Childhood toys you wished were still around for your kids...

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
If you could find (on eBay, etc.), a toy from your childhood to give to one of your own children... what would it be, and why?

I just found a nearly complete Astrolite on eBay.
Astrolite_10.jpg

It's from 1969, and I remember having a few years worth of fun with it growing up.

I am still looking for a few particular SSP Races.
4328013783_d7d12e43bc.jpg

I remember in grade school we used to race them in the playground, over the basketball court.

wooden scooters.....i see kids with medal fancy ones now......i love my wooden scooter....i still have it

Kewl. What make?

I still have my fathers Flexible Flyer sled hanging in my garage. It's in excellent condition. It gets used whenever there is enough snow for it, and it will be given to my grandchildren someday. Mine got wrapped around a tree when I was a kid, so he gave me his. My brother and sister still have theirs as well. Flexible Flyers were built like tanks... unless you nailed an oak tree like I did ;) Then, they were more like Lego.

Last edited:
make? see that is what has changed.....make? its not a collectors item....its my damn scooter.....let me look.....

LOL... I was curious because some manufacturers really did make things to last (like the sleds I mentioned above). Unfortunately, those are the manufacturers that went out of business because their products lasted too long and there wasn't much repeat business.

o hold on....i have pics lol

now bear in mind this scooter is at least 50 years old....i had found the top half...it comes apart....but couldnt find the bottom half.....a friend was helping me look thru things and came up with it.....i was so overjoyed....*even if he kept telling me...dont try to ride it*

011-12.jpg

012-9.jpg

013-10.jpg

014-8.jpg

016-8.jpg

it was used daily .....when the weather allowed.....i love that old scooter

o hold on....i have pics lol

now bear in mind this scooter is at least 50 years old....i had found the top half...it comes apart....but couldnt find the bottom half.....a friend was helping me look thru things and came up with it.....i was so overjoyed....*even if he kept telling me...dont try to ride it*

011-12.jpg

012-9.jpg

013-10.jpg

014-8.jpg

016-8.jpg

it was used daily .....when the weather allowed.....i love that old scooter

you soooooooooooooooooooo have to hold onto this. I've seen metal Hausser's, but I never saw a wooden one. outstanding. Made in Germany, btw.

EDIT:
O. & M. Hausser Stuttgart (Ludwigsburg), Germany
1904 - 1983
Founder: Otto and Max Hausser
Specialty: Dolls, toys, and military miniatures of composition sawdust and glue, made under the name "Elastolin". Also made still banks from 1929-1939.

Last edited:
yea my family lived in germany when i was real young....i would never give up my scooter.....i cried when they found the missing half...it is so worn now....hundreds of hours of riding.....

which ages it a few more years......it breaks down into two parts....we came back from germany on a ship....i would say the fact that it was easy to carry is why it came with us

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxeIHcvPmtA]Peter Paul and Mary, The Marvelous Toy - YouTube[/ame]​

When I was a young boy my favorite toys were clothes-pins.

There's two kinds clamping pin and the passive pins.

To me they were two grand oppossing armies battling for domination over various battlefields in my house.

The other thing I spend countless hours playing with was modeling clay. I have probably twenty pounds of the stuff and a near unlimited supply of it when I neede more, too.

My mother then worked for Binney and Smith and so she could bring home the seconds. Packages that were danmaged and unsellable.

Imagine the young editec spending hours modeling armies of different colored clay soldiers numbering hundred of clay men all armed with needles, pins, pencil for bludgeons and locked forever in eternal war to control the tables and floors, the stairwell and the basement that was their tiny universe.

Forum List

Back