Can Bergdahl be liable in military or civilian court if anyone died looking for him?

The families might be able to sue him but why I don't know his or his families financial status but I highly doubt they have enough to make it worth the trouble. If he did desert and I had lost a family member who had to searching for him after that I would much rather see him dishonorably discharged and do prison time than get any money from him or his family.

Books, movies, and speaking engagements could make them rich.

The families might be able to sue him but why I don't know his or his families financial status but I highly doubt they have enough to make it worth the trouble. If he did desert and I had lost a family member who had to searching for him after that I would much rather see him dishonorably discharged and do prison time than get any money from him or his family.

Unless something changes drastically in the story of his capture I doubt any of those will be big money makers.

Unless something changes drastically in the story of his capture I doubt any of those will be big money makers.

So far a "story" is about all we know - the facts are yet to be made public, including his mental and physical examinations/evaluations.

I've heard that the Bergdahls are Republicans/Conservatives. Gee, I wonder who the threats are coming from...

Bob Bergdahl Is A Republican. Surprise!

Bergdahl's Dad: Drone Killed Captor's Kid - The Daily Beast

What you heard and choose to misrepresent was that Bob Bergdahl grew up in a conservative family and once voted for Reagan and gave a speech at a Republican fundraiser none of which makes him Republican. Using that logic I must be a Democrat because I once voted for Ann Richards for Governor and Jesse Jackson in a Democratic primary using the Daily Kos as the source speaks for it's self.

I've heard that the Bergdahls are Republicans/Conservatives. Gee, I wonder who the threats are coming from...

What you heard and choose to misrepresent was that Bob Bergdahl grew up in a conservative family and once voted for Reagan and gave a speech at a Republican fundraiser none of which makes him Republican. Using that logic I must be a Democrat because I once voted for Ann Richards for Governor and Jesse Jackson in a Democratic primary using the Daily Kos as the source speaks for it's self.

Daily Kos is not the "source"...

So far a "story" is about all we know - the facts are yet to be made public, including his mental and physical examinations/evaluations.

Somehow I suspect if those evaluations showed something to explain or justify his actions they would have already been made public.

What's Bowe going to speak about? How to plan to go AWOL while in Fort Richardson, Alaska before being deployed to Afghanistan? How to send your uniforms home 2 weeks into your one year deployment? How to sneak from one AO to the other AO at NTC in California? Or could it possibly be, "How not to be rejected from the French Foreign Legion"?

CaféAuLait;9227059 said:

What's Bowe going to speak about? How to plan to go AWOL while in Fort Richardson, Alaska before being deployed to Afghanistan? How to send your uniforms home 2 weeks into your one year deployment? How to sneak from one AO to the other AO at NTC in California? Or could it possibly be, "How not to be rejected from the French Foreign Legion"?

His Daddy also has a pretty awesome story to tell.

Daily Kos is not the "source"...
it was the Kos linking another source while putting there usual misrepresentation on the story and no matter which source you want to cite two events in his lifetime voting for Reagan and speaking at one Republican fundraiser I'm not adding the conservative family he grew up in as he had no say in his fathers politics does not make him a Republican. Of course you already know that which is why you choose not to address that part of my post.

Officials would not disclose if Sergeant Bergdahl has made any special requests. One thing, however, that does rub him wrong is when hospital staff call him “sergeant,” the result of two automatic promotions while a captive.

“He says, ‘Don’t call me that,’ ” said one American official. “ ‘I didn’t go before the boards. I didn’t earn it.’ ”

More: As Bowe Bergdahl Heals, Details Emerge of His Captivity

Sounds like an ethical person...

Officials would not disclose if Sergeant Bergdahl has made any special requests. One thing, however, that does rub him wrong is when hospital staff call him “sergeant,” the result of two automatic promotions while a captive.

“He says, ‘Don’t call me that,’ ” said one American official. “ ‘I didn’t go before the boards. I didn’t earn it.’ ”

More: As Bowe Bergdahl Heals, Details Emerge of His Captivity

Sounds like an ethical person...

More likely because he says this as he shipped he belongings home 2 weeks into his deployment and planned to desert before ever arriving:

"I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools" "The US army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies" "The horror that is america is disgusting"

Bowe Bergdahl: America's Last Prisoner of War by Michael Hastings | Politics News | Rolling Stone

"Ethical" people don't go AWOL and leave their battle buddies to die looking for them.

Could families of any solder(s) who may have been killed while searching for him file civil lawsuits? My business law doesn't cover such things, but my guess is the answer is NO.

It seems to me that the military superiors who ordered any searches for him would be most directly liable.

I would appreciate any intelligent input from legal minds.

Thank you.

Falls under the UCMJ and squarely on the shoulders of the soldier in question...and what the military does to him for his actions. NO CIVIL ACTION can be taken.

A couple of hundred Soldiers were court-martialed for desertion in WW2 and 49 were sentenced to death. One was executed by firing squad. It sounds like the death penalty is reasonable in the Bergdahl case.

Forum List

Back