Can I Sleep In Your Arms Tonight Lady?

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Listen to the song, for sure, but just before the 3 minute mark, the piano solo starts-

Hair is more impressive, dont see much of that style anymore..........starts closer to 2.30 mark

• Banned
Willie is referred to as an Icon- if I was in control of encyclopedia content, I'd say, simply- he is a Master of his craft and the epitome of the Wandering Minstrel- oh, and he's a Texan-

That clip is from 1976 just as he was hitting the big time- I remember watching the CMA show right around then, when Blue Eyes Cryin in The Rain was at the top- I had seen him in person long before then at a venue, in Houston, called The Fireman's Parade of Stars (held in Jones auditorium in downtown Houston in 69? maybe 70) and he was good then! But, the camera man on the awards show held close ups of him while singing and I became a FAN because of the sincerity I saw in his eyes and heard that night in his voice-

I read his recent book, Me and Sister, Bobbie and he claims she has way more musical talent than he does- she does play the piano- and the flourish she has after the solo is over is, to me, mesmerising-

What they have him his sister and the rest is a gift. I could take all the lessons and practice my whole life and never get a sound like they have.

I could take all the lessons and practice my whole life and never get a sound like they have.
IMO, you don't really want their sound, if, what you're looking for is to tap your talent/skill- develop your own sound using their music as a guide for what you want to accomplish- a style- all your own-

Willie is an anomaly- I read, years ago, somebody in his family (not sure who, or if it's even true) told him he was a pretty good guitar player, but a lousy singer- years later, a who's who in recording wanted to record with him and many still do- want to. So much for others opinions. Right?

His style (and Waylons, for that matter- among others who preferred doing things their way created a whole new genre in Country music- Outlaw) - they didn't like the empty suit approach to homogenizing their music- voila! Outlaw- Kris Kristofferson is another great example of style (and writing talent) whose voice leaves a lot to be desired, but, he had style-

BTW, I also read that Willie lamented one time, it took him 20 years to become an over night sensation- Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain did that- then he could seemingly do no wrong, musically- and Bobbie was beside and behind him all the way - she's a great pianist- watch that video and watch, as well as listen- they both really get into what they're doing-

Forum List

Back