Ca Bypasses trump. Makes Deal With 4 Car Companies

This is very interesting.

trump has been trying to take freedom from a handful of states, including California, by taking away their right to set their own air quality standards and requirements on car emissions.

So far 4 car companies have signed on with California to make cars with lower emissions and higher gas mileage no matter what trump does.

I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions. I decided in 2001 to never buy a regular gas car again. And I haven't. I've saved a lot of money on gas and I'm not polluting the air as much. Half the time I'm driving totally on electricity.

I hope California is able to get more car companies to sign on.

California bypasses Trump to sign tougher mileage deal with 4 car makers
I own a 2012 VW Jetta TDI. I paid $26k cash new. 500 miles on 3/4 tank with a/c on @ 80mph. It runs circles around a f'n Prius, it was way less money, too. We have a small fleet of Prius' and they are so uncomfortable and butt-ugly. The VW doesn't have an embedded cyber connection either.

Car Manufacturers Are Tracking Millions of Cars - Slashdot

Why didn't you sell it back and how is the "fix" working out?

Fix? What fix? Maybe I missed something, but I wasn't aware there was any real problem with them.

You most certainly did and I question whether or not you ever bought a 2012 TDI new.

No TDI owner is unaware of "the fix".

problem was VW had a program that detected when the car was being tested for gas mileage, and put it in a low-performance mode, that got better gas mileage.

But that program in the car, had zero effect on real world driving. It only really affected the mileage test by the government, which allowed VW to put on a higher gas mileage in their advertising.

In reality, the average MPG were lower than advertised, but honestly, it's a good car, and it gets very good gas mileage. I would not have returned one, if I owned it.

The fix, was equally unimportant. It was a software change in the cars computer, that turned off that low-performance mode. Which since you would rarely if ever accidentally activate the mode by doing a specific combination of steps, it isn't likely that you would ever notice a difference in your cars handling.

Unless you are talking about some other thing, this was a non-event.

So I guess you just decided to forgo your 5k?
"No TDI owner is unaware of "the fix"."

That's for sure. A lot of mail from law firms. I still get some now and then. Mostly about lemon law.

See, another Trumpette against raising CAFE standards.

The agreement was with 13 automakers.
Are you afraid that emissions will be reduced? Or do you have oil stocks?

CAFE standards should be eliminated, not raised to a moronic 54.5 MPG.
Hell NO! Raise the MPG, but get rid of the other expensive gas guzzling crap like big aluminum rims, emissions & catalytic converters.

Raise your own MPG.
NO! - You repay me for all the money I had to spend on wars defending oil & shipping lanes first. Then subsidize my gas price after $0.25/gal & I will think about it. Trump just raised postage 10%, so you can subsidize my shipping also!

Tell me more about our oil imports, idiot.
Dear IDIOT! The automobiles are driven for 15 years. Just because imports drop to 4.2 million barrels per day for a few months or years, don't mean jack! There are already reports of peak fracing & most wells falling short of their 5 year production estimates. The US is still consuming 21 million barrels per day & rising due to enormous consumption of oil used to frac more oil.

CAFE standards should be eliminated, not raised to a moronic 54.5 MPG.
Hell NO! Raise the MPG, but get rid of the other expensive gas guzzling crap like big aluminum rims, emissions & catalytic converters.

Raise your own MPG.
NO! - You repay me for all the money I had to spend on wars defending oil & shipping lanes first. Then subsidize my gas price after $0.25/gal & I will think about it. Trump just raised postage 10%, so you can subsidize my shipping also!

Dear IDIOT! The automobiles are driven for 15 years. Just because imports drop to 4.2 million barrels per day for a few months or years, don't mean jack! There are already reports of peak fracing & most wells falling short of their 5 year production estimates. The US is still consuming 21 million barrels per day & rising due to enormous consumption of oil used to frac more oil.

Just because imports drop to 4.2 million barrels per day for a few months or years, don't mean jack!

It means your 50% claim was hopelessly incorrect. Moron.

