CFB Playoffs were a Bust

This was a championship game. You have to expect better.

Why? We get lopsided playoff games every year in the CFP. This year it just happened in the Championship game.

We get lopsided playoff and SB's all the time in the NFL, and there is far more parity there than in CFB.

I think OSU almost being UGA contributed to the title game being such a blowout. Had Georgia beat OSU handily TCU might have snuck up on them. UGA was the best team but they were the best team with a chip on their shoulder on Monday night. That's not a good combo for their opponent.

Kirby Smart will always have a dominating defense. It's what he does. But last night the defense played lights out. Something that is apparently not in Michigan's playbook.

The defense gave the offense time. The Time of Possession favored Georgia 37 minutes to 23 minutes. That is just shy of an entire quarter of football that Georgia's offense had that TCU's did not.

Why? We get lopsided playoff games every year in the CFP. This year it just happened in the Championship game.

We get lopsided playoff and SB's all the time in the NFL, and there is far more parity there than in CFB.
The Superbowl's from the start the first few decades had many more stinkers than good ones. For the last couple of decades or so there were many greater games than not so good ones. The dead of Winter rings depression in people and the NFL struck gold as it is like a holiday. Someone should think up something for near the late middle or end of February before March Madness. So, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Super bowls in growing cold has a window period before March Madness to invent something else. That has to work though.

TCU beat Michigan because of two Pick Sixes and a fumble at the one yard line

Georgia was not about to give them the same gift

TCU beat Michigan because of two Pick Sixes and a fumble at the one yard line

Georgia was not about to give them the same gift

TCU beat Michigan because Michigan's defense didn't (couldn't?) do what Georgia's defense did.

Michigan allowed TCU 19 1st downs. Georgia allowed them 9 first downs.
TCU was 8 for 16 in 3rd down conversions against Michigan. They were 2 for 11 against Georgia.
Tcu was able to rush for 263 yards against Michigan, but only 36 against GA.
TCU passed for 225 yards against Michigan, but only 152 against GA.
TCU's total offense was 488 yards against Michigan, but only 188 against GA.

Kirby Smart's defense won the game. It is that simple.

TCU beat Michigan because Michigan's defense didn't (couldn't?) do what Georgia's defense did.

Michigan allowed TCU 19 1st downs. Georgia allowed them 9 first downs.
TCU was 8 for 16 in 3rd down conversions against Michigan. They were 2 for 11 against Georgia.
Tcu was able to rush for 263 yards against Michigan, but only 36 against GA.
TCU passed for 225 yards against Michigan, but only 152 against GA.
TCU's total offense was 488 yards against Michigan, but only 188 against GA.

Kirby Smart's defense won the game. It is that simple.

Two Pick Sixes and a fumble at the One had nothing to do with it?

The 65-7 blowout of TCU by Georgia in the CFP Championship game says more about about the current playoff system than it does about Georgia's dominance of the 2022 CFB season. First of all, teams should play their way into the playoffs, not just be voted in. Second, no team that does not win its conference championship should be included. (TCU and Ohio State lost two of their last three games of the season!) Third, all of the playoff games should be played at neutral sites.

Neither the current system nor the proposed 12-team playoffs meet these criteria.
That's not going to happen. The so called champs of the Mac Sunbelt MWC etc are not going to get autobus.

Two Pick Sixes and a fumble at the One had nothing to do with it?

Sure they did. But only because TCU was still in the game. If they had gotten 2 pick sixes and a fumble at the one, in the 4th quarter against GA, would it have made a difference?

Sure they did. But only because TCU was still in the game. If they had gotten 2 pick sixes and a fumble at the one, in the 4th quarter against GA, would it have made a difference?

Those pick sixes and the fumble on the goal line didnt happen in the 4th quarter against Michigan though They happened in the 1st and 3rd quarter. Don't forget Michigan went for it on 4th down from the 2 and didnt make it on their first drive. Michigan played terribly against TCU. Some of that (at least) should be accredited to TCU. UGA played fantastic against TCU. Most of that should be accredited to Coach Smart (and his staff) and the UGA players, but part of it has to be put on TCU not executing very well.

I'll also mention that if the hit on Marvin Harrison doesn't happen or even if they gave OSU a first down (and the likely should have on that hit) UGA isn't even in the title game.

I think you should have to win your way into the playoffs. I favor an 8 team playoff of conference champions.
So you would rather see the MAC champion (Toledo I believe) in the playoffs rather than Alabama or Tennessee or Penn State, etc. etc.
Sorry, could not disagree more.

UGA made TCU look like a FCS Tennessee St. tune up game, and TCU was really good. I think the OSU game woke them up.

So you would rather see the MAC champion (Toledo I believe) in the playoffs rather than Alabama or Tennessee or Penn State, etc. etc.
Sorry, could not disagree more.
I would rather see the top six conference champions plus 2 spots for other conference champions or independents. I don't want to see SEC or B10 rematches.

Forum List

Back