars with lower emissions and higher gas mileage no matter what trump does.

I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions. I decided in 2001 to never buy a regular gas car again. And I haven't. I've saved a lot of money on gas and I'm not polluting the air as much. Half the time I'm driving totally on electricity.

I own a 2012 VW Jetta TDI. I paid $26k cash new. 500 miles on 3/4 tank with a/c on @ 80mph. It runs circles around a f'n Prius, it was way less money, too. We have a small fleet of Prius' and they are so uncomfortable and butt-ugly. The VW doesn't have an embedded cyber connection either.

Car Manufacturers Are Tracking Millions of Cars - Slashdot

Why didn't you sell it back and how is the "fix" working out?

Fix? What fix? Maybe I missed something, but I wasn't aware there was any real problem with them.

You most certainly did and I question whether or not you ever bought a 2012 TDI new.

No TDI owner is unaware of "the fix".

problem was VW had a program that detected when the car was being tested for gas mileage, and put it in a low-performance mode, that got better gas mileage.

But that program in the car, had zero effect on real world driving. It only really affected the mileage test by the government, which allowed VW to put on a higher gas mileage in their advertising.

In reality, the average MPG were lower than advertised, but honestly, it's a good car, and it gets very good gas mileage. I would not have returned one, if I owned it.

The fix, was equally unimportant. It was a software change in the cars computer, that turned off that low-performance mode. Which since you would rarely if ever accidentally activate the mode by doing a specific combination of steps, it isn't likely that you would ever notice a difference in your cars handling.

Unless you are talking about some other thing, this was a non-event.

So I guess you just decided to forgo your 5k?

Recheck your math. The premium you paid for the Prius means the ROI from the increased mileage isn't until between 150,000 and 200,000 miles.

How much of a premium do you think I paid for my Prius?

Cmpasre a 30 pg top a 45 mpg: .022 gal/mil vs .033 gal/mi. Savings 1/3 of my fuel costs.

a 30 mpg car would need 6670 gal or cost $20K more than my Prius.

Compare the Prius cost to other vehicles of comparable size, hatchback, storage area.

I saved money. I reduced my emissions, It served my purpose well.

My father in law's car cost under $10K, gets 44MPG. He ran the numbers...and they were crystal-clear: the ROI on a hybrid is, for 95+% of drivers, simply not there.

For many it is not about a ROI. Sounds like your FIL drives a fuel efficient car which is good but many do not measure everything by $$$$.

Yeah, but the poster that we were responding to, specifically said "I'm saving a ton of money on gas!".

When you say you are 'saving money' that implies that..... it's about the money.

That said, a few posts back, she posted specifically that there were 4 types of hybrid/EV buyers.

The tech nerds, that want to be the nerd king with their nerd mobile.

The virtue signalers, that want to feel as though they are morally superior because their Earth destroying eco-wrecker car, is less damaging to the planet than yours, and therefore they have superior virtue.

The walking calculator road warrior type, that actually puts 30,000 miles on their car a year, and thus is actually saving money.

And then the majority which are proudly saying they save money, by spending $10,000 more for a car, to save $2,000 in gas, and are oblivious as to why the rest of us think public schools are utter failures at teaching basic math.

So yeah, I agree their are other motivations for buying one of these cars, and think those motivations are idiotic.

You don t have to spend 10,000 more so perhaps you are right about the schools

I just posted all the numbers, and yes, for an EV, you would need to spend roughly $10,000 more. Model 3 is easily $10,000 to any comparable car.

Funny how you illustrate the public school problem, while trying to mock others. I think you need to start trying to think more, before you speak.

How much of a premium do you think I paid for my Prius?

Cmpasre a 30 pg top a 45 mpg: .022 gal/mil vs .033 gal/mi. Savings 1/3 of my fuel costs.

a 30 mpg car would need 6670 gal or cost $20K more than my Prius.

Compare the Prius cost to other vehicles of comparable size, hatchback, storage area.

I saved money. I reduced my emissions, It served my purpose well.

My father in law's car cost under $10K, gets 44MPG. He ran the numbers...and they were crystal-clear: the ROI on a hybrid is, for 95+% of drivers, simply not there.