Make America Great Again?
Is going backwards, going to Make America Great again? NO.
1980-2014_baby_graphic_1.png

New York Pre Clean Air Act and New York in 2013.
new_york_city_1973_vs_2013.jpg
new_york_city_1973_vs_2013.jpg

economic_effects_infographic-01.6-01.png

The three above charts/picture are from Trump's own EPA.
History of Reducing Air Pollution from Transportation in the United States | US EPA
Going back, like Trump and the Little Trumpsters obediently want to do, is a regression for America, it's health and the economy.

Raise your own MPG.

Just because imports drop to 4.2 million barrels per day for a few months or years, don't mean jack!

You are the idiot who believes the frack pumps, manufacturing, thousands of truckloads men, gravel, equipment, distillates, oil, water & sand needed to frack each low production oil well all run on Fairy Dust!!! We still get little of that oil into our vehicles that are NOT used in oil production. Conservation is the best solution!!!

Last edited:
Raise your own MPG.

You are the idiot who believes the frack pumps, manufacturing, thousands of truckloads men, gravel, equipment, distillates, oil, water & sand needed to frack each low production oil well all run on Fairy Dust!!! We still get little of that oil into our vehicles that are NOT used in oil production. Conservation is the best solution!!!

We still get little of that oil into our vehicles that are NOT used in oil production.

Says the idiot who claimed we imported 50% of our oil.....durr.

This is very interesting.

trump has been trying to take freedom from a handful of states, including California, by taking away their right to set their own air quality standards and requirements on car emissions.

So far 4 car companies have signed on with California to make cars with lower emissions and higher gas mileage no matter what trump does.

I don't understand why anyone would be against higher mileage and lower emissions. I decided in 2001 to never buy a regular gas car again. And I haven't. I've saved a lot of money on gas and I'm not polluting the air as much. Half the time I'm driving totally on electricity.

I hope California is able to get more car companies to sign on.

California bypasses Trump to sign tougher mileage deal with 4 car makers
Ya, It gets between 6/8 miles to the gallon... Pending on how much lead is in the foot.

1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ls6-ss454

BUT WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!!!!... lol
You can't drive that POS every day. LOL The average power-train failed at 50k miles vs 300k today & was not safe to drive. No Disk Brakes, ABS brakes, Traction Control, Airbags, electric power to run guidance system, GPS or modern electronics. etc It only had 30 amp alternator vs 160 amp today. Can't stop in a 10 acre field, avoid an accident or protect passengers, It has less horsepower & increases fuel consumption 400%!!! We already import half our oil. We can't increase fuel consumption 400% or afford $20/gal gasoline!!! :cuckoo:
You're adorable.

Higher overall vehicle cost and lower capabilities of the vehicle (generally).

If you want me to buy a “clean(er)” car it cannot cost more and must have at least the same level of capabilities as the older cars.
That is 100%vtotal bullshit.

I have a 2005 Prius. 45 MPG, Carries a shit load of stuff & saves me big money.
I had a loaner Prius for a couple weeks while my truck was in the shop. At first I was pissed because they didn't give me a truck or SUV, that's all they had available. I decided I'd beat the crap out of the Prius. After the two weeks I didn't mind the Prius though. It's an ugly ass car and handles like a big go cart but that thing took a beating and returned amazing gas mileage. Not fast but not as gutless as you'd think it would be either, has just enough pep. Even doing 85 on the highway for a 160 mile round trip where the gas engine is doing the work it got great mpg. It was fun seeing how far you could keep it on just the electric motor from a stop. Also when you come to a stop everything is off. One night I was out late no traffic had the windows down and came to a stop. Complete silence could hear the crickets chirping. Kinda neat. I thought I would hate it but I was actually impressed with it.

My mother had one...I wasn't impressed. Cramped interior, harsh ride with no handling benefit, weird Jetsons-meets-TRON interior kitch, poor handling on the glazed-donut LRR tires, and a very large price premium over a conventional car. The only purpose for it is virtue-signalling.
Didn't say I'd buy one, it isn't bad for what it is though, I expected worse. The handling is predictable neutral, I got it sideways and it's not bad for a go cart, better than I expected at least. It had characteristics I loved about it and some I hated. I thought it would be a POS but it is a capable vehicle.

Forum List

Back