Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

In the state of Massachusetts gay couples marry and would not be unwed parents. Frankly, I don't understand why healthy self-esteem non-catholic lesbian parents want their kid to go to a catholic school?

do you think the church is trying to recognize gay marriages? c'mon.

catholic schools are the most available, best bang-for-buck proven private education system in america. nothing comes even remotely close. perhaps that's why.

The church will never recognize gay marriage, ordain female priests, offer celibacy as a option for priests or deal openly and honestly with pedophiles.

My point is this. Why send your child off somewhere to be taught that his family will never be accepted by god or the school?

It doesn't make sense. There are other private schools. The parents are misguided. If I were a lesbian parent I'd keep my kid away from that kind of hatred and send him somewhere he could be supported in my spiritual values of tolerance and love.

Last edited:
In the state of Massachusetts gay couples marry and would not be unwed parents. Frankly, I don't understand why healthy self-esteem non-catholic lesbian parents want their kid to go to a catholic school?

NO, and the Church isn't going to ever. The Church has taken a speific position on homosexuality and gay marriage. That position isn't going to change.

antagon said:
catholic schools are the most available, best bang-for-buck proven private education system in america. nothing comes even remotely close. perhaps that's why.

This is true, but he mission of a Catholic school is (basically) to produce new generations of Catholics--who adhere to Church Doctrine and the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church.

That would not include children being raised by parents who are of the same gender and "married". Their marriage (just like a civil heterosexual marriage) is NOT recognized by the Church as valid. Homosexual "Marriage" is in direct oppostion to the RCC teachings. Period.

Marriage in the Roman Catholic Church is a SACRAMENT (as in SACRED, root word ;) ), just the same as Baptism, Confession (ie, aka Reconciliation), Confirmation, and Extreme Unction/Last Rites.

In order to be recognized by the RCC, a marriage must be conducted and blessed by a PRIEST in a Matrimonial MASS extending the SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE to the couple.

A RCC Priest is officially barred from "blessing" or "marrying" two people of the same sex. And...if a heterosexual couple get married at the courthouse, but don't have their marriage blessed by a Priest, the RCC also does not recognize their vows/marriage as being valid. Basically they are treated the same as a homosexual "married' couple. As in, they are NOT married in the view of the Church.

The End.

thanks for the catechism. i've learned so much i didnt already know.

the mission of catholic schools is basically to educate. i went to school with muslims and jewish kids. so paradoxical if conversion were the basic premise. as a brand, the results which students obtain is crucial. discipline and catholic and christian values, no matter the faith of the student and their family, are employed to achieve high attainment for their pupils. of course, we'd attend mass and have religious education alongside everything else, but conversion and doctrinal education was not the primary focus of the academic and athletic programs at any school i'd attended, merely an integral part.

i'd go one further and propose that is the nature of catholic culture. rather than zealous fundamentalism, there's a more pragmatic integration of doctrine and scripture.

i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

IMO, it sounds like the parents are looking to become martyrs for a cause that they really have no right to crusade on. Not only that, but they are involving an 8 year old who has no business being in the middle of it. Pretty despicable IMO.

That's *exactly* what they're doing, and they're using their child as a weapon/tool to do it. VERY dispicable.

RadiomanATL said:
Why don't they try to send the kid to the Westboro Baptist school while they are at it, and get their names in the paper when they don't accept him there either?

Yep. But they won't. They want to take on the RCC and force the RCC to change after 2000 years. Pretty ambitious (and dispicable too) ;)

The parents ought to be concerned with how their child will be treated. The catholic church is better off rejecting this student rather than oppressing him.

The church will never recognize gay marriage, ordain female priests, offer celibacy as a option for priests or deal openly and honestly with pedophiles.

My point is this. Why send your child off somewhere to be taught that his family will never be accepted by god or the school?

