China joins fight against ISIS

Chinese warplanes to join Russian air strikes in Syria. Russia gains Iraqi air base

Russia’s military intervention in Syria has expanded radically in two directions.DEBKAfile’s military and intelligence sources report that China sent word to Moscow Friday, Oct. 2, that J-15 fighter bombers would shortly join the Russian air campaign that was launched Wednesday, Sept. 30. Baghdad has moreover offered Moscow an air base for targeting the Islamic State now occupying large swathes of Iraqi territory
Russia’s military intervention in Syria has five additional participants: China, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Hizballah.

The J-15 warplanes will take off from the Chinese Liaoning-CV-16 aircraft carrier, which reached Syrian shores on Sept. 26 (as DEBKAfile exclusively reported at the time). This will be a landmark event for Beijing: its first military operation in the Middle East as well the carrier’s first taste of action in conditions of real combat.

Thursday night, China’s foreign minister Wang Yi, made this comment on the Syrian crisis at a UN Security Council session in New York: “The world cannot afford to stand by and look on with folded arms, but must also not arbitrarily interfere (in the crisis).”

A no less significant development occurred at about the same time when Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, speaking to the US PBS NewsHour, said he would welcome a deployment of Russian troops to Iraq to fight ISIS forces in his country too. As an added incentive, he noted that this would also give Moscow the chance to deal with the 2,500 Chechen Muslims whom, he said, are fighting with ISIS in Iraq.

DEBKAfile’s military sources add that Al-Abadi’s words came against the backdrop of two events closely related to Russia’s expanding role in the war arena:

Power shift in the Middle East................China joins the fight................

They aren't fighting isis..they are expanding their reach and influence......

Chinese warplanes to join Russian air strikes in Syria. Russia gains Iraqi air base

Russia’s military intervention in Syria has expanded radically in two directions.DEBKAfile’s military and intelligence sources report that China sent word to Moscow Friday, Oct. 2, that J-15 fighter bombers would shortly join the Russian air campaign that was launched Wednesday, Sept. 30. Baghdad has moreover offered Moscow an air base for targeting the Islamic State now occupying large swathes of Iraqi territory
Russia’s military intervention in Syria has five additional participants: China, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Hizballah.

The J-15 warplanes will take off from the Chinese Liaoning-CV-16 aircraft carrier, which reached Syrian shores on Sept. 26 (as DEBKAfile exclusively reported at the time). This will be a landmark event for Beijing: its first military operation in the Middle East as well the carrier’s first taste of action in conditions of real combat.

Thursday night, China’s foreign minister Wang Yi, made this comment on the Syrian crisis at a UN Security Council session in New York: “The world cannot afford to stand by and look on with folded arms, but must also not arbitrarily interfere (in the crisis).”

A no less significant development occurred at about the same time when Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, speaking to the US PBS NewsHour, said he would welcome a deployment of Russian troops to Iraq to fight ISIS forces in his country too. As an added incentive, he noted that this would also give Moscow the chance to deal with the 2,500 Chechen Muslims whom, he said, are fighting with ISIS in Iraq.

DEBKAfile’s military sources add that Al-Abadi’s words came against the backdrop of two events closely related to Russia’s expanding role in the war arena:

Power shift in the Middle East................China joins the fight................

It's about regional power, and world power projection.

Yep.

The only group on the planet honestly fighting ISIS is the Kurds. And everybody hates the Kurds.

From the cited article I think this might be the most significant element not being added into the equation. The "war room" is in Baghdad. Look up the history of Hezbollah some time to see significance of Iraq for Hezbollah. The early, early history of Hezbollah. I am guessing this Russian/Iran move is on a scale far beyond what anyone in the West is considering. (At least I have have not heard of any such discussions.)

debkafile’s military sources add that Al-Abadi’s words came against the backdrop of two events closely related to Russia’s expanding role in the war arena:

1. A joint Russian-Iranian-Syrian-Iraqi war room has been working since last week out of the Iraqi Defense Ministry and military staff headquarters in Baghdad to coordinate the passage of Russian and Iranian airlifts to Syria and also Russian air raids. This command center is also organizing the transfer of Iranian and pro-Iranian Shiite forces into Syria.

