Can Liberals Criticise Obama?

I'm drunk enough! What are we talking about again?
Umm..............

............the Bond market and its effect on 3rd world nations?

Ah yes of course. The bond market is putting the jaws of 3rd world nations up against the curb and stomping their boots against th--... wait wasn't Obama supposed to be involved in this thread somehow? Something about criticalisms, or crackasizzlems... some crazy thing or another

If you are a liberal or Democrat, I' like to hear from you about what you do not like, or have not liked, about the Obama administration.

I'll go first -

1) Austerity. In Obama's first day in power five years ago, I thought he should have anounced austerity cuts, and big ones. He had the public support to actually go out and say "We're damn near broke" and slash a billion or so off spending. I didn't mind the Stim Pack per se, but I think spending cuts needed to go along side it.

2) Climate Change. Obama has been too passive on this. I'd like to have seen clearer statements of intent, backed by science ordinary people could understand, so that Americans could understand more of the issue.

3) Admitting Error. Maybe it's unreasonable, but with some of the scandals like 'Fast & Furious' I'd always like to see politicians admit that mistakes were made. I think people would respect it more than excuses.

4) Closing the revolving door between Goldman Sachs and the White House. Stop hiring people from lobbies, and put distance between lobbies and positions of responsibility.

5) Cut military spending. I'd like Obama to stand up to the military, and present a long term strategy of reducing spending massively, and converting the military into a force that can deal with guerillas and al Queda, and rely less on cold war thinking.

1) Do you know if any government launched an auserity program at that time they would have created a depression and revenue would have dropped making a worse deficit? Are you really that stupid when it comes to economics?

I've checked Obama's record and we don't agree on many things, but there are very many things and I don't expect to agree with anyone on everything.

One of the biggies is the Democrats should have pushed for a Medicare for all, single payer solution to health care. Maybe they didn't do it because the economy was too weak and it would have changed GDP, but it would have taken about a trillion dollars per year out of the health care business that isn't funding health care professionals. If they were smart, they would have pushed it to be controlled by a tax exempt, non-profit organization.

Obama supported a fence at the Mexican border and if he meant fencing off the whole border, I don't a fence would have an impact and would just be a waste of money.

731px-thumbnail.jpg

Two men scale the border fence into Mexico a few hundred yards away from where Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalions (NMCB) 133 and NMCB-14 are building a 1,500 foot-long concrete-lined drainage ditch and a 10 foot-high wall to increase security along the U.S. and Mexico border in Douglas, Ariz.

Source: File:US Navy 090317-N-5253T-016 Two men scale the border fence into Mexico a few hundred yards away from where Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalions (NMCB) 133 and NMCB-14 are building a 1,500 foot-long concrete-lined dr.jpg - Wikipedia,

Those must be some short Mexicans if that's the 10 foot-high wall. I think it was a fence they were replacing or were increasing addition security.

Unfortunately, Obama is not a Liberal.

Obama is a libertarian leaning liberal. He just isn't a hard core liberal which some people think are the only kind of liberal there is.

Yeah, but he campaigned as a Liberal. So far, he's pretty much maintained the Conservative status quo.

Loinboy nailed most of it.

What I see with Obama is he will compromise to govern. A President has to be President of the whole country and not an ideology. I would do the same thing to get things done.

There are several things on economic matters Obama overlooked. He should have held imports to the recession low and insisted the jobs return to America with a program to phase in fair trade. That means if a country won't buy our imports, then we cut how we buy theirs, if they fall short of the quota. I would have negotiate with the corporations as well as other nations and let them know how to use or lose our market. I think I could get support from corporations that pay for this expensive health care to get real change and have them pressuring the Republicans. I would have worked out a way to phase it in. I would have pushed immigration reform earlier, including legal immigration with a plan to grow our way out of this crisis. A couple million more legal immigrants wouldn't have hurt the housing market, though I'm sure it would piss off the unemployed. I would have targeted the rich to immigrate as well as others.

In truth, since none of us have walked in President Obama's shoes - we just don't really know. It's easy to criticize and pass judgement from the outside. I would say overall that he's done a fairly good job in spite of the obstructionist Congress he's had to work with.

If you are a liberal or Democrat, I' like to hear from you about what you do not like, or have not liked, about the Obama administration.

