Can The Govt FORCE You To Promote A Choice That Goes Against Your Religion? The Fight Continues...

If your religion prohibits you from adhering to public accommodation laws then you shouldn't have a business.

It's no different than a Muslim applying for a job in a bacon store and then saying he can't touch bacon because of his stupid religion
I completely disagree. The Constitution protects my religious freedom. If you are a LGBT and want some artwork done, your desire for that artwork does not supersede my religious freedom. I do not impose my religious beliefs on you, and you do not try to force me to do something that violates my religious beliefs.

"I reserve the right to NOT provide a service." This actually was once an acceptable sign / practice for businesses, but Liberals seek to impose their will on others, IMO. It isn't just about getting LGBT 'accepted' as a norm, but they are also trying to FORCE others to 'participate in/support it', even if it is against their religious beliefs that are protected UN-CONDITIONALLY under the Constitution.

There are other artists who would gladly take your business. There are other bakeries that would gladly take your business. But that's not good enough. 'THAT' one refuses to do so, so we MUST FORCE them to do so against their will. While 'I' may not want to support your lifestyle / choices due to 'my' religious beliefs 'I' respect your right to be a LGBT and to have rights, 'you' demonstrate 'you' have no respect for 'my' religious beliefs and Constitutional Rights.

'Evil' (as I define in this saying as someone who wants to impose their will on others) teaches 'tolerance' until they are in a position to oppress, silence, and eliminate any opposition to their beliefs."
- We are seeing that today more and more. This oppression of Constitutionally protected rights of religious freedom, to me, is an example of that.

I also believe you and I may disagree on this issue, and that is ok....

You have freedom of religion, not freedom of business.

That's the crux of the problem, the notion that the freedom to conduct business isn't every bit as important as the freedom to practice religion.

Congress shall make no laws respecting religion therefore ALL businesses must obey public accommodation laws

Agreed. I'm not arguing for a religious exemption. I think that would be worse. I'm arguing that these laws are fundamentally in opposition to personal freedom.

People like you manage to make personal freedom a bad thing.

If your religion prohibits you from adhering to public accommodation laws then you shouldn't have a business.

It's no different than a Muslim applying for a job in a bacon store and then saying he can't touch bacon because of his stupid religion
I completely disagree. The Constitution protects my religious freedom. If you are a LGBT and want some artwork done, your desire for that artwork does not supersede my religious freedom. I do not impose my religious beliefs on you, and you do not try to force me to do something that violates my religious beliefs.

"I reserve the right to NOT provide a service." This actually was once an acceptable sign / practice for businesses, but Liberals seek to impose their will on others, IMO. It isn't just about getting LGBT 'accepted' as a norm, but they are also trying to FORCE others to 'participate in/support it', even if it is against their religious beliefs that are protected UN-CONDITIONALLY under the Constitution.

There are other artists who would gladly take your business. There are other bakeries that would gladly take your business. But that's not good enough. 'THAT' one refuses to do so, so we MUST FORCE them to do so against their will. While 'I' may not want to support your lifestyle / choices due to 'my' religious beliefs 'I' respect your right to be a LGBT and to have rights, 'you' demonstrate 'you' have no respect for 'my' religious beliefs and Constitutional Rights.

'Evil' (as I define in this saying as someone who wants to impose their will on others) teaches 'tolerance' until they are in a position to oppress, silence, and eliminate any opposition to their beliefs."
- We are seeing that today more and more. This oppression of Constitutionally protected rights of religious freedom, to me, is an example of that.

No one is trying to shut you up, unfortunately. Your religious freedom does not extend to discriminating against others if you are in business.

That's the crux of the problem, the notion that the freedom to conduct business isn't every bit as important as the freedom to practice religion.

Congress shall make no laws respecting religion therefore ALL businesses must obey public accommodation laws

Agreed. I'm not arguing for a religious exemption. I think that would be worse. I'm arguing that these laws are fundamentally in opposition to personal freedom.