For many it is not about a ROI. Sounds like your FIL drives a fuel efficient car which is good but many do not measure everything by $$$$.

Yeah, but the poster that we were responding to, specifically said "I'm saving a ton of money on gas!".

When you say you are 'saving money' that implies that..... it's about the money.

That said, a few posts back, she posted specifically that there were 4 types of hybrid/EV buyers.

The tech nerds, that want to be the nerd king with their nerd mobile.

The virtue signalers, that want to feel as though they are morally superior because their Earth destroying eco-wrecker car, is less damaging to the planet than yours, and therefore they have superior virtue.

The walking calculator road warrior type, that actually puts 30,000 miles on their car a year, and thus is actually saving money.

And then the majority which are proudly saying they save money, by spending $10,000 more for a car, to save $2,000 in gas, and are oblivious as to why the rest of us think public schools are utter failures at teaching basic math.

So yeah, I agree their are other motivations for buying one of these cars, and think those motivations are idiotic.

You don t have to spend 10,000 more so perhaps you are right about the schools

I just posted all the numbers, and yes, for an EV, you would need to spend roughly $10,000 more. Model 3 is easily $10,000 to any comparable car.

Funny how you illustrate the public school problem, while trying to mock others. I think you need to start trying to think more, before you speak.

You don't have to buy a Tesla to go electric.

I own a 2012 VW Jetta TDI. I paid $26k cash new. 500 miles on 3/4 tank with a/c on @ 80mph. It runs circles around a f'n Prius, it was way less money, too. We have a small fleet of Prius' and they are so uncomfortable and butt-ugly. The VW doesn't have an embedded cyber connection either.

Car Manufacturers Are Tracking Millions of Cars - Slashdot

Why didn't you sell it back and how is the "fix" working out?
I just noticed the typo, it's a 2011. I only had 14k miles on it when VW fixed it and only 37k now. Like showroom condition. It's a solid car. All good with me.

And who said Trump doesn't like clean air or higher gas mileage? Wait, Ibet you heard that on CNN, right?

Ya, It gets between 6/8 miles to the gallon... Pending on how much lead is in the foot.

1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ls6-ss454

BUT WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!!!!... lol
You can't drive that POS every day. LOL The average power-train failed at 50k miles vs 300k today & was not safe to drive. No Disk Brakes, ABS brakes, Traction Control, Airbags, electric power to run guidance system, GPS or modern electronics. etc It only had 30 amp alternator vs 160 amp today. Can't stop in a 10 acre field, avoid an accident or protect passengers, It has less horsepower & increases fuel consumption 400%!!! We already import half our oil. We can't increase fuel consumption 400% or afford $20/gal gasoline!!! :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Ya, It gets between 6/8 miles to the gallon... Pending on how much lead is in the foot.

You can't drive that POS every day. LOL The average power-train failed at 50k miles vs 300k today & was not safe to drive. No Disk Brakes, ABS brakes, Traction Control, Airbags, electric power to run guidance system, GPS or modern electronics. etc It only had 30 amp alternator vs 160 amp today. Can't stop in a 10 acre field, avoid an accident or protect passengers, It has less horsepower & increases fuel consumption 400%!!! We already import half our oil. We can't increase fuel consumption 400% or afford $20/gal gasoline!!! :cuckoo:
Lol
Much cooler than the shit today... fuck political correctness

We already import half our oil.

You're lying.

And who said Trump doesn't like clean air or higher gas mileage? Wait, Ibet you heard that on CNN, right?

He lowered the standards for air & water quality & ending Obama's program of increasing mpg.

Are you just stupid? I am serious here. How the fuck don't you know this shit?

He lowered the standards for air & water quality & ending Obama's program of increasing mpg.

Yeah, 54.5 MPG was fucking ridiculous.

Higher overall vehicle cost and lower capabilities of the vehicle (generally).

If you want me to buy a “clean(er)” car it cannot cost more and must have at least the same level of capabilities as the older cars.
That is 100%vtotal bullshit.

