Celebrate African American History Month

add your favorite African American accomplishments. I'll start:

I'll start w/ our African American President's address:

"snip"
By The President of The United States of America

A Proclamation

In America, we share a dream that lies at the heart of our founding: that no matter who you are, no matter what you look like, no matter how modest your beginnings or the circumstances of your birth, you can make it if you try. Yet, for many and for much of our Nation's history, that dream has gone unfulfilled. For African Americans, it was a dream denied until 150 years ago, when a great emancipator called for the end of slavery. It was a dream deferred less than 50 years ago, when a preacher spoke of justice and brotherhood from Lincoln's memorial. This dream of equality and fairness has never come easily -- but it has always been sustained by the belief that in America, change is possible.

more at: Presidential Proclamation: National African American History Month, 2013 | The White House

And what "emancipator was that?
Was it President Lincoln? The man that only "emancipated" black slaves in the Confederate states while leaving all other blacks enslaved in non-confederate states to continue their slavery?

"snip"
By The President of The United States of America

A Proclamation

In America, we share a dream that lies at the heart of our founding: that no matter who you are, no matter what you look like, no matter how modest your beginnings or the circumstances of your birth, you can make it if you try. Yet, for many and for much of our Nation's history, that dream has gone unfulfilled. For African Americans, it was a dream denied until 150 years ago, when a great emancipator called for the end of slavery. It was a dream deferred less than 50 years ago, when a preacher spoke of justice and brotherhood from Lincoln's memorial. This dream of equality and fairness has never come easily -- but it has always been sustained by the belief that in America, change is possible.

more at: Presidential Proclamation: National African American History Month, 2013 | The White House

Was it President Lincoln? The man that only "emancipated" black slaves in the Confederate states while leaving all other blacks enslaved in non-confederate states to continue their slavery?

who helped smash the rebellion & viola: Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"snip"

who helped smash the rebellion & viola: Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just pointing out that Mr Obama doesn't know history very well.

one of my heroes. I read his biography last year

Frederick Douglass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Frederick Douglass (born Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey, c. February 1818– February 20, 1895) was an American social reformer, orator, writer and statesman. After escaping from slavery, he became a leader of the abolitionist movement, gaining note for his dazzling oratory and incisive antislavery writing. He stood as a living counter-example to slaveholders' arguments that slaves did not have the intellectual capacity to function as independent American citizens. Many Northerners also found it hard to believe that such a great orator had been a slave.

Thats all I'm going to post today because its Black History Month ALL month. :)

Last edited:
Frederick M. Jones, because I would melt without my AC:)

Actually he did not invent A/C that was done many years earlier by Dr. Willis Carrier. Carrier built the first machine to control both the temperature and humidity of indoor air.

Dr. Carrier actually received the first of many patents in 1906 (US patent #808897, for the “Apparatus for Treating Air” if you'd like to look it up for yourself).

Dr. Carrier also published the formulae that became the scientific basis for air conditioning design back in 1911, and four years later formed the Carrier Engineering Corporation to develop and manufacture AC systems.

Frederick M. Jones, because I would melt without my AC:)

Actually he did not invent A/C that was done many years earlier by Dr. Willis Carrier. Carrier built the first machine to control both the temperature and humidity of indoor air.

Dr. Carrier actually received the first of many patents in 1906 (US patent #808897, for the “Apparatus for Treating Air” if you'd like to look it up for yourself).

Dr. Carrier also published the formulae that became the scientific basis for air conditioning design back in 1911, and four years later formed the Carrier Engineering Corporation to develop and manufacture AC systems.
^^ true story.

Federick made many improvements on refrigeration, but his focus was adding cooling to trucks to preserve food.

I have long admired the works of Richard Wright and James Baldwin, two of Amerca's best and most important writers.

“I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”
― James Baldwin

I have long admired the works of Richard Wright and James Baldwin, two of Amerca's best and most important writers.

“I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”
― James Baldwin

Do you know much about the conflict between Wright and Baldwin? They could not find a common enemy?

U16f303.png

Forum List

Back