Except he misquoted the first amendment, probably intentionally because

Congress shall pass no law respecting religion

is ENTIRELY different in meaning than

Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion

I agree though religion is a poor argument to make. Even the non religious have the right to discriminate.

Like the personal freedom to not promote a behavior that conflicts with your religious beliefs?

(Note: behaviors are not legally equal to race)

People like you manage to make personal freedom a bad thing.

People "like me"? Heh... I curious, what sort of monster suit have you created for me? I guess that's easier than arguments based on morality and principle.

Gays can refuse straight members from joining gay organizations and from being President of gay clubs, which is considered double standard.

No- private organizations can restrict membership as they wish.

For instance the Catholic Church will not allow women to be priests.

You could have your own 'Bitter Straight Dudes' organization and deny membership to anyone you wanted to- even if its because you thought their wrist was a little to limp.

Dear Syriusly one problem I've found is when private universities accept federal funds.
This is why universities had to desegregate and follow Civil Rights laws, if they took federal money.

Now one case that came up is a college group in a lawsuit over whether their Christian club could restrict the officers to pledge to certain policies that were faith-based and biased toward Christians.

I guess the solution is that club cannot accept federal funding,
and if the college it is associated with is getting federal grants,
they'd have to split off and be totally private. Would this solve the problem?

And if so, will the Christian/LGBT problem with public schools
also be better resolved by splitting into private schools and not getting federal funding
unless they accommodate all such beliefs equally.

So either include them all to get funding, of if they want to restrict
LGBT more than the Christian beliefs and practices, or the
Christian more than the LGBT, they'd have to go private and forgo federal funds.

Would that solve this problem once and for all between public and private?

To separate the funding, where I recommend organizing by party
so people can collectively fund the school policies they believe in.

there is a difference between a person who agrees to be an EMPLOYEE but refuses to
do what he has been employed to do---and
a person selling his own services. The artists are not the PAID EMPLOYEES of the people who hire their services until they agree to
DO THE SERVICE. Your analogy is silly
No there is not.

If you want to open a business you MUST abide by public accommodation laws. If your religion does not allow you to abide by those laws then you should not run a business because the mere legal operation of that business violates whatever superstition you happen to live by so the very act of opening that business is a sin

Dear Skull Pilot
So if a bacon business cannot hire or serve a Muslim customer, because
they will not change to selling beef or turkey bacon instead of pork only,
then the Muslim customer can sue this business for not accommodating them?
Or the bacon seller should shut down their business
because they can't accommodate Muslims?

What (legal) products you sell are your business. Who you will or will not sell to is the government's business.
In that theory of yours I should be able to sue any attorney out there that refuses to assist me when I need legal representation even though they may not do that type of work.

No one is trying to shut you up, unfortunately. Your religious freedom does not extend to discriminating against others if you are in business.

It doesn't have to you fucking idiot. A NON religious business also has a right to discriminate.

The government is NOT empowered to make people be nice to each other. If it is please show me where.

So then a gay artist can't refuse on principle to print a billboard for a Christian that reads "Homosexuality is a sin unto God". Right? He can be fined or jailed for refusing to do that.

If Jesus tells you not to provide a service to a wedding, then you should put your religion above your business and choose another line of work

Caving in to religion on these sorts of matters would turn every individual into his own personal government. Every law he objected to he could circumvent by claiming that to obey the law was against his religion.

Religion requires sacrifice

You are required to sacrifice for your religion, You can't make the law sacrifice for your religious beliefs

WHOA rightwinger!

Why isn't this applied to LGBT beliefs?
If these are to be treated equally as Christian required to put their beliefs aside in PRIVATE
and NOT impose on the public through Govt,
then WHY isn't this applied to LGBT?

Why aren't the homosexual advocates expected to keep their beliefs in private
and quit imposing this creed on the public through govt and laws? EXACTLY!

BINGO! rightwinger!!!

It doesn't have to you fucking idiot. A NON religious business also has a right to discriminate.

The government is NOT empowered to make people be nice to each other. If it is please show me where.

