🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

China bans burqas

I guess I am just bigoted when it comes to Burkas.

in the world as it is today----and the ethos of islam what it is
today------it seems to me to be too convenient a disguise

well, from what I've heard the Uyghurs are not anything like Islamists in the ME.

Uyghur people - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
I guess I am just bigoted when it comes to Burkas.

in the world as it is today----and the ethos of islam what it is
today------it seems to me to be too convenient a disguise

well, from what I've heard the Uyghurs are not anything like Islamists in the ME.

Uyghur people - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I am not impressed-----I have encountered and KNOWN muslims from lots of different places in the world-----muslims
do INTERACT with ----each other ------and pick up their
"ideas" from each other ----the UYGHUR people are not
isolated and PROTECTED from jihadist ideology. It has amazed me since I have been "in contact"----how much they HATE EACH OTHER-----despite the fact that the share common ideologies. Hate each other as they do----their
greatest and consistent hatred is THE KAFFIRIN

There are considerable cultural differences amongst Muslims around the world. Take for example the Shia/Sunni divide which doesn't exist in many Muslim cultures outside the ME.
Cuz it's stupid.

As long as no one forces me to wear one, I don't care if someone else chooses to wear one :)

I do think that some women might be kind of brainwashed into believing that their bodies are "evil." That is kind of the concept behind the burqa, to hide our female shape. I think some of them were born into this belief and have fallen for that misinformation that men cannot control themselves. That's kind of sad. We should be able to be proud of our bodies and not have to hide them because of men. That's my opinion. However, if an adult woman chooses on her own to wear a burqa, who am I to tell them they cannot?

It's funny - I am not sure if that is the reason, so much as it is religious modesty. I've heard some women that say they actually feel more "liberated" with a Burkha and safer - they don't feel like they are being oggled by men. But, the thing is...the Abrahamic religions seem to emphasize that women's body's are evil and full of temptation (as if men can't control themselves on their own). Women have to be "pure" - men, not so much.

I do think that some women might be kind of brainwashed into believing that their bodies are "evil." ...

Has any woman ever told you that is the reason she wears a burka, or anything else?

I do think that some women might be kind of brainwashed into believing that their bodies are "evil." ...

Has any woman ever told you that is the reason she wears a burka, or anything else?

:rolleyes-41: People who are brainwashed DO NOT realize that they are brainwashed. It's ignorance that is learned from a young age. That's why some of the men in some ME countries will beat women for having their ankles exposed. It's a patriarchal society, period, end of story.

:rolleyes-41: People who are brainwashed DO NOT realize that they are brainwashed.....

You could use that illogical thinking to declare that anyone you want does anything you want for any reason you want.

:rolleyes-41: People who are brainwashed DO NOT realize that they are brainwashed.....

You could use that illogical thinking to declare that anyone you want does anything you want for any reason you want.

No, you can't. Do you have anything at all to add to the topic?

Who really cares when anybody wears ANY type of attire. The number of times and places where they are banned should be few. At the other end of the scale, certain body types wearing bikinis should also be banned in public!!

th

Greg
I would also suggest that Spandex clothing have a "do not exceed" weight limit.

I think they should be banned in certain venues, like court, getting a mug shot taken, perhaps at work, etc. Other than that, on their free time, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to wear whatever the hell they want. I certainly wouldn't want the government to tell me what I can and cannot wear, within reason of course.

I agree. And that comes down to best practices and public safety - you can not wear a burka as a fire fighter, medical professional, for ID pictures, in court or as a teacher. I think in those cases either it's necessary to be able to see one's face or it directly impacts the ability to do the job or safety. By the same token, we do not want those professions dressing in a thong and pasties ;)
Interesting that with the cold and winds we've been experiencing that just about everyone working on the open ramps at the airport are muffled in heavy coats, head socks, mittens or gloves, and some even have ski goggles on. Unless you know the name of who's assigned to your flight, you might not recognize anyone. So I suppose there are times and places when having only your eyes exposed might be a matter of personal protection.

And yet, where is the screaming objection to the intolerance of anything not muslim as the muslims rape, behead, crucify, and otherwise destroy all things non-muslim? Don't the Chinese have the same rights to ban or eradicate what does not fit into their social system?

And what has that to with banning burka's in China?
I just find it ludicrous that you hail the right of the Chinese to selectively infringe on human rights. You hero-worship a country (one among many with human abyssmal human rights records you would not ordinarily honor) for doing something you would not tolerate if directed at any other group of people.

So what if women want to wear burkas? Why not make butt crack and muffin tops illegal?
Making butt crack and muffin tops illegal might not be all that bad an idea. If the women truly want to don burkas, well...OK. But I suspect too many of these women make a choice based on threat and intimidation. I wonder, would you be so supportive of Christian women forced to cover themselves in deference to their "god"?

Absolutely. There are many sects of Christians and Orthodox Jews that choose to dress in "modest" attire that reflects their religious beliefs, and it's their right.
To choose to do so is absolutely their right. To be forced to do so under threat of punishment...not so much.