It doesn't make sense. There are other private schools. The parents are misguided. If I were a lesbian parent I'd keep my kid away from that kind of hatred and send him somewhere he could be supported in values of tolerance and love.

i'd agree that the parents are misguided. they could have been catholic themselves. they could have been naive, or they could have been motivated by the gains of stirring up controversy, even at their kid's expense.

then again, there's got to be an extent that such a couple is dismissive of cultural values and have decided for their child that they have to take the same position, no matter the cost.

Unwed parents who don't live together and aren't married to one another (or anyone else) most certainly ARE SINGLE PARENTS.

As is the case with my relative(s).

Doh! :eusa_doh:

:redface: what do i know?

that's a mess.

supply, demand and morality in flux, huh?

Congratulations! You're as shitty and judgemental as the ass who denied my nephew admission to the same school his parents attended as children.

What a fucking moron you are!

perhaps your judgment is hasty.

i'm referring to the propensity of catholic schools to enroll kids of all faiths and backgrounds when they have seats sitting empty or a fiscal issue, then take up moral righteousness when they're satisfied with their enrollment, and they can afford to be discerning.

did your nephew call the principal a fucking moron? if that shit runs in the family, maybe there's more to consider, indeed.

Oh please. Did anyone here have any religous instruction other than doctrine?
Hebrew law at the time of Jesus required a man to marry his brother's widow.
Marriage has mostly been a family decision dealing with the division of property,property rights and the protection of bloodlines. Families arranged marriages and love was not part of it.

More on how love has nothing to do with judaism.

Love from The Song of Songs - Solomon
A groom’s love for his bride expressing their romantic love in a love song is what makes this book written by Solomon so special. The couple’s love for each other as seen by Solomon is however under the canopy of marriage, as required by God.
Here are the words they use to talk to one another in this lovely love song:

"Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth; for your love is better than wine." Song of Songs 1:2

"Take me away with you. Let us hurry. The king has brought me into his chambers. We will be glad and rejoice in you. We will praise your love more than wine! They are right to love you." Song of Songs 1:4

"Tell me, you whom my soul loves, where you graze your flock, where you rest them at noon; For why should I be as one who is veiled beside the flocks of your companions?" Song of Songs 1:7

"Behold, you are beautiful, my love. Behold, you are beautiful. Your eyes are doves." Song of Songs 1:15

"Behold, you are beautiful, my beloved, yes, pleasant; and our couch is verdant. "Song of Songs 1:16

"As a lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters." Song of Songs 2:2

"He brought me to the banquet hall. His banner over me is love." Song of Songs 2:4

"Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apples; For I am faint with love. "Song of Songs 2:5

"My beloved spoke, and said to me, "Rise up, my love, my beautiful one, and come away. "Song of Songs 2:10

"The fig tree ripens her green figs. The vines are in blossom. They give forth their fragrance. Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away." Song of Songs 2:13

"Behold, you are beautiful, my love. Behold, you are beautiful. Your eyes are doves behind your veil. Your hair is as a flock of goats, that descend from Mount Gilead. "Song of Songs 4:1

"You are all beautiful, my love. There is no spot in you. "Song of Songs 4:7

"How beautiful is your love, my sister, my bride! How much better is your love than wine! The fragrance of your perfumes than all manner of spices!" Song of Songs 4:10

"I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride. I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk. Eat, friends! Drink, yes, drink abundantly, beloved." Song of Songs 5:1

"I was asleep, but my heart was awake. It is the voice of my beloved who knocks: "Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled; for my head is filled with dew, and my hair with the dampness of the night." Song of Songs 5:2

"Let's go early up to the vineyards. Let's see whether the vine has budded, its blossom is open, and the pomegranates are in flower. There I will give you my love. "Song of Songs 7:12

"Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm; for love is strong as death. Jealousy is as cruel as Sheol. Its flashes are flashes of fire, a very flame of Yahweh. Many waters can't quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man would give all the wealth of his house for love, he would be utterly scorned." Song of Songs 8:6,7