Fair&Balanced it is a natural law that if we want our rights and freedoms protected,
including due process, then we should enforce the same for others.

The problem with the LGBT advocacy and beliefs is when these are
pushed too far and start violating the very laws against discrimination by creed
they seek to enforce. So this is not treating your neighbor as yourself,
but "bullying" them back in the very ways you sought to oppose and ban.

This is breaking the natural laws of reciprocity that aren't written in govt.
It is up to people to learn and follow these by free choice. All religions contain a version
of this natural law that exists outside of govt. It resides in people by conscience, by
natural laws that our Constitution is based on but cannot forced people to accept on faith.

We are supposed to live by "equal justice under law" and "equal protections of the laws"
but how we do so is a free choice and govt cannot dictate that. It doesn't work that way but must come from inside as a person's choice by free will, or it's more political coercion from the outside and not true equality.

Right now, our Constitutional laws only require GOVT and PUBLIC institutions to respect equal protection of the laws for all people. It takes a "leap of faith" to realize, what this means in essence, is that WE the PEOPLE being govt must also respect the rights and protections of our neighbors equally, regardless of creed, if we want these for ourselves. Not everyone has figured that out yet, but are still abusing party and govt to push their beliefs over others.

Like the personal freedom to not promote a behavior that conflicts with your religious beliefs?

(Note: behaviors are not legally equal to race)

Yep- a Muslim business owner can't discriminate against a Christian customer just because of his religious belief that Christian behaviors are wrong.

So then a gay artist can't refuse on principle to print a billboard for a Christian that reads "Homosexuality is a sin unto God". Right? He can be fined or jailed for refusing to do that.

If the gay artist provides art for billboards- no he cannot turn it down just because he disapproves of the religious beliefs of the customer.

He would be acting just like the baker- and violating the law the same way.

Gays can refuse straight members from joining gay organizations and from being President of gay clubs, which is considered double standard.

No- private organizations can restrict membership as they wish.

For instance the Catholic Church will not allow women to be priests.

You could have your own 'Bitter Straight Dudes' organization and deny membership to anyone you wanted to- even if its because you thought their wrist was a little to limp.
Gay dating sites refuse service to accommodate straight couples.
No they don't a straight person can put a profile on a gay dating site he or she will just not get any dates

But then again why would a straight person spend money to join a gay dating service
Why would a Muslim apply for a job at the bacon store?
Why would a Christian open a business if the public accommodation laws are considered sinful?

A straight person wouldn't spend money to join a gay dating site. A gay person likely would spend money to join a straight dating site though just so they could complain and sue over discrimination.

Same with a Muslim at a bacon store.

A Christian would open his own business for the same reason everyone else who does does, for the freedom of working for ones self.

I get it you fucking idiot, you hate Christians. Sorry you were an alter boy in your previous life and are ashamed that you enjoyed the attention the priest gave you , but that doesn't give you license to take away the rights of Christians.

I don't hate anyone

If it will be a sin to follow the laws of the land then it would be a sin to open a business
And you shouldn't sin if you want to go to heaven

I'll say it again, Obama's America really seems to be working out well when people have the time to worry about such stupid and irrelevant issues concerning another person's sexuality.

Righties, get the fuck out of everybody's bedroom and pay attention: Trump is destroying your party while you dither over lesbians ordering a wedding cake.
Don't stuff your bedroom in anyone's face and you won't have a problem.

Who is stuffing their bedroom in your face?
When you put something out for public discussion that is what you are doing. If you came and asked me to do artwork for you celebrating your personal choices and I tell you no I am not willing to paint that leave it be and go find someone willing to do what you want.

So putting "something out for public discussion" is pushing my bedroom in your face?

Let me clarify YOUR statement: I suspect when the gay couple tried to order their wedding cake they most likely went TO the bakery/caterer rather than making the baker/caterer come to their bedroom. And so straight, Christian idiots want to make that a problem.

