California suffering through SEVERE climate change

And yes, California could have opted to build desalination facilities years ago, some cities did, however the vast majority opted to roll the dice and blame everyone else for their stupidity. Reminds me of the fable about the wolf and three little pigs. But then again what more can one expect it is after all California.

And unfortunately, so will the rest of the USA that relies on Delano and small towns like it that supply most of what goes on yer tables.

California Drought Tests History of Endless Growth

just like the failure of capitalism build, build, build, grow, grow, grow. Its unsustainable.

“If this gets out of control, I’ll probably end up leaving,” Mr. Smith said. “This has been a problem for as long as I’ve been alive.”

“I’ve watched this state get trampled by developers,” he added. “They keep building homes, but where’s the water going to come from?”

This is the first accurate thing you have said in this thread.
hyperbole much?

back to topic,

I think we can very easily go back just a little further and find a far more fundamental cause. More people moved to California than the environment could ever support. Who is to blame for that? Land developers, real estate moguls, investors... in short, businessmen looking to make a profit.

:wtf:

Nobody forced anyone to move to California. Nobody would have ever built new homes if there weren't people who wanted to buy them.

California was and is a beautiful state. This states FEEDS most of you. We don't control the weather and FOOD takes A LOT OF WATER to feed the USA.

U.S. Drought Monitor

U.S. Drought Monitor U.S. Drought Portal

Take a good look at this map. Not only the crops in California, but the crops in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Wheat, potatos, and onions, plus beef. You are going to pay more for them in the coming months, more than the increases that you have already seen. If a drought also develops in the Dakatos, then the world's food supply is going to be seriously affected.

And yes, California could have opted to build desalination facilities years ago, some cities did, however the vast majority opted to roll the dice and blame everyone else for their stupidity. Reminds me of the fable about the wolf and three little pigs. But then again what more can one expect it is after all California.
How much are you willing to pay for crops from California? Have you the slightest idea of the cost of desalinization?

Cost of Desalination - HowStuffWorks

So, what is holding us back from diving in headfirst? Until recently, purifying seawater cost roughly five to 10 times as much as drawing freshwater from more traditional sources [source: USGS]. RO filters have come a long way, however, and desalination today costs only half of what it did 10 to 15 years ago. Consequently, transportation, energy and environmental costs have now replaced technology as the primary impediments to large-scale desalination [source: Maloni, NRC-WSTB].

Energy consumption accounts for as much as one-third of the total cost of desalinated water, making even coastal plants expensive to operate [source: Maloni, NRC-WSTB]. Inland states must also grapple with the sizeable expense of transporting seawater inland. They can opt to use local brackish (salty) water sources, instead, but then they face a different problem: how to dispose of the byproduct, a concentrated salt solution that coastal sites have the luxury of pumping back into the ocean (a practice that remains controversial in environmental circles). Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) plants are one way out, but they drive up the energy costs of what is already an energy-intensive process [source: NRC-WSTB].

Is desalination cost-effective? The answer probably depends on where you live. Given the high costs of freshwater importation and reclamation, desalinating seawater is an increasingly attractive option for water-stressed areas. The potential for desalination is limited mostly by social, political, environmental and economic considerations, which vary from place to place. Any way you look at it, the rising tide of desalination seems likely to remain a growing part of our water portfolio for years to come.

California has but begun to learn that stupidity has consequences.
Unless you have a very good paying job, you are going to be paying the cost of the drought in the West. In food prices, and in many other ways.

Yes, California, as well as the rest of the US should be preparing for the consequences of a rapidly changing climate. But guess who is doing everything they can to prevent that from happening? It is not the liberals or Dems. You dumb fucks in denial are the chief impediment to responding to what is happening.

Can YOU predict where the next drought will occur? You have access to the same data as do I.

I predict that the next drought will occur in a place with a history of dought....a place where drought is part of the natural cycle....a place where the native plants and animals have evolved and adapted to drought. Care to provide evidence to the contrary?

CA's water problem is due to lack of investment in storage and distribution infrastructure for the past few decades. While the population has more than doubled, we've actually lost capacity due to enviro efforts to have dams destroyed.

This is naturally arid country which was able to be used for agriculture due to dams, reservoirs, and irrigation. We need reservoirs to store water during wet years.

Also, the El Nino has been very inactive for the past few years. We're expecting a weak one this winter; should result in some rain, but not enough.

Like I said earlier...the only thing california is suffering is misuse of its natural resources and liberal politicians.

I said "My contention is that the chance of droughts like this occurring increases with increasing global warming. Precipitation in the western US is strongly subject to the ENSO cycles whose timing and magnitude have been affected by global warming. Whatever the cause of this drought, there exists a very high likelihood that due to global warming, we will see more of these in the future than we have seen in the past. THAT is my position."

Are you under the impression that pre-industrial rainfall in southern california was so low that it's not possible for the area to suffer a drought?

Paleo history tells us that during warm periods, the world was a much greener place....Was that because there were more droughts...green droughts perhaps?

Why are you quoting me from 12 pages back?

My position has not changed. Your comments are still irrelevant either to them or to the topic.

Of what does paleoclimatology inform us that you find so crucial to your position?

Prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine, Death Valley was know as Lush Green Valley.

Uh huh.

When you adjust the data, it becomes true

Can I get an Amen ( call for peer review)

Forum List

Back