2. Baghdad and Moscow have just concluded a deal for the Russian air force to start using the Al Taqaddum Air Base at Habbaniyah, 74 km west of Baghdad, both as a way station for the Russian air corridor to Syria and as a launching-pad for bombing missions against ISIS forces and infrastructure in northern Iraq and northern Syria.​
Are the Marines at Taqaddum going to be responsible for protecting the Russians or have the been pulled out? What about the US aircraft? Will they be pulled out or did the Iranians and Russians negotiate them over to themselves?
Excellent questions. Probably no one has a clue. This paragraph was directly after what I quoted and should have included I guess:
Russia has thus gained a military enclave in Iraq, just as it has in Syria, where it has taken over a base outside Latakia on the western coast of Syria. At the same time, the Habbaniyah air base also serves US forces operating in Iraq, which number an estimated 5,000.​
I am thinking this is another bullshit story. When things of this magnitude and importance happen they are announced by official government sources and spokespeople, not questionable sources of dubious repute. I suspect that the airbase is being proposed as a possible location for a liaison and conflict resolution center which has been discussed by both Obama and Putin. The Chinese stuff is just added for drama and comes from nowhere.

From the cited article I think this might be the most significant element not being added into the equation. The "war room" is in Baghdad. Look up the history of Hezbollah some time to see significance of Iraq for Hezbollah. The early, early history of Hezbollah. I am guessing this Russian/Iran move is on a scale far beyond what anyone in the West is considering. (At least I have have not heard of any such discussions.)

debkafile’s military sources add that Al-Abadi’s words came against the backdrop of two events closely related to Russia’s expanding role in the war arena:

1. A joint Russian-Iranian-Syrian-Iraqi war room has been working since last week out of the Iraqi Defense Ministry and military staff headquarters in Baghdad to coordinate the passage of Russian and Iranian airlifts to Syria and also Russian air raids. This command center is also organizing the transfer of Iranian and pro-Iranian Shiite forces into Syria.

2. Baghdad and Moscow have just concluded a deal for the Russian air force to start using the Al Taqaddum Air Base at Habbaniyah, 74 km west of Baghdad, both as a way station for the Russian air corridor to Syria and as a launching-pad for bombing missions against ISIS forces and infrastructure in northern Iraq and northern Syria.​
Are the Marines at Taqaddum going to be responsible for protecting the Russians or have the been pulled out? What about the US aircraft? Will they be pulled out or did the Iranians and Russians negotiate them over to themselves?
Excellent questions. Probably no one has a clue. This paragraph was directly after what I quoted and should have included I guess:
Russia has thus gained a military enclave in Iraq, just as it has in Syria, where it has taken over a base outside Latakia on the western coast of Syria. At the same time, the Habbaniyah air base also serves US forces operating in Iraq, which number an estimated 5,000.​
I am thinking this is another bullshit story. When things of this magnitude and importance happen they are announced by official government sources and spokespeople, not questionable sources of dubious repute. I suspect that the airbase is being proposed as a possible location for a liaison and conflict resolution center which has been discussed by both Obama and Putin. The Chinese stuff is just added for drama and comes from nowhere.
Hence the term, "Leading from behind."

The only group on the planet honestly fighting ISIS is the Kurds. And everybody hates the Kurds.

I don't hate the Kurds, I sorta admire them. Some of those Kurdish women are fierce

I've only been peripherally paying attention to this situation, but kind of sounds like the UN is backing Russia in doing this(?)

It's nervous business, but I'm still thinking we should stay out of it. Have we instilled any precautions to ensure that our boys are not caught in the crossfire yet?

I've only been peripherally paying attention to this situation, but kind of sounds like the UN is backing Russia in doing this(?)

It's nervous business, but I'm still thinking we should stay out of it. Have we instilled any precautions to ensure that our boys are not caught in the crossfire yet?
Both the US led coalition and the Russian's have international authority to be active in Syria. The Russian's are there at the invitation of the still recognized Assad government. The US led coalition is there at the invitation of the Iraq government. They, the US led coalition, are allowed into Syria for making attacks on ISIS because ISIS is using Syria as a base of operations, sanctuary and has brought warfare across the Iraq border. This gives Iraq the rights of pursuit for the purpose of self defense. That legal authority is transferred to the US led coalition
As far as "our boys not getting caught in the crossfire", that is trying to be worked out. The only thing preventing an accident is the extreme caution by both sides, especially Russia. Their entire assets could be wiped out in a conventional battle with the US led coalition in less than one hour with no means of replacement or reinforcement. Short of the use of nukes, Russia is at our mercy in Syria.

Both the US led coalition and the Russian's have international authority to be active in Syria. The Russian's are there at the invitation of the still recognized Assad government. The US led coalition is there at the invitation of the Iraq government. They, the US led coalition, are allowed into Syria for making attacks on ISIS because ISIS is using Syria as a base of operations, sanctuary and has brought warfare across the Iraq border. This gives Iraq the rights of pursuit for the purpose of self defense. That legal authority is transferred to the US led coalition
As far as "our boys not getting caught in the crossfire", that is trying to be worked out. The only thing preventing an accident is the extreme caution by both sides, especially Russia. Their entire assets could be wiped out in a conventional battle with the US led coalition in less than one hour with no means of replacement or reinforcement. Short of the use of nukes, Russia is at our mercy in Syria.

