CBS reporter's computers turning on & off by themselves?

Macs can start up from shut down, in fact you can set your Mac to start and shut down at whatever time you want. It is controlled from the "energy saver" panel in system preferences. Click on the "schedule" button in the lower right hand corner, then select the start up or wake box and choose a day/weekday/weekend/every day and time. You can also choose sleep/restart/shut down and a time.
Ahhh this explains it, I was thinking of a Windows desktop where off is off until an on button is physically pressed.

Do Macs do that in just laptops or in desktops too?
Laptops and desktops. It is part of the OS X system software.

Macs can start up from shut down, in fact you can set your Mac to start and shut down at whatever time you want. It is controlled from the "energy saver" panel in system preferences. Click on the "schedule" button in the lower right hand corner, then select the start up or wake box and choose a day/weekday/weekend/every day and time. You can also choose sleep/restart/shut down and a time.
Ahhh this explains it, I was thinking of a Windows desktop where off is off until an on button is physically pressed.

Do Macs do that in just laptops or in desktops too?
Laptops and desktops. It is part of the OS X system software.

You can do it in windows and linux on PCs as well.

Seriously? I've got a Windows 8 desktop, where do I set it to turn on at a certain time? I've never heard of that.

If you can control the mouse, then it wouldnt be tough to power down the computer at all. Just go to start and then shut down.
I understand how shutting down can happen, heck you don't even need to control the mouse just run the command "shutdown /s" no problems.

It is the part saying that computers were turning on by themselves that puzzles me. How can a powered down computer accept a command to turn on? It isn't listening.

I'm sure code could be written to do just that. IF they can have access to turn it off then they have access where they can download code as well.

It could be "coded" to only APPEAR to shutdown

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU]Twilight Zone Opening THEME MUSIC 1962 Rod Serling - YouTube[/ame]

OMG! My computer is turning itself off and on ALL BY ITSELF! This is Hugh and Series11111!!!!!!!!

It's called Windows Update.

Your computer automatically downloads updates to your operating system and sometimes it requires a restart (warm boot). Mine will ask me if I wanna restart now or wait 10 minutes. Either way it's gonna' restart.

Too spooky for ya'? You can learn how to turn it off by using the NSA Search Application "Google".

OMG! My computer is turning itself off and on ALL BY ITSELF! This is Hugh and Series11111!!!!!!!!

Your computer automatically downloads updates to your operating system and sometimes it requires a restart (warm boot). Mine will ask me if I wanna restart now or wait 10 minutes. Either way it's gonna' restart.

Too spooky for ya'? You can learn how to turn it off by using the NSA Search Application "Google".

She had a cyber expert in, dude. Can't you read? The computers were hacked. She and CBS are taking this very seriously, and so should the WH.

I know all you "Julias" (aka Useful Idiots) will be trying to deflect and excuse as usual, but that was LAME.

She had a cyber expert in, dude. Can't you read? The computers were hacked. She and CBS are taking this very seriously, and so should the WH.

I know all you "Julias" (aka Useful Idiots) will be trying to deflect and excuse as usual, but that was LAME.
Yeah, a "cyber expert" who was too stupid to turn off the energy saver.

Windows Update has never turned my computer on in the middle of the night.

It can't.

Updates download while you're online, and if you shutdown when they're installing, the computer stays on until they finish, then shuts down. It cannot restart. Beside, she uses Apple.

These Obamite morons who can't read are running out of deflections and excuses for this corrupt regime.

It can't.

Updates download while you're online, and if you shutdown when they're installing, the computer stays on until they finish, then shuts down. It cannot restart. Beside, she uses Apple.

These Obamite morons who can't read are running out of deflections and excuses for this corrupt regime.

I can if configured to behave that way.

It can't.

I can if configured to behave that way.

I'm sure any hacker could, after gaining access while the computer was on.

The cyber expert CBS hired dismissed any typical malware or phishing scams, and Attkisson says she KNOWS who did it, and is pissed that her family computer was acessed. Ciivil lawsuits and criminal charges will be coming. Possible impeachments as well.

Seriously? I've got a Windows 8 desktop, where do I set it to turn on at a certain time? I've never heard of that.

Wake on lan:
Wake-on-LAN behavior in Windows 8

Setting wake timer:
How to Make Your PC Wake From Sleep Automatically

Neither of these examples has a computer turning on from being powered off. This is about sleep/low powered modes.

Maybe it's possible to set something up to turn a pc on from a full power off (something in BIOS perhaps?) but I don't think I've heard of it before. Not that I'm any expert, mind you. :tongue:

Wake on lan:
Wake-on-LAN behavior in Windows 8

Setting wake timer:
How to Make Your PC Wake From Sleep Automatically

Neither of these examples has a computer turning on from being powered off. This is about sleep/low powered modes.

Maybe it's possible to set something up to turn a pc on from a full power off (something in BIOS perhaps?) but I don't think I've heard of it before. Not that I'm any expert, mind you. :tongue:

Yeah, wake on lan is full power off while plugged in, or wireless wake on lan for a laptop while not plugged in. The idea is the nic is listening off your ethernet for a special packet, it gets the packet and trips the power supply as if you had pushed the power button. Thus if you have router that the "boys" can access, highly likely they can have it send the magic packet... click power on. If they rootkit'd her comp. or whatever they can also have it do pretty much what they want during boot and coming up.

Forum List

Back