Among all the beauty in this love song, there is one central idea repeated four times: "I adjure you, daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, or by the hinds of the field, that you not stir up, nor awaken love, until it so desires. "Song of Songs 2:7; 3:5 ; 5:8; 8:4

I see two sides to this:

1) its a private school they can do whatever the fuck they want
2) they are hyprocites. why only pick on lesbian couples, follow hte bible fully and dont allow any kids born out of wedlock, whose parents got divorced, as well

I see two sides to this:

2) they are hyprocites. why only pick on lesbian couples, follow hte bible fully and dont allow any kids born out of wedlock, whose parents got divorced, as well

I always love people who think "hypocrite" means "people who don't practice their faith exactly the way I would practice it, IF I ever practiced it, because I don't, but I know so much better than they do how it should be".

Buy a dictionary, mouthbreather.

I see two sides to this:

I always love people who think "hypocrite" means "people who don't practice their faith exactly the way I would practice it, IF I ever practiced it, because I don't, but I know so much better than they do how it should be".

It amazes me that people think people can't possibly understand a faith they don't practice.

I see two sides to this:

so you going to refute the hyprocrisy of enforcing some rules and not the others while preaching both? or will you stick your fallacies?

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

I am planning on sending my son to catholic school for preschool and kindergarten, and he goes to a christian day care now. I am neither catholic or christian.
The catholic school that I will be sending him to, has a very good teacher who deals well with children with disablities.
And just because you are lesbian, doesn't mean you can't be catholic.

I see two sides to this:

so you going to refute the hyprocrisy of enforcing some rules and not the others while preaching both? or will you stick your fallacies?

Notice how Cessy doesn't actually explain how this isn't hypocritical, just insults.

Last edited:
I see two sides to this:

Why would you call someone a mouthbreather?
Do you know for sure he has a deviated septum?

And the catholic church is being hypocritical, especially since Boston is one of the cities that had a real problem with priests molesting children. They have a priest who molesting children, so they cover it up and let them stay in the church. But god forbid they allow a child to attend their a school, especially since the child is not the one who is gay.

I see two sides to this:

how do you know what they preach?

And regardless, as long as they consistently enforce or not enforce any particular rule, it's not hypocritical. That's how hypocrisy works.

Notice how Cessy doesn't actually explain how this isn't hypocritical, just insults.

It's not hypocritical because they don't pick and choose which children of homosexuals they allow to attend. They don't allow any.

It's not hypocritical because they don't pick and choose which children of homosexuals they allow to attend. They don't allow any.

I would point out that the child of lesbians has committed no sin.

I see two sides to this:

And the catholic church is being hypocritical, especially since Boston is one of the cities that had a real problem with priests molesting children. They have a priest who molesting children, so they cover it up and let them stay in the church. But god forbid they allow a child to attend their a school, especially since the child is not the one who is gay.

What about the other parents who pay for the expectation that their children won't be learning about homosexuality in grade school?

Should the school not care about them?

What about the other parents who pay for the expectation that their children won't be learning about homosexuality in grade school?

Should the school not care about them?

The school is private and has a right to accept whoever they wish to. Why a self-respecting lesbian couple would set up their child to be rejected like this is beyond me.

I would point out that the child of lesbians has committed no sin.

And I would point out that the Church is not excluding him because he has 'sinned'. Some priests choose not to admit the child of homosexual parents IN THE BEST INTERESTS of the child. Because the Church teaches that homosexuality is a sin.... If I were a homosexual parent, I would not choose to send my child to a school where he is likely to learn that being homosexual is a sin.

Personally, I am at a loss as to why any gay parent would want to expose their child to that.

I've seen many discussions here about the inclusion of homosexuality in public school curriculum. And pretty much every single neoliberal that has participated always says the same thing, if you don't like it send your kid to private (Catholic) school. Now these same neolibs are bitching about their own proposed solutions in action.

Now THATS hypocritical. :thup:

Forum List

Back