Thanks for the brief. My rigs down so I can't seem to keep up on anything lately heh

Sounds like we should be okay with doing nothing, once we get the friendly fire thing figured out, also sounds like Russia isn't going to be "taking over" shit if your assessment of their forces is accurate.

Thanks for the brief. My rigs down so I can't seem to keep up on anything lately heh

Sounds like we should be okay with doing nothing, once we get the friendly fire thing figured out, also sounds like Russia isn't going to be "taking over" shit if your assessment of their forces is accurate.
I think they are making it clear that they intend to keep their Port at Tartus, airbase and sufficient troops and accompanying arms and weaponry to keep the facilities safe and secure no matter what happens in Syria. So far that is what the influx of troops and weaponry indicate, that along with enough air power to support a combat brigade sized offensive. No matter what happens or who gets Syria, Russia is going to end up with their own Guantanamo on the Mediterranean. That is the purpose and mission of Putin.

The bulk of the fighting in Iraq was over Now it's not thanks to your pathetic president

everyone agreeing to a truce long enough for us to get out of the way was not an end to the fighting.

We bribed the Sunnis to play nice long enough for us to withdraw most of our forces under a plan Bush negotiated. Are you really saying keeping another 10,000 troops there (without a status of forces agreement that Iraq wouldn't give us) would have kept the Shi'ites and Sunnis from fighting over how many imams can dance on the head of a pin?

Really? Really?

Because you keep ranting about how irrational Muslims are by virtue of being Muslims, but you think they'd be rational in this case.

Obama fled as well that wasn't Bush

Obama left under the agreement Bush worked out.

Let's be straight about what happened.

We didn't want to be in Iraq and the Iraqis didn't want us there. I'm just not seeing a problem here, guy.

Obama was supposed to renegotiate a status of forces agreement. He failed, because he didn't want an agreement... Get it straight

Obama was supposed to renegotiate a status of forces agreement. He failed, because he didn't want an agreement... Get it straight

Yes, he wasn't going to sign an agreement where American soldiers could be charged with crimes in Iraqi courts.

Good on him.

the thing is, the Iraqis didn't want us in their country. And frankly, given how bad Bush and his Zionist Cronies fucked it up, I can't say I blame them.

So they didn't want us and we didn't want to stay. Everyone got what they wanted.

Yes, he wasn't going to sign an agreement where American soldiers could be charged with crimes in Iraqi courts.

Good on him.

the thing is, the Iraqis didn't want us in their country. And frankly, given how bad Bush and his Zionist Cronies fucked it up, I can't say I blame them.

So they didn't want us and we didn't want to stay. Everyone got what they wanted.

"They didn't want us" is a lie. as we can see now. We should be there in a base like we always do. We fought and died there, we do what we want. We don't wait for permission from some two bit Iranian puppet.

Not to worry. Putin will not stop at the border in his fight against ISIS. He will go into Iraq under his guise of fighting terror. Of course while he's there, he will seize the oil fields and refineries. Saudi is afraid he will continue his march on into Saudi Arabia. Putin, Iran, and China are after the Middle East oil. Once that is secure, they will close off the Middle East oil spigot to the US.

Not to worry. Putin will not stop at the border in his fight against ISIS. He will go into Iraq under his guise of fighting terror. Of course while he's there, he will seize the oil fields and refineries. Saudi is afraid he will continue his march on into Saudi Arabia. Putin, Iran, and China are after the Middle East oil. Once that is secure, they will close off the Middle East oil spigot to the US.
Saudi Arabia might be building up a pretty big grudge against it by Iran for its actions in Yemen. Think we will see Russian bombers over Saudi sand?

Saudi Arabia might be building up a pretty big grudge against it by Iran for its actions in Yemen. Think we will see Russian bombers over Saudi sand?

Quite possible. Putin is ambitious and with Obama in the White House whenever he's not golfing, attending a fund raiser, playing basketball, or on vacation, there's no one to hinder him. I believe he sees an opportunity to elevate Russia to the status of the Number 1 superpower, control the Middle East oil supply, and place the wealthy oil rich Middle East under Russian control.

"They didn't want us" is a lie. as we can see now. We should be there in a base like we always do. We fought and died there, we do what we want. We don't wait for permission from some two bit Iranian puppet.

uh, guy, Maliki was OUR puppet. We put him in charge. And he took the pulse of his constituents and said "Go. Just... Go."

Frankly, if you want a base in Iraq so bad, then you should sign up to serve there. Most American servicemen were damned glad to get out of that madhouse.

Forum List

Back