Cattle Shortage Causing Spike in Beef Prices

Jughead

VIP Member
Oct 24, 2013
Hamburger Central
If you’re planning to have beef for dinner… you may have to pay more.

A shortage of cattle nationwide is forcing businesses in our area to hike their beef prices.

Some people say those prices are the highest in decades.

According to a Weis Markets spokesperson, three years ago meat packers processed an average of 620,000 cattle a week and today that number is in the low 500,000′s.
The cattle herd is at a 61 year low, nationwide. I hope the drought conditions improve so we can reverse this trend and get the cattle numbers back up again. Our population is increasing, and if the cattle numbers keep going down, beef prices will skyrocket, especially if demand far exceeds supply. That means less hamburgers.:(

Cattle Shortage Causing Spike in Beef Prices | WNEP.com

Beef prices are going to drop for a bit as the ranchers sell off their heard.... and then it is going spike! The prices now are nothing to that they will be in a few months.

There is no shortage of beef. There is a shortage of feed and since a percentage of corn is mandated for stupid useless federal programs like ethanol the price of corn goes up. When you factor in the cost of energy kept artificially high by the government everything including beef prices goes up.

That was my fault sorry. Just went shopping and got 4 bags of beef jerky (~12 to 1 ratio of beef needed to become jerky.) :)

There is no shortage of beef. There is a shortage of feed and since a percentage of corn is mandated for stupid useless federal programs like ethanol the price of corn goes up. When you factor in the cost of energy kept artificially high by the government everything including beef prices goes up.
Hopefully drought conditions will improve so cattle numbers don't continue to drop.

We'd all be better off without cattle being raised for beef. All the world's livestock contribute more pollution to the enviroment than all the world's cars. And we're wasting a tremendous amount of food people could be using for their own on our livestock. Figures cite roughly 10:1 ratios of feed/vegetables to raise 1 pound of beef. And given red meat isn't even good for you, it's a stupid and self-destructive waste. I';ve gone vegan before, and if faced with the same level of taxation on beef as is on ciggies, I'd give it up.

A shortage of cattle nationwide is forcing businesses in our area to hike their beef prices.

According to a Weis Markets spokesperson, three years ago meat packers processed an average of 620,000 cattle a week and today that number is in the low 500,000′s.
The cattle herd is at a 61 year low, nationwide. I hope the drought conditions improve so we can reverse this trend and get the cattle numbers back up again. Our population is increasing, and if the cattle numbers keep going down, beef prices will skyrocket, especially if demand far exceeds supply. That means less hamburgers.:(

Hey, can't you blame Obama for the drought? How about the increase in prices? Surely Obama's fault? How about the price of hay? That has become extremely expensive. Surely that is Obama's fault. Because of the drought. Which is/was Al Gore's and Obama's fault.

Michelle doesn't like fat cows. True story. That is why diary farmers are selling their herds.
Obama's fault again.

Three giant corporations control 80% of all beef sold in America. 80%.
I don't believe anything they say. These guys get profit guarantees funded by taxpayer dollars, I think they would like nothing better than to drive up prices to then drive up the subsidies.
The corruption via the beef industry and our government is one of the worst.
Not to mention everyone knows the slaughter mills employ illegals. There are whole mini-cities that surround the plants that the government does nothing about. Many of them essentially living in squalor.

Hey, can't you blame Obama for the drought? How about the increase in prices? Surely Obama's fault? How about the price of hay? That has become extremely expensive. Surely that is Obama's fault. Because of the drought. Which is/was Al Gore's and Obama's fault.

Michelle doesn't like fat cows. True story. That is why diary farmers are selling their herds.
Obama's fault again.
Why bring politics into this thread? It's off-topic.

We'd all be better off without cattle being raised for beef. All the world's livestock contribute more pollution to the enviroment than all the world's cars. And we're wasting a tremendous amount of food people could be using for their own on our livestock. Figures cite roughly 10:1 ratios of feed/vegetables to raise 1 pound of beef. And given red meat isn't even good for you, it's a stupid and self-destructive waste. I';ve gone vegan before, and if faced with the same level of taxation on beef as is on ciggies, I'd give it up.

No fucking way should my Burgers be taxed because some people don't like them.

Red meat is just fine if you don't go nuts with it, and some people can eat it every day and have no adverse impact.

Beef is bad but have you checked out the price of LAMB?

Wht happened to lamb?

When I was a kid (and not well off) we ate lamb pretty frequently.

Now a tiny lamb chop is like over $10!

It would be win-win-win if prices went that high. Immediate benefits would be healthier people and a healthier planet. Long term, decrease in hunger and, hopefully, extinction of manufactured species.

There is no need to ingest "protein" . Vegans get their protein from the same place that meat eaters do - the essential amino acids.

I don't believe anything they say. These guys get profit guarantees funded by taxpayer dollars, I think they would like nothing better than to drive up prices to then drive up the subsidies.
Not to mention everyone knows the slaughter mills employ illegals. There are whole mini-cities that surround the plants that the government does nothing about. Many of them essentially living in squalor.

We're told that eating meat is good for us but if you look at who finances that propaganda, its the producers of the meat.

If it weren't for tax-funded subsidies, hamburger would be selling for $30 a pound.

Part of the corruption is that the huge mega-corporations have a nice arrangement with the government that goes back to the time when we were actually sending airplanes to pick up illegals to work in this country. INS will go into an area and arrest a few illegals, it will make the news as a "bust", the corp pays a small fine and brings in more illegals to take the place of those who were deported. The deported illegals just get on the bus back to the US and it starts all over again.

The most recent (that I know of) example of this little game took place at Smithfield. Now that China owns Smithfield, the safety standards will go even lower and Americans will be subsidizing the take over.

But, what do we hear from close-minded Americans?

Just the usual whining about how nobody is gonna make them eat healthy food and they sure as hell won't put up with their kids eating one healthy meal a day. :cuckoo:

Beef is bad but have you checked out the price of LAMB?

Wht happened to lamb?

When I was a kid (and not well off) we ate lamb pretty frequently.

Now a tiny lamb chop is like over $10!

Because I would suspect there is no subsidies for lamb like there is for cattle.
If you are a cattle farmer with gov't backed profit guarantees if you have cattle - or no such windfall if you have lamb...which one would you raise?

It would be win-win-win if prices went that high. Immediate benefits would be healthier people and a healthier planet. Long term, decrease in hunger and, hopefully, extinction of manufactured species.

There is no need to ingest "protein" . Vegans get their protein from the same place that meat eaters do - the essential amino acids.

We're told that eating meat is good for us but if you look at who finances that propaganda, its the producers of the meat.

If it weren't for tax-funded subsidies, hamburger would be selling for $30 a pound.

Part of the corruption is that the huge mega-corporations have a nice arrangement with the government that goes back to the time when we were actually sending airplanes to pick up illegals to work in this country. INS will go into an area and arrest a few illegals, it will make the news as a "bust", the corp pays a small fine and brings in more illegals to take the place of those who were deported. The deported illegals just get on the bus back to the US and it starts all over again.

The most recent (that I know of) example of this little game took place at Smithfield. Now that China owns Smithfield, the safety standards will go even lower and Americans will be subsidizing the take over.

But, what do we hear from close-minded Americans?

Just the usual whining about how nobody is gonna make them eat healthy food and they sure as hell won't put up with their kids eating one healthy meal a day. :cuckoo:

Fuck off and stay away from my hamburgers and porterhouse steaks.

Forum List

Back