Can the VA prevent Veterans from possessing fire arms.. the very people that fought

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

Possession of a Firearm by the Mentally Ill

The VA letter in the OP was sent to someone in Oregon, so here is Oregon law:

No person shall possess a firearm if he or she:

Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;

Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or

Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 of a felony.

And that prohibits VA from adding the individual to the NICS prohibited persons list how?

Someone who had been diagnosed with PTSD shouldn't own a gun. This is common sense stuff and this encompasses way more than the ability to legally own a firearm. This is about their finances and making sure someone who isnt sound isn't destroying their credit and life while they get treatment.

I really don’t care about the OP as Retired already covered the basic fact and closed any real discussion on this thread. This I could not let slide though. If you believe what you just stated it is because you do not know anything about PSTD and such blanket statements should not be made. PTSD should NOT affect your ability to own a gun if it does not (and this is often the case) affect homicidal or suicidal tendencies. I know MANY people that have been affected by PSTD and it does not always translate into suicidal or homicidal thoughts or tendencies.

If you have sever enough PTSD that you are found mentally incompetent you shouldn't be allowed to buy a firearm. Period.

No individual doctor should have the power to make that determination, whether their employed by the government or not.

yes, and the next paragraph is to get them ready for the coming communist rationing, right? :cuckoo:
Take guns away from everyone who know is willing and able to use them to defend their freedom.

You are a first class moron. Seriously.

I'm a retired vet and no one is trying to disarm us. Idiot.
I'm sure nobody's worried about your willingness to defend freedom, so in your case you may be right.

for our rights under the Constitution in the 2nd Amendment???

This must be Barack Obama’s way of thanking our veterans for serving.
US veterans are receiving letters from the government informing them that they are disabled and not allowed to own, purchase or possess a firearm. If the veteran does decide to purchase a firearm he will by fined, imprisoned or both.

View attachment 24588

SHOCK REPORT ? Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms | The Gateway Pundit
if this is true they are kicking one big damn hornets nest !!:eek:

Every couple of years there is a push to prevent the VA from adding the names of the mentally unsound vets to the no buy list. Luckily ,so far it has failed every time.

How about we give a doctor the ability to determine if a woman would be a fit mother, and if he doesn't think she would be, require her to be sterilized. Do you think that would be a good thing? That's the road you seem to be willing to go down.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

And has nothing to do with the issue being addressed.

Every couple of years there is a push to prevent the VA from adding the names of the mentally unsound vets to the no buy list. Luckily ,so far it has failed every time.

How about we give a doctor the ability to determine if a woman would be a fit mother, and if he doesn't think she would be, require her to be sterilized. Do you think that would be a good thing? That's the road you seem to be willing to go down.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

And has nothing to do with the issue being addressed.

Actually it does, if you set a precedent for doctors and administrators making decisions on who deserves rights, what's next? You don't mind them doing it for guns why should you mind for other things, I just put out a future possibility. Ya know it's kind of like eating potato chips for the government, they won't stop with just one.

for our rights under the Constitution in the 2nd Amendment???

This must be Barack Obama’s way of thanking our veterans for serving.
US veterans are receiving letters from the government informing them that they are disabled and not allowed to own, purchase or possess a firearm. If the veteran does decide to purchase a firearm he will by fined, imprisoned or both.

View attachment 24588

SHOCK REPORT ? Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms | The Gateway Pundit

If I had cracked up as a result of being shot at too many times, I would be happy that the government was preventing me from hurting anyone else.

Or do you think that a guy with severe PTSD ought to have himself a real arsenal?

Saw my primary care physician at the VA recently.

She asked me if I was feeling suicidal or homicidal.

It obviously embarrassed her to ask, but she told me that now she is required to ask that of every patient she sees.

Oh, BTW?

It is illegal to bring guns to the VA.

Even if you have a right to carry issued by the state.

It obviously embarrassed her to ask, but she told me that now she is required to ask that of every patient she sees.

Oh, BTW?

The military suicide rate has skyrocketed in the last few years. The military has been attempting to combat this in various ways. On my husbands base they have a special hotline, extended time off to those returning from deployment, mandatory meetings on suicide prevention, and his CO makes every returning solider meet with a counselor.

Btw, incase you missed it, the law that the OP is referring to was passed in 94', so anything "new" your doctor is asking, has nothing to do with this.

Oh, BTW?

They're required to ask everyone on active duty the same questions.

Forum List

Back