Catastrophic Gap In Weather Satellite Data

Both I and Thunder know what you're referring to and it does not change the answer. The people at NASA "understand the metric system". The people who fucked up didn't work for NASA. The people who fucked up worked for Lockheed Martin who were under contract to provide SI data but failed to do so. You know, Lockheed Martin, the FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION.

Cause of failure
On November 10, 1999, the Mars Climate Orbiter Mishap Investigation Board released a Phase I report, detailing the suspected issues encountered with the loss of the spacecraft. Previously, on September 8, 1999, Trajectory Correction Maneuver-4 was computed and then executed on September 15, 1999. It was intended to place the spacecraft at an optimal position for an orbital insertion maneuver that would bring the spacecraft around Mars at an altitude of 226 kilometers on September 23, 1999. However, during the week between TCM-4 and the orbital insertion maneuver, the navigation team indicated the altitude may be much lower than intended at 150 to 170 kilometers. Twenty-four hours prior to orbital insertion, calculations placed the orbiter at an altitude of 110 kilometers; 80 kilometers is the minimum altitude that Mars Climate Orbiter was thought to be capable of surviving during this maneuver. Post-failure calculations showed that the spacecraft was on a trajectory that would have taken the orbiter within 57 kilometers of the surface, where the spacecraft likely disintegrated because of atmospheric stresses.

The primary cause of this discrepancy was that one piece of ground software supplied by Lockheed Martin produced results in a United States customary unit, contrary to its Software Interface Specification (SIS), while a second system, supplied by NASA, expected those results to be in metric units, in accordance with the SIS. Specifically, software that calculated the total impulse produced by thruster firings calculated results in pound-seconds. The trajectory calculation software then used these results -- expected to be in newton-seconds -- to update the predicted position of the spacecraft.[16]

The discrepancy between calculated and measured position, resulting in the discrepancy between desired and actual orbit insertion altitude, had been noticed earlier by at least two navigators, whose concerns were dismissed. A meeting of trajectory software engineers, trajectory software operators (navigators), propulsion engineers, and managers, was convened to consider the possibility of executing Trajectory Correction Maneuver-5, which was in the schedule. Attendees of the meeting recall an agreement to conduct TCM-5, but it was ultimately not done.

16) "Mars Climate Orbiter Mishap Investigation Board Phase I Report" (PDF) (Press release). NASA. November 10, 1999. Retrieved February 22, 2013.

Mars Climate Orbiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You actually hope to imply that you are smarter or less prone to making errors than the scientists in the US space program. The idea is insanely laughable. Why don't you go to that Wikipedia link, read its layman's description about the Mars Climate Orbiter and then explain to us what it was to do and how it was to do it. Explain to us what its sensors measured and how they did so, tell us how its computers worked, how it powered itself, how it navigated and maneuvered and how it transmitted its data to Earth. And I'd like to hear that all done at the level of someone who could actually design and build the hardware and software required, you ignorant ass.
Holy shit, he was just making a joke!!! You and Thunder take this global warming bullshit waaaaay too seriously It's like a friggin' religious cause and anyone that you can't convert becomes your mortal enemy. I KNOW the the groups of elites that are pushing this crap and as to why they are doing it. You are carrying water for a bunch of low-lives that created this mess. This is extortion and on a global level. "Give into our demands, give up your sovereignty and we will stop spraying you like bugs". This shit they are spraying is landing on our farms, the cows eat the grass this crap lands on and it ends up in our water supply. There is as much as 30 percent less sunlight reaching the earth now in some places and I'll be damn if they are not blaming THAT on climate change.....it's incredible....is there anything it can't do? We had a bunch of hurricanes in 2004, massive ones...libs screamed "GLOBAL WARMING" and now we have gone 11 years and only one hurricane of note and THAT proves climate change (because they had to change it from "warming"). If you want to consider yourself an expert or a proponent of changing our way of life for something that I believe is being caused by a group of greedy globalists? Do some homework on what geo-engineering is because you will never get the truth if you simply attack it from one angle.

And the insane little 'crackpot conspiracy theory' wacko spews more crazy crap about 'chemtrails' and more anti-science denier cult myths and lies. About as meaningful as a fart in a hurricane.

Both I and Thunder know what you're referring to and it does not change the answer. The people at NASA "understand the metric system". The people who fucked up didn't work for NASA. The people who fucked up worked for Lockheed Martin who were under contract to provide SI data but failed to do so. You know, Lockheed Martin, the FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION.

