California appeals court has ruled that bees are “fish” for purposes of the state’s endangered species act

That's the thing, it's going to be awfully difficult to prove that people are killing bees since they're so tiny and they're just not going to go door to door knocking on them and asking them if they're killing any bees. So I don't know how they will enforce it, but every year there are less and less bees and the less bees there are,.. the more our fruits and vegetables will suffer because of it.
Very true. But some folks are doing something. I've been working on growing mason bees for several years, with little success, but this year I got great hatching rates. Unfortunately, the hatching needs to coincide with a food supply so I had to hatch them while my fruit trees were blooming, and then we had a snap where it got too cold at night and few of them survived. I'll get it. Everyone who has a food supply for them can grow mason bees, and they are far, far, far better pollinators than honey bees. And later in the summer, we can use leafcutter bees for the later blooming crops. Like mason bees, they are solitary, non-hiving, and they lay their young in paper tubes, and you just save the cocoons in the fridge until it's time to hatch in spring.

Very true. But some folks are doing something. I've been working on growing mason bees for several years, with little success, but this year I got great hatching rates. Unfortunately, the hatching needs to coincide with a food supply so I had to hatch them while my fruit trees were blooming, and then we had a snap where it got too cold at night and few of them survived. I'll get it. Everyone who has a food supply for them can grow mason bees, and they are far, far, far better pollinators than honey bees. And later in the summer, we can use leafcutter bees for the later blooming crops. Like mason bees, they are solitary, non-hiving, and they lay their young in paper tubes, and you just save the cocoons in the fridge until it's time to hatch in spring.

How do you grow a bee? Are we talking about hornet style or what?

How do you grow a bee? Are we talking about hornet style or what?
No. Mason bees are exremely gentle. They deposit their cocoons in paper tubes in a house you set up for them, using a special mud that you supply, and they build a "cell" of mud for each cocoon -- thus they're called "mason" bees. When their season is over, you harvest the cocoons and sort them for health and viability, and then put them in hibernation in the fridge. Or you can just buy them from a company that will have them shipped to you while it's still cold. Here's what a sample mason bee house looks like.
1654293542615.png

They are crazy wonderful pollinators.

I was so scared when I learned that the honey bees are under assault, but mason bees look like a viable stopgap measure while we figure out how to save the honey bees.

No. Mason bees are exremely gentle. They deposit their cocoons in paper tubes in a house you set up for them, using a special mud that you supply, and they build a "cell" of mud for each cocoon -- thus they're called "mason" bees. When their season is over, you harvest the cocoons and sort them for health and viability, and then put them in hibernation in the fridge. Or you can just buy them from a company that will have them shipped to you while it's still cold. Here's what a sample mason bee house looks like.
View attachment 653632

They are crazy wonderful pollinators.

I was so scared when I learned that the honey bees are under assault, but mason bees look like a viable stopgap measure while we figure out how to save the honey bees.

So when you said grow them you literally meant that? I thought you just used the wrong word lol

So when you said grow them you literally meant that? I thought you just used the wrong word lol
No. I buy cocoons and put them outside when it's time to hatch, and -- ideally -- harvest and save them to hatch the next year. I'll be so happy when I actually get a good crop of cocoons to save over the winter. They're a little expensive -- about $1.50 each -- so when I can save my own from fall to the following spring, I won't have to buy them.

No. I buy cocoons and put them outside when it's time to hatch, and -- ideally -- harvest and save them to hatch the next year. I'll be so happy when I actually get a good crop of cocoons to save over the winter. They're a little expensive -- about $1.50 each -- so when I can save my own from fall to the following spring, I won't have to buy them.

e36.gif

I do honey bees. they grow themselves and sacrifice the males in winter. Their murderous ways are quite fascinateing.
Wish I had a situation in which I could keep a hive. The only crop close enough is probably GM corn and I don't even know if honey bees do corn.

Just when you think you have heard everything from the insane left...

- They don't know what bathroom to use...

- They're putting tampons in the boy's bathrooom

- They believe men can have babies

- They don't know what a 'woman' is

......now California crazies declare Bumblebees are FISH under new environmental laws.

""A bumblebee is a fish under California law, a California court said in a ruling this week."

Democrats, like Joe, have lost their damn minds.

Let's see what other insane things they believe in:

Weather is going to kill us all in a few years
There are dozens of genders
The 2A is for hunting
Uncontrolled govt spending is good for the economy
A flu can be called a pandemic
Masks stop an airborne virus
Our elections are fraud free but only when they win
Pedo Joe got 81 million votes
Inflation is Patriotic
Nothing is ever diaper guys fault
The Constitution means whatever they say
Baby murder is a moral choice
Grooming kids is covered by the 1st Amendment but free speech isn't
Pedophiles are just misunderstood
Jan 6 was an actual unarmed insurrection
Laws don't apply to them
Kamala makes sense when she talks

Let's see what other insane things they believe in:

Weather is going to kill us all in a few years
There are dozens of genders
The 2A is for hunting
Uncontrolled govt spending is good for the economy
A flu can be called a pandemic
Masks stop an airborne virus
Our elections are fraud free but only when they win
Pedo Joe got 81 million votes
Inflation is Patriotic
Nothing is ever diaper guys fault
The Constitution means whatever they say
Baby murder is a moral choice
Grooming kids is covered by the 1st Amendment but free speech isn't
Pedophiles are just misunderstood
Jan 6 was an actual unarmed insurrection
Laws don't apply to them
Kamala makes sense when she talks
You forgot an important one:

"Everything is Orange Man's fault".

Back when I was (sort of) a feminist, I used the original form of that quote quite readily.

I am so ashamed of what I just admitted.
Not to worry. I used to use the term "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy".

But now it is saturday morning, instead

Forum List

Back