Can a sworn oath or vow to God be undone, become 'expired,' or otherwise cease to be in effect?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Referencing the military oath of enlistment just now, as far as I know, since that oath was sworn to God, it never becomes null and void. Yes, no, maybe? Anyone know of precedence where an oath was no longer held as binding?

While I no longer have officers appointed above me or am subject to the UCMJ, I consider my oath still valid. I don't believe I actually mentioned God, but I would not consider that to be binding.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962)."
Oath of Enlistment

"Solemnly swear" and "so help me God" makes it a religious vow unless I guess you said "affirm" and made it known you were opting out of the so help me God part. But most of us I imagine say the thing as recited to us. Makes it a religious oath insofar as my question goes.

Not the only site with this question it seems googling around,

do oaths to god ever expire

"It was a long time ago so I may have forgotten but I don't recall seeing anything about being released from my oath of enlistment when I ETS'd.

I consider the Oath to be a permanent commitment.
Anyone know what the US code says about that?"

answers:

I don;t know about the US Code, but when I was outprocessing the captain who gave me my Army Lapel Pin told me I was still bound to my oath. And of course I am fully in support of it as an American and would never renounce it anyway.

Dunno what the code says but I will always honor the oath I took.

Nope. I distinctly recall swearing that oath twice. At no time did I ever "unswear", renounce, or otherwise shirk my duty to uphold that oath. When I ETSd I was never told "You no longer are bound by your oath..." IMNSHO the oath is permanent.

etc

Referencing the military oath of enlistment just now, as far as I know, since that oath was sworn to God, it never becomes null and void. Yes, no, maybe? Anyone know of precedence where an oath was no longer held as binding?
It ends when your enlistment ends dummy

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962)."
Oath of Enlistment
Care to point out where in this oath requires respect for anyone? As for the oath it is only binding while on active or reserve duty. Or are you arguing that I am still under obligation to the regulations of the military and the Uniform code of Military Justice?

I am NOT required to obey the orders of officers of the Military since none are appointed over me as a retiree. Nor am I required to obey the orders of the Preside4nt of the United States any more. The oath is sworn to and applies only while active or reserve.

What if I didn't believe in God when I took the oath?

"Solemnly swear" and "so help me God" makes it a religious vow unless I guess you said "affirm" and made it known you were opting out of the so help me God part. But most of us I imagine say the thing as recited to us. Makes it a religious oath insofar as my question goes.

There is nothing about that oath that makes it religious, oh he who has his head up his ass, the Constitution specifically forbids that interpretation of the oath.

There is nothing about that oath that makes it religious, oh he who has his head up his ass, the Constitution specifically forbids your interpretation of the oath.

If something is false, then it cannot be binding with God's will.

If something is true, then it is in accord with God's will, so how can it be forsaken?

Forum List

Back