Ok....I agree, the choice is the right. However, are you then going to go and forbid all forms of "modest" dress and religious garb that are imposed on young girls by their faith and families?
Given the most popular forms of attire favored by young women and girls (too many dress like cheap streetwalkers or strippers), I don't see why public venues are not more adamant about "modest" attire. It's really too bad that so many young women (girls) appear to feel that the only way to garner attention is to dress like hootchie sluts.

Cuz it's stupid.

As long as no one forces me to wear one, I don't care if someone else chooses to wear one :)

I do think that some women might be kind of brainwashed into believing that their bodies are "evil." That is kind of the concept behind the burqa, to hide our female shape. I think some of them were born into this belief and have fallen for that misinformation that men cannot control themselves. That's kind of sad. We should be able to be proud of our bodies and not have to hide them because of men. That's my opinion. However, if an adult woman chooses on her own to wear a burqa, who am I to tell them they cannot?
You should do more research about how muslim men view women. For muslims, women are little more than breeding stock. They can be abused, even killed, pretty much on the whim of men, particularly those men who should love, cherish, and protect them.

Cuz it's stupid.

You should do more research about how muslim men view women. For muslims, women are little more than breeding stock. They can be abused, even killed, pretty much on the whim of men, particularly those men who should love, cherish, and protect them.

I agree with that.

It's all written in their Holy Book. It's all put in place in their Sharia Law!

Sometimes I think they put goat and sheep above women.

And what has that to with banning burka's in China?
I just find it ludicrous that you hail the right of the Chinese to selectively infringe on human rights. You hero-worship a country (one among many with human abyssmal human rights records you would not ordinarily honor) for doing something you would not tolerate if directed at any other group of people.

So what if women want to wear burkas? Why not make butt crack and muffin tops illegal?
Making butt crack and muffin tops illegal might not be all that bad an idea. If the women truly want to don burkas, well...OK. But I suspect too many of these women make a choice based on threat and intimidation. I wonder, would you be so supportive of Christian women forced to cover themselves in deference to their "god"?

Absolutely. There are many sects of Christians and Orthodox Jews that choose to dress in "modest" attire that reflects their religious beliefs, and it's their right.
To choose to do so is absolutely their right. To be forced to do so under threat of punishment...not so much.

Ok....I agree, the choice is the right. However, are you then going to go and forbid all forms of "modest" dress and religious garb that are imposed on young girls by their faith and families?
Given the most popular forms of attire favored by young women and girls (too many dress like cheap streetwalkers or strippers), I don't see why public venues are not more adamant about "modest" attire. It's really too bad that so many young women (girls) appear to feel that the only way to garner attention is to dress like hootchie sluts.

Well, you don't have to look at them. People can dress anyway they want, IMO. I don't want the government telling ME what to wear.

Cuz it's stupid.

Cuz it's stupid.

I agree with that.

It's all written in their Holy Book. It's all put in place in their Sharia Law!

Sometimes I think they put goat and sheep above women.
That comment makes me think of something I heard recently about how these animals actually get off sexually on their violence...that it make life easier for the sheep and goats. But seriously, women are consider "unclean" but are a necessary evil if one wishes to have sons. Have you ever read the "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence? He observed and wrote his book before the PC police came into existence. There are some interesting observations about what is, and is not, acceptable among muslim men. Can you say "catamite"?

You are right. I do not have to look at them. They have the "right" to dress however they want to. It's tragic, though, that they have bought into the fiction that the only way to validate themselves is to dress like whores. Don't you think that it is much more sensual, imagining what is being concealed, than having "it all" put on display, like some strip in Vegas?
My objection to burkas it that they insist on covering their faces. In some situations, that could be an issue. Think of the obstruction of peripheral vision while driving? Oh, yeah, not a problem when their women are not allowed to drive. On the street, who the hell cares.

Well, you don't have to look at them. People can dress anyway they want, IMO. I don't want the government telling ME what to wear.

Cuz it's stupid.

I think that is very often a media stereotype.

Illogical speculation is not "adding to the topic."

It's not illogical at all. It makes perfect sense. No person in their right mind would wear a burka when it's 90 degrees outside. They wear it because they think they have to. They're considered "sluts" if they don't cover their bodies.

You are right. I do not have to look at them. They have the "right" to dress however they want to. It's tragic, though, that they have bought into the fiction that the only way to validate themselves is to dress like whores. Don't you think that it is much more sensual, imagining what is being concealed, than having "it all" put on display, like some strip in Vegas?
My objection to burkas it that they insist on covering their faces. In some situations, that could be an issue. Think of the obstruction of peripheral vision while driving? Oh, yeah, not a problem when their women are not allowed to drive. On the street, who the hell cares.

Well, styles change. Just because some of you are stuck in the 1950s . . . I like short skirts and dresses that show my legs. If someone is going to think I'm a whore or a slut because of THAT, then that is someone I wouldn't be interested in being friends with anyways.

It's not illogical at all. ...

It's the very definition of illogical.

Forum List

Back