Churches struggling to find organists

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Music — particularly the music of the organ — is central to the life of the church. Members say the instrument's rich sounds complement their liturgy, inspire congregational singing and even seem to invite the Holy Spirit into their presence.

"In the major religious institutions, sacred music is alive and well, and there are plenty of musicians who are eager for those positions," says John Walker, a member of the organ faculty at the Johns Hopkins Peabody Institute. "But as the organ community grows somewhat smaller through attrition, with people aging out of the profession and fewer young people coming in, we have — well, I hate to say a crisis, but we have a very challenging situation facing us."

Few speak with the authority of Walker, an internationally known church and concert organist who has performed in major cathedrals and on some of the finest instruments in the world. But even he might be understating the point.

It's a pretty cool article that touches on the history, too. Although the lack of organists might be concerning to some. I tried to locate his music

Music — particularly the music of the organ — is central to the life of the church. Members say the instrument's rich sounds complement their liturgy, inspire congregational singing and even seem to invite the Holy Spirit into their presence.

"In the major religious institutions, sacred music is alive and well, and there are plenty of musicians who are eager for those positions," says John Walker, a member of the organ faculty at the Johns Hopkins Peabody Institute. "But as the organ community grows somewhat smaller through attrition, with people aging out of the profession and fewer young people coming in, we have — well, I hate to say a crisis, but we have a very challenging situation facing us."

Few speak with the authority of Walker, an internationally known church and concert organist who has performed in major cathedrals and on some of the finest instruments in the world. But even he might be understating the point.

It's a pretty cool article that touches on the history, too. Although the lack of organists might be concerning to some. I tried to locate his music

They could perhaps move with the times and get music that people actually like listening to, and like singing.

Electronics have entered the organ world. You could literally order a series of songs and have someone turn it on and off when needed.

No organists? Little boys must not be showing up to church these days.

Forum List

Back