Carter Page FISA Warrant Perfectly Legal

One of the most popular arguments on the right to excuse President Donald Trump from wrongdoing ahead of any findings from the Russia investigation is to claim that the investigation itself is corrupt — and these arguments typically center on the idea, with no evidence whatsoever, that the FBI lied to the judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court when pursuing a warrant to probe Trump’s presidential campaign.

Trump himself has made this claim on Twitter, saying that “the Trump Campaign for President was illegally being spied upon” for “the political gain of Crooked Hillary Clinton and the DNC,” and that “the DOJ, FBI and Obama Gang need to be held to account” because they “Misled the Court to provide a pretext to SPY on the Trump Team.” And he even recklessly moved to declassify sensitive documents surrounding the surveillance of former Trump campaign aide Carter Page, in the attempt to try to prove this misconduct.

But Trump is wrong. And in fact, he is so stunningly wrong that his own lawyers with the Department of Justice had to take the extraordinary step of saying, in a filing to the D.C. District Court for a Freedom of Information Act case, that Trump essentially has no idea what he’s talking about on FISA classification, and that what he says on Twitter cannot be presumed to be evidence of anything:

The idea that the FBI misled FISA judges to get a warrant against the Trump campaign has been debunked by the release of the FISA applications, revealing that there was a perfectly solid legal basis to investigate Carter Page amid his suspicious travel to Russia.

But this narrative persists among Trump’s political allies, and in the right-wing echo chamber. Outgoing House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) released a flimsy, partisan memo that claimed to prove FISA wrongdoing. Meanwhile, right-wing commentators like Sean Hannity have enthusiastically called for heads to roll at the FBI over the supposed lies in FISA court.

Thus, it would seem the short form of the DOJ’s argument in this filing is: Mr. President, lay off the Fox News.

More: The US Justice Department just filed court documents arguing that Trump has no idea what he's talking about

Well, that settles that. I agree that Trump (and his base) should lay off the Fox News.
hey dufuss the FISA just issued a very public rebuke of the fbi
care to comment/???

Did they said it was "illegal"?
That's like saying if a cop catches me stealing and sez I stole a dime when I really stole a nickel the cops wrong.

One of the most popular arguments on the right to excuse President Donald Trump from wrongdoing ahead of any findings from the Russia investigation is to claim that the investigation itself is corrupt — and these arguments typically center on the idea, with no evidence whatsoever, that the FBI lied to the judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court when pursuing a warrant to probe Trump’s presidential campaign.

Trump himself has made this claim on Twitter, saying that “the Trump Campaign for President was illegally being spied upon” for “the political gain of Crooked Hillary Clinton and the DNC,” and that “the DOJ, FBI and Obama Gang need to be held to account” because they “Misled the Court to provide a pretext to SPY on the Trump Team.” And he even recklessly moved to declassify sensitive documents surrounding the surveillance of former Trump campaign aide Carter Page, in the attempt to try to prove this misconduct.

But Trump is wrong. And in fact, he is so stunningly wrong that his own lawyers with the Department of Justice had to take the extraordinary step of saying, in a filing to the D.C. District Court for a Freedom of Information Act case, that Trump essentially has no idea what he’s talking about on FISA classification, and that what he says on Twitter cannot be presumed to be evidence of anything:

The idea that the FBI misled FISA judges to get a warrant against the Trump campaign has been debunked by the release of the FISA applications, revealing that there was a perfectly solid legal basis to investigate Carter Page amid his suspicious travel to Russia.

But this narrative persists among Trump’s political allies, and in the right-wing echo chamber. Outgoing House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) released a flimsy, partisan memo that claimed to prove FISA wrongdoing. Meanwhile, right-wing commentators like Sean Hannity have enthusiastically called for heads to roll at the FBI over the supposed lies in FISA court.

Thus, it would seem the short form of the DOJ’s argument in this filing is: Mr. President, lay off the Fox News.

More: The US Justice Department just filed court documents arguing that Trump has no idea what he's talking about

Well, that settles that. I agree that Trump (and his base) should lay off the Fox News.
care to comment/???

That's like saying if a cop catches me stealing and sez I stole a dime when I really stole a nickel the cops wrong.

Just quote where the IG said the Carter Page FISA warrants were "illegal".

And we would care what you agree to why ?

Well, I hope you updated your position Lacooter, lol. Spin all you want, your side is screwed-) I wish I knew where you lived, because when the media comes down on our side when they have no choice to keep any sort of credibility, I would LOVE to bang on your door; same when Trump gets re-elected thanks to your sides incompetence!

I would say you are joke, but that is just to easy, lol! Watching you either disappear, or be laughed off this board, will be so much better of a fate for people like you, and JOSE 221, or whatever his phony handle is!

Well, I hope you updated your position Lacooter, lol. Spin all you want, your side is screwed-) I wish I knew where you lived, because when the media comes down on our side when they have no choice to keep any sort of credibility, I would LOVE to bang on your door; same when Trump gets re-elected thanks to your sides incompetence!

I would say you are joke, but that is just to easy, lol! Watching you either disappear, or be laughed off this board, will be so much better of a fate for people like you, and JOSE 221, or whatever his phony handle is!

You thought that was funny? So do we, and the jokes on YOU!

You thought that was funny? So do we, and the jokes on YOU!

So you joined us! We are all laughing at you, and you are laughing at your self! A little self deprication is good for the soul, don't you think. Guess you do-)

care to comment/???

17 instances of lies or failures to provide exculpatory evidence.

In other words, time for you to lay off the firewater....chief.

care to comment/???

care to comment/???

When they were lied to. It's illegal to lie to get a fisa warrant.

From the fisa judge.

“The frequency with which representations made by FBI personnel turned out to be unsupported or contradicted by information in their possession, and with which they withheld information detrimental to their case, calls into question whether information contained in other FBI applications is reliable,” she added.

BULLSHIT! The FISA Court just burnt down your lies and false narratives with a stinging rebuke of Comey, Rosenstein, the FBI, & anyone who had a role in the massive, intentional, repeated FISA Court abuses 3 years ago that broke numerous laws, violated the Constitution, threatened our republic, and still endangers our national security as the very existence and operation of the FISA Court is now in jeopardy!

care to comment/???

Yep.

care to comment/???

The IG said there was serious misconduct, he made one criminal referral and said he would leave it to the DOJ for further determination. You didn't watch his testimony, did ya?

care to comment/???

The IG said there was serious misconduct, he made one criminal referral and said he would leave it to the DOJ for further determination. You didn't watch his testimony, did ya?

She thinks that even if your lied to, that if the fisa court granted spying then its legal; even though it was based on a lie.
Falls back on the old saying, how do you prove a lie wrong.

care to comment/???

Even though mistakes were made - where did the IG say the FISA warrants were "illegal".

I wonder if shitting bull has enough sense to be embarrassed by this post now?

Forum List

Back