If Jesus tells you not to provide a service to a wedding, then you should put your religion above your business and choose another line of work

Caving in to religion on these sorts of matters would turn every individual into his own personal government. Every law he objected to he could circumvent by claiming that to obey the law was against his religion.

Religion requires sacrifice

You are required to sacrifice for your religion, You can't make the law sacrifice for your religious beliefs

WHOA rightwinger!

Why isn't this applied to LGBT beliefs?
If these are to be treated equally as Christian required to put their beliefs aside in PRIVATE
and NOT impose on the public through Govt,
then WHY isn't this applied to LGBT?

Why aren't the homosexual advocates expected to keep their beliefs in private
and quit imposing this creed on the public through govt and laws? EXACTLY!

BINGO! rightwinger!!!

No one is expected or required to keep their beliefs private

A gay business owner can't refuse to sell to a Christian because the business owner doesn't approve of the Christian's Christianity.

They are treated exactly the same.

Maybe but until the Supreme court says otherwise public accommodation laws do not violate anyone's rights

Dear Skull Pilot
1. but both the LGBT and the Christian beliefs against same sex marriage
are both CREEDS.
2. Therefore govt cannot endorse or enforce one CREED over the other, much less penalize
one side because of this conflict between CREEDS that is equal.
3. The neutral solution would be to require that such conflicts either be resolved by consensus between the two parties, to respect their beliefs equally and their consent, or for both parties to agree NOT to do business together if they cannot resolve their differences. That would be fair to both.

The problem and the solution is that LGBT beliefs are a creed.
If these are truly treated EQUALLY as other creeds, then all conflicts can either be resolved or dropped.

The problem is when GOVT is abused to push LGBT creeds above others that are penalized for not agreeing.
That is not equal protection and that is what is being challenged and contested here.

You don't have to be nice to each other- but if you are a business there are laws requiring you to serve customers

Discrimination in Places of Public Accommodation - Civil Rights
The Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation. Generally, places of public accommodation are businesses or buildings that are open or offer services to the general public. These facilities can be publicly or privately owned and operated. Federal, state and local governments own and operate facilities such as courthouses, jails, hospitals, parks, and other places. They also provide services, programs, or activities including transportation systems and welfare programs. Privately-owned businesses and facilities offer certain goods or services to the public. Food, lodging, gasoline, and entertainment also come under the definition of places of public accommodation.

Section 2000a of Title 42, Chapter 21 of the U.S. Code (42 USC 21) prohibits discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation. Under this provision, all persons are entitled to full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation without any discrimination or segregation based on race, color, religion, or national origin. Many private establishments serving the public are considered places of public accommodation. Such private places include:

• inns, hotels, motels, or other organizations that provide accommodation to temporary visitors
  • restaurants, cafeterias, lunchrooms, lunch counters, soda fountains, or other facilities providing food for consumption
  • motion picture houses, theaters, concert halls, sports arenas, stadiums or other places of exhibition or entertainment

there is a difference between a person who agrees to be an EMPLOYEE but refuses to
do what he has been employed to do---and
a person selling his own services. The artists are not the PAID EMPLOYEES of the people who hire their services until they agree to
DO THE SERVICE. Your analogy is silly
No there is not.

If you want to open a business you MUST abide by public accommodation laws. If your religion does not allow you to abide by those laws then you should not run a business because the mere legal operation of that business violates whatever superstition you happen to live by so the very act of opening that business is a sin

Dear Skull Pilot
So if a bacon business cannot hire or serve a Muslim customer, because
they will not change to selling beef or turkey bacon instead of pork only,
then the Muslim customer can sue this business for not accommodating them?
Or the bacon seller should shut down their business
because they can't accommodate Muslims?

What (legal) products you sell are your business. Who you will or will not sell to is the government's business.
In that theory of yours I should be able to sue any attorney out there that refuses to assist me when I need legal representation even though they may not do that type of work.

You can sue any attorney out there- for any reason you want to. Doesn't mean you can win- but you can sue.

Forum List

Back