Chicago Set To Get Hit With Record Snow Storm!!!

Checking in from Indy here, the ice storm is starting to sprinkle in, the cars out in my condo complex that aren't in the carports have a glaze on them already.

I AM SO AFRAID WE WILL LOSE POWER!

Checking in from Indy here, the ice storm is starting to sprinkle in, the cars out in my condo complex that aren't in the carports have a glaze on them already.

Have you lost power before during these storms?

Not here, in my old house, yes. We haven't had a storm like this since I've lived here.

Not here, in my old house, yes. We haven't had a storm like this since I've lived here.

I guess if your car has gas in it and you are too cold, go warm it up and call for help.

If you have gas heat, a small generator can keep that and it's fan going. The small stickon LED lights that are used for camping are good for a few hours, and the light is adequete for most tasks.

I live 100 miles due west of Chicago in northwestern Illinois. We already have a blanket of snow, well ice that was once snow, now and they are saying here that we are going to be under blizzard warnings beginning around noon tomorrow (Tuesday) and not ending until late Wednesday afternoon. I've heard predictions that are all over the ruler. Most reliable forecast is for between 12 to 20 inches of snow. Heavy winds are expected to create white out conditions. Got plenty of groceries laid up, lots of gas for the snow blower, tractor to plow the farm lane, and a generator if we loose power. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Can't do anything about it except count the days until spring.

If you have gas heat, a small generator can keep that and it's fan going. The small stickon LED lights that are used for camping are good for a few hours, and the light is adequete for most tasks.

I went to Ace Hardware today after work, they were out of EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING.

We have some flashlights and candles. We will just bundle up and hope for the best.

I went to Ace Hardware today after work, they were out of EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING.

We have some flashlights and candles. We will just bundle up and hope for the best.

Well, I sure hope you do not lose power. I grew up in cold country, and sub-zero weather with a wind is brutal. Stay warm and safe.

Ive broken 2 snow shovels over the last month trying to keep up with all this fcukking global warming!!!

And here in Portland, Oregon, we are supposed to have a cold night tomorrow night. It might get down to 30. Been a very mild January here. Average daytime temperatures about 50 degrees, nighttime about 40. Had one week of chilly temps at the end of December, but nothing since.

I'm a few hours south of Chitown- they've called off schools. Been raining ice for 3 hours now.
Glad I bought that extra bag of rock salt.
And a 12 pack of beer. :D

Much rather have snow than ice. That stuff really wreaks havoc. We had about an inch of it 6 years ago. Through some quirck of the way the grid is here, the blocks to the south of us, and on each side, were out of power. We had power, as did the blocks to the north of us. Took about six days for them to get the power back on for those areas. Hope you are not losing power.

Well, I sure hope you do not lose power. I grew up in cold country, and sub-zero weather with a wind is brutal. Stay warm and safe.

Thanks darling.

All the schools are closed tomorrow already, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I'm a few hours south of Chitown- they've called off schools. Been raining ice for 3 hours now.
Glad I bought that extra bag of rock salt.
And a 12 pack of beer. :D

Much rather have snow than ice. That stuff really wreaks havoc. We had about an inch of it 6 years ago. Through some quirck of the way the grid is here, the blocks to the south of us, and on each side, were out of power. We had power, as did the blocks to the north of us. Took about six days for them to get the power back on for those areas. Hope you are not losing power.

Still have power. :thup:
We moved to the "big" city in '09 after 15 years in the country, on elec. co-op grid.

We used to lose elec. all the time. The phone service sucked, no cell phone signal, drew water from a well (undrinkable), no cable tv or DSL. Man I feel like I'm the Ritz Carlton now. :D

It was like Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse arrived, the grocery store was insane.

Ramen, Mac and Cheese, milk, eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, bacon, pasta, tomato sauce, Tostados, sprite, crunchers, bananas, chunky soup and

the most important case of beer and bottle of Woodford Reserve!

We're getting lucky, at least we're expecting the foot of snow before the inch or two of ice.

Bad enough, but the other way around is worse.

Everybody be smart and stay safe! :eusa_pray:

We're getting lucky, at least we're expecting the foot of snow before the inch or two of ice.

Be safe GC. The storm is supposed to sweep just north of me. Supposed to be 51 Tomorrow here in east central KY. 40 miles north is getting freezing rain now.

Be safe GC. The storm is supposed to sweep just north of me. Supposed to be 51 Tomorrow here in east central KY. 40 miles north is getting freezing rain now.

You're lucky. This is going to be a mess.

It won't start here for a few hours yet, then just snow tonight and most of the day tomorrow. Tomorrow night and Wednesday are when it'll be bad for us.

If you don't see me for a couple days, you'll know why! :(

Forum List

Back