Catholic celibacy open for debate

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Debate on celibacy for Catholic priests is old but welcome, experts say - U.S. News

The Vatican’s second-in-command set off speculation this week about the future of priestly celibacy in the Catholic Church when he said the institution is open to discussion – but it hasn’t always been the case that priests were not allowed to marry, experts said, and the discussion is hardly new.

Nevertheless, the remarks by Archbishop Pietro Parolin, the Holy See's secretary of state, that “efforts that the church made to keep ecclesiastical celibacy ... have to be taken into consideration” will likely cause many of the religion’s faithful to sit up in the pews.

A candid discussion about the requirement that priests remain chaste would be welcome in the United States, where about 30,000 former priests have left because they wanted to pursue a relationship, said Thomas Groome, a professor of theology at Boston College.

“I think it would be an enormously welcome conversation,” Groome said. “I think Catholics, certainly American Catholics, but Catholics of the world, have been waiting for this conversation.”

Could open up the way for a new Catholic Church. Women Priests next?

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This Pope has really surprised me.

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

Pope Francis understands what it is all about. He is moving away from the Corporate Catholic Church wrapped in trappings, tradition and dogma to a new church whose primary concern is the people

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

+1 He's interesting.

The whole celibacy thing has always weird-ed me out about the Catholics. To many pervs using celibacy as cover for their pedo love. Nutz. IMO they would be better off allowing normal men and women who, shock, marry each other instead of the church, be priests.

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

+1 He's interesting.

The whole celibacy thing has always weird-ed me out about the Catholics. To many pervs using celibacy as cover for their pedo love. Nutz. IMO they would be better off allowing normal men and women who, shock, marry each other instead of the church, be priests.

Its original purpose was to basically limit the offspring of politically and economically important families. In medival Europe and after the eldest son inhereted, leaving the others to either conquer for thier wealth, or join the Church. preventing them from having legitatmate offspring cut down the family size and allowed the wealth to remain whole through the generations.

It also gave wealthy younger sons positions of imporatance, education and relative comfort.

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

+1 He's interesting.

It's like what former Secretary of the Interior James Watt once said..

"You no playa the game, you no maka da rules"

A Priest is supposed to offer guidance to members of his parish. How do you give guidance on marital issues, raising children or relationships when you have never done it?

Last edited:

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

+1 He's interesting.

At one time, priests were allowed to be married. The church changed things so that when the priests died, they would leave everything to the church. It is all about money.

what is it with you progressives and always wanting to tare down any Christian church? Do you fear God this much? He loves you no matter what.

Last edited:

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

+1 He's interesting.

A Priest is supposed to offer guidance to membrs of his parish. How do you give guidance on marital issues, raising children or relationships when you have never done it?

Exactly!!! I married a Catholic woman and we had to take a course from a priest on relationships. When I was a musician, in the pre-aids period, I had sex with A LOT of women. And here this priest was talking to me about sexual relations.

And in a good way.

I really like the guy.

+1 He's interesting.

A Priest is supposed to offer guidance to membrs of his parish. How do you give guidance on marital issues, raising children or relationships when you have never done it?

if we go by that logic how can politicans who have never worked in real industry be allowed to make rules regarding that industry? How can civilians be allowed to make decsions for the military? (which is how our consitution sets it up)

Your logic is flawed.

+1 He's interesting.

Exactly!!! I married a Catholic woman and we had to take a course from a priest on relationships. When I was a musician, in the pre-aids period, I had sex with A LOT of women. And here this priest was talking to me about sexual relations.

In some cases being an outside observer is an advantage.

Do they watch a lot of people having sex?

What the hell is the matter with you? Sex isnt the only thing in a relationship.

Considering you think relationships are all about sex, and somehow having sex with alot of women = knowledge on sex with just one woman after that, then maybe he might have some pointers for you.

+1 He's interesting.

if we go by that logic how can politicans who have never worked in real industry be allowed to make rules regarding that industry? How can civilians be allowed to make decsions for the military? (which is how our consitution sets it up)

Your logic is flawed.

Politicians have expert advisors who are subject matter experts in economics, science. business, miltary.....

Priests do not call in experts in marital relations when they give advice...and it shows

Your logic is flawed.

Politicians have expert advisors who are subject matter experts in economics, science. business, miltary.....

Priests do not call in experts in marital relations when they give advice...and it shows

Nice hedge. So priests have no access to materials explaining the various nuances of a relationship?

And some of those "expert" advisors are poltical hacks, with an agenda a mile long. poor reference.

So....using this logic, no PhD psychologist is competent to counsel people about drug additiction unless they have personally been addicted?

I don't think priests are giving instructions on sexual positions, do you? Their area of expertise is Church doctrine, living a Christian life, and how to navigate our fucked up culture without losing your soul.

And marriage isn't such a great qualification either. I don't know anything about anybody's marriage but my own, and even after 40+ years of it, I rarely give advice based on my own experience, because it is totally unique. As is every other marriage.

Forum List

Back