I'll go first -

1) Austerity. In Obama's first day in power five years ago, I thought he should have anounced austerity cuts, and big ones. He had the public support to actually go out and say "We're damn near broke" and slash a billion or so off spending. I didn't mind the Stim Pack per se, but I think spending cuts needed to go along side it.

2) Climate Change. Obama has been too passive on this. I'd like to have seen clearer statements of intent, backed by science ordinary people could understand, so that Americans could understand more of the issue.

3) Admitting Error. Maybe it's unreasonable, but with some of the scandals like 'Fast & Furious' I'd always like to see politicians admit that mistakes were made. I think people would respect it more than excuses.

4) Closing the revolving door between Goldman Sachs and the White House. Stop hiring people from lobbies, and put distance between lobbies and positions of responsibility.

5) Cut military spending. I'd like Obama to stand up to the military, and present a long term strategy of reducing spending massively, and converting the military into a force that can deal with guerillas and al Queda, and rely less on cold war thinking.

Here's my complaints about some the policies that Obama has signed onto

ACA - Not a solution to the HC problem. Sorry but it's not only not a solution, I think its making things worse than they were.

DNAA - This is the authorization for a growing police state

Regarding REFORM of the BANK and FINANCIAL SYSTEM - Frankly nothing is going be done to solve the problems of that system and given that nobody has been charged for what has been done? I doubt anything that is being done is going to help.

Those three issues are ENORMOUS ERRORS of this admin.

FWIW, I doubt that even if Obama had wanted to do what I think needs to be done in any of those three issues, he could have done it.

But still...it was his responsibility to at least TRY to solve those problems, and in all three cases he has failed miserable to even use his office as a bully pulpit to propose REAL solutions.

I know a lot of you GOP partisans think that Obama is a liberal, but those three policies put the great big fat LIE to that theory.

Last edited:
I was hoping for more bipartisanship. I know Bush threw that kind of thing out the window, but I think a two party state can only be successful if both parties are involved. That's not to say I don't approve of the job Obama's done. But the country is super divided and I would like for that to change.

Excellent point, I agree.

I tend to blame the GOP for this more than Obama, but maybe back on his first day in power Obama could have really tried to open up a dialogue with the moderate limb of the GOP and offered them a couple of policy victories in order to establish common ground.
Yeah, well, unfortuately in his early days, he was too busy opening up a dialogue, during an embarrassing "Beer Summit", with an innocent "WHITE" cop he wrongly accused of "acting stupidly" without any facts to back up his ridiculous claim.

In truth, since none of us have walked in President Obama's shoes - we just don't really know. It's easy to criticize and pass judgement from the outside. I would say overall that he's done a fairly good job in spite of the obstructionist Congress he's had to work with.

do you need a cigarette now?

I was hoping for more bipartisanship. I know Bush threw that kind of thing out the window, but I think a two party state can only be successful if both parties are involved. That's not to say I don't approve of the job Obama's done. But the country is super divided and I would like for that to change.

there has been many thing Obama has done that we liberals didn't like ... taking the public option out for one... spend 3 whole year trying to be bipartisan with the republicans... that three whole years was wasted... there are quit a few things he has done that has pissed off the progressives and the Dems and liberals not to mention the independents who voted for him .... after that being said what was the alternative .??? electing a republican ??? thats the worst thing that could have happen ... Obama learn his lesson finally .... you watch ... the republica will lose control of the house and their filibuster power...

I'll go first -

What?....No mention of Benghazi, where 4 Americans were murdered, on the anniversary of 9/11, due to the abject failures of the POTUS, his administration, SOS, and the State Department she led?

:eusa_whistle:

Sure - but something this board suffers from is a lack of "self-cricitism" (for want of a better term).

Maybe if we were all more open about the faults our representatives have or mistakes they make - it would also inspire more understanding from the other side of the aisle?
I got no problem with publically stating my criticisms of Obama. And unlike the "rights" criticism of him, I don't have to make mine up. My criticisms of this President, just like my criticisms of the last one, are based on their policies and actions in office, not on what I thought they were doing or who or what I thought they were.