Cause of failure
On November 10, 1999, the Mars Climate Orbiter Mishap Investigation Board released a Phase I report, detailing the suspected issues encountered with the loss of the spacecraft. Previously, on September 8, 1999, Trajectory Correction Maneuver-4 was computed and then executed on September 15, 1999. It was intended to place the spacecraft at an optimal position for an orbital insertion maneuver that would bring the spacecraft around Mars at an altitude of 226 kilometers on September 23, 1999. However, during the week between TCM-4 and the orbital insertion maneuver, the navigation team indicated the altitude may be much lower than intended at 150 to 170 kilometers. Twenty-four hours prior to orbital insertion, calculations placed the orbiter at an altitude of 110 kilometers; 80 kilometers is the minimum altitude that Mars Climate Orbiter was thought to be capable of surviving during this maneuver. Post-failure calculations showed that the spacecraft was on a trajectory that would have taken the orbiter within 57 kilometers of the surface, where the spacecraft likely disintegrated because of atmospheric stresses.

The primary cause of this discrepancy was that one piece of ground software supplied by Lockheed Martin produced results in a United States customary unit, contrary to its Software Interface Specification (SIS), while a second system, supplied by NASA, expected those results to be in metric units, in accordance with the SIS. Specifically, software that calculated the total impulse produced by thruster firings calculated results in pound-seconds. The trajectory calculation software then used these results -- expected to be in newton-seconds -- to update the predicted position of the spacecraft.[16]

The discrepancy between calculated and measured position, resulting in the discrepancy between desired and actual orbit insertion altitude, had been noticed earlier by at least two navigators, whose concerns were dismissed. A meeting of trajectory software engineers, trajectory software operators (navigators), propulsion engineers, and managers, was convened to consider the possibility of executing Trajectory Correction Maneuver-5, which was in the schedule. Attendees of the meeting recall an agreement to conduct TCM-5, but it was ultimately not done.

16) "Mars Climate Orbiter Mishap Investigation Board Phase I Report" (PDF) (Press release). NASA. November 10, 1999. Retrieved February 22, 2013.

You actually hope to imply that you are smarter or less prone to making errors than the scientists in the US space program. The idea is insanely laughable. Why don't you go to that Wikipedia link, read its layman's description about the Mars Climate Orbiter and then explain to us what it was to do and how it was to do it. Explain to us what its sensors measured and how they did so, tell us how its computers worked, how it powered itself, how it navigated and maneuvered and how it transmitted its data to Earth. And I'd like to hear that all done at the level of someone who could actually design and build the hardware and software required, you ignorant ass.
Holy shit, he was just making a joke!!! You and Thunder take this global warming bullshit waaaaay too seriously It's like a friggin' religious cause and anyone that you can't convert becomes your mortal enemy. I KNOW the the groups of elites that are pushing this crap and as to why they are doing it. You are carrying water for a bunch of low-lives that created this mess. This is extortion and on a global level. "Give into our demands, give up your sovereignty and we will stop spraying you like bugs". This shit they are spraying is landing on our farms, the cows eat the grass this crap lands on and it ends up in our water supply. There is as much as 30 percent less sunlight reaching the earth now in some places and I'll be damn if they are not blaming THAT on climate change.....it's incredible....is there anything it can't do? We had a bunch of hurricanes in 2004, massive ones...libs screamed "GLOBAL WARMING" and now we have gone 11 years and only one hurricane of note and THAT proves climate change (because they had to change it from "warming"). If you want to consider yourself an expert or a proponent of changing our way of life for something that I believe is being caused by a group of greedy globalists? Do some homework on what geo-engineering is because you will never get the truth if you simply attack it from one angle.

And the insane little 'crackpot conspiracy theory' wacko spews more crazy crap about 'chemtrails' and more anti-science denier cult myths and lies. About as meaningful as a fart in a hurricane.
Water and soil samples do not lie....deal with it. Do you get paid to spew this shit? I did a history search of your postings and you only post about your climate change religion.....get a life, dude.....no one is going to change their minds about this that could sway opinion either way. You are pissing in the wind and thinking that it is raining.

Cause of failure

Water and soil samples do not lie....
No...you lie....or you are such an idiotic conspiracy theory nutball that you actually believe that moronic hokum.

Forum List

Back