I have a 2005 Prius. 45 MPG, Carries a shit load of stuff & saves me big money.
I had a loaner Prius for a couple weeks while my truck was in the shop. At first I was pissed because they didn't give me a truck or SUV, that's all they had available. I decided I'd beat the crap out of the Prius. After the two weeks I didn't mind the Prius though. It's an ugly ass car and handles like a big go cart but that thing took a beating and returned amazing gas mileage. Not fast but not as gutless as you'd think it would be either, has just enough pep. Even doing 85 on the highway for a 160 mile round trip where the gas engine is doing the work it got great mpg. It was fun seeing how far you could keep it on just the electric motor from a stop. Also when you come to a stop everything is off. One night I was out late no traffic had the windows down and came to a stop. Complete silence could hear the crickets chirping. Kinda neat. I thought I would hate it but I was actually impressed with it.

My mother had one...I wasn't impressed. Cramped interior, harsh ride with no handling benefit, weird Jetsons-meets-TRON interior kitch, poor handling on the glazed-donut LRR tires, and a very large price premium over a conventional car. The only purpose for it is virtue-signalling.

My uncle had a Prius too. I remember getting into it for the first time, and having a "This is it?" moment. That isn't to say the car wasn't good... but relative to the additional cost of that car, the results were significantly underwhelming.

That said, you would have to know my uncle. This is the guy who in high school, was constantly buying the latest gadget, so he could go around impressing people with some nifty, yet unimportant feature, that his thingy could do, and yours could not.

And it wasn't like it was arrogance, it was simply his nature that, cool gadgets is what got him excited. So all we day, he's telling me "see it's turning off the engine!" and "See it's turning the engine back on!".

Again it was nifty, but seriously, do you really think it's worth paying $10,000 more for what is otherwise an average car so that you can "hear the crickets" in an expensive car?

Now if that's your thing... and that's worth $10,000 more for an average car... far be it from me to suggest you do otherwise.

I've just never understood how people can pay $10,000 more for a car, to save $3,000 in gas.

Now with my uncle, is almost made sense... almost. He was driving a thousand miles a week, because he was working in southern Ohio, while his home was north of Chicago.

Of course the moment me moved, he started driving his Camaro again.

The 2019 Prius starts at $24K. Show me the cars of similar size & style that sell for $14K

We already import half our oil.

You're lying.

Correct! In fact, in 2017, we imported only 19%. Now it is probably less.

See, another Trumpette against raising CAFE standards.

The agreement was with 13 automakers.
Are you afraid that emissions will be reduced? Or do you have oil stocks?

CAFE standards should be eliminated, not raised to a moronic 54.5 MPG.

Hell NO! Raise the MPG, but get rid of the other expensive gas guzzling crap like big aluminum rims, emissions & catalytic converters.

Hell NO! Raise the MPG, but get rid of the other expensive gas guzzling crap like big aluminum rims, emissions & catalytic converters.

Raise your own MPG.

First of all, I don't watch CNN. I turned that channel off in 2004.

Unlike you, I'm not programmed by a stupid cable so called for profit news station. I get my news from independent sources. Such as Canada. It's illegal to lie in the news in Canada. I get my news from the Christian Science Monitor, they don't have a political bias. I get my news from unbiased sources which means I get real news that's the truth. Unlike you and anyone who watches for profit news on cable.

Words are air. Anyone can say words. That's easy. What I pay attention to is their actions. What do they do?

trump's actions say he doesn't like clean air or high gas mileage. He has removed some clean air standards or loosened others. He has lowered mileage requirements and standards on pollution coming out of the tailpipes of cars. He wants to take away the right for states to set air quality standards so places like California can't clean up their air. Every state has to meet the EPA standards but until trump every state has also had the right to set higher standards if they want to. You know, state's rights. trump wants to take that state right away. So California is going around trump to get the car companies to build their cars according to standards that California want to establish for their state but trump is fighting to prevent.

Raise your own MPG.
NO! - You repay me for all the money I had to spend on wars defending oil & shipping lanes first. Then subsidize my gas price after $0.25/gal & I will think about it. Trump just raised postage 10%, so you can subsidize my shipping also! Plus all the inflation this has & will cause!

Last edited:

Raise your own MPG.
NO! - You repay me for all the money I had to spend on wars defending oil & shipping lanes first. Then subsidize my gas price after $0.25/gal & I will think about it. Trump just raised postage 10%, so you can subsidize my shipping also!

Tell me more about our oil imports, idiot.

Forum List

Back