My criticism of him and his Administration are as follows:
  • his "kill lists". Thinking he has the authority to kill any American, anywhere, at anytime, for any reason, is just disgusting.
  • refusing to investigate former Administration officials for war crimes.
  • continuing the neocon foreign policy agenda.
  • not fighting for the "public option" in the healthcare bill.
  • supporting "indefinate detention".
  • supporting "drone" warfare.
  • not enough liberal legislation.
  • too many compromises with the right.
  • kissing too much Israeli ass
  • expanding warrantless wire-tapping
Let's get one thing perfectly clear, Obama is NOT a liberal President. He's not a liberal. His policies are not on the left. He has no liberals in his Cabinet. He has too many former financial industry heavyweights in his treasury department.

Does anyone remember former WH press secretary Robert Gibbs going off on liberals just before a press conference? Saying we had to give Obama "more time" to enact the liberal policies he said he was going to do during his campaign. That we were too impatient with him and he couldn't get everything all done at once.

Truth is, he didn't do any of it and I personally took the "time" option off the table 18 months into his Presidency and formally stated I no longer support the policies of his Administration. That was over 3-1/2 years ago and I still don't.

The one thing to remember about Obama, more than anything else, is that he is a "POLITICAN!" Never forget that and you will always keep what he says and does in perspective.

And pay no intention to what the right says about him, because they make everything up about him anyway. Nothing they say about him is true. But that's true about anyone they talk about.

You are confused on what a liberal is. Liberals support government expansion, government control, anti gun agenda. obama is a prime example of the modern day liberal.

You are not I repeat are not going too get bipartisanship when you have nothing in common with the opposite side.
obama can find bipartisanship in countries suited for is agenda, like China Russia Cuba. Maybe he'll move their soon.

Sure - but something this board suffers from is a lack of "self-cricitism" (for want of a better term).

Maybe if we were all more open about the faults our representatives have or mistakes they make - it would also inspire more understanding from the other side of the aisle?
I got no problem with publically stating my criticisms of Obama. And unlike the "rights" criticism of him, I don't have to make mine up. My criticisms of this President, just like my criticisms of the last one, are based on their policies and actions in office, not on what I thought they were doing or who or what I thought they were.

My criticism of him and his Administration are as follows:
  • his "kill lists". Thinking he has the authority to kill any American, anywhere, at anytime, for any reason, is just disgusting.
  • refusing to investigate former Administration officials for war crimes.
  • continuing the neocon foreign policy agenda.
  • not fighting for the "public option" in the healthcare bill.
  • supporting "indefinate detention".
  • supporting "drone" warfare.
  • not enough liberal legislation.
  • too many compromises with the right.
  • kissing too much Israeli ass
  • expanding warrantless wire-tapping
Let's get one thing perfectly clear, Obama is NOT a liberal President. He's not a liberal. His policies are not on the left. He has no liberals in his Cabinet. He has too many former financial industry heavyweights in his treasury department.

Does anyone remember former WH press secretary Robert Gibbs going off on liberals just before a press conference? Saying we had to give Obama "more time" to enact the liberal policies he said he was going to do during his campaign. That we were too impatient with him and he couldn't get everything all done at once.

Truth is, he didn't do any of it and I personally took the "time" option off the table 18 months into his Presidency and formally stated I no longer support the policies of his Administration. That was over 3-1/2 years ago and I still don't.

The one thing to remember about Obama, more than anything else, is that he is a "POLITICAN!" Never forget that and you will always keep what he says and does in perspective.

And pay no intention to what the right says about him, because they make everything up about him anyway. Nothing they say about him is true. But that's true about anyone they talk about.

You are confused on what a liberal is. Liberals support government expansion, government control, anti gun agenda. obama is a prime example of the modern day liberal.

Wow, you should do some research about which administrations have grown government. Plus, Reagan supported assault weapon ban. Obama is faaaaaar from "a prime example of the modern day liberal"...

OFFICIAL TRANSLATION:

Hey look, what the hell do you want from me?....I gotta play it cool with anything I say, 'cause i've got an official request in to the White House to send me as many of his unwashed, used underwear that they possibly can, preferably the ones worn during his basketball games, and I ain't blowin' it now, DAMMIT!:evil:

END OF OFFICIAL TRANSLATION

Forum List

Back