Citibank into the mix on gun control

right now it's just limiting it to no one under 21 or without a background check, but if CC companies can do this, what's to stop them from expanding it as they see fit?
I don't see a problem with this, and they also don't allow bump stocks.

About the expanding, I'm not sure I would agree with it or not, but it's hypothetical.

Not saying you are of this opinion, but there are people on here who would go so far as saying background checks are a violation of the 2nd amendment and whatnot.
Make it about BBQ smokers.

Do you want your credit card Co to be able to dictate what you can and can't buy?

You hit the nail square on the head. If they can dictate what guns you can buy, they can dictate anything else that they consider their civic duty to control, such as liquor, cigarettes, cigars, fast food, 2 liter soft drinks, etc.

They are indeed going down a slippery slope.

right now it's just limiting it to no one under 21 or without a background check, but if CC companies can do this, what's to stop them from expanding it as they see fit?

bottom line is if it's legal in the country i don't see how they can determine NOT to service this sale. more popcorn.

Exactly.

It is absolutely not the place of a financial institution to dictate to its customers what legal goods and services they may buy or sell with their own money. If this policy is not flatly illegal, it is, at best, highly inappropriate and unethical.

Not to be argumentative, but one who uses a bank credit card, is actually borrowing the bank's money. Would it be unethical for a bank to prohibit one from using their card in a foreign locale infamous for using children in their brothels?

Opioid use kills more kids than firearms. Why doesn't Citibank put the pressure where it works on doctors who prescribe the drug indiscriminately when they know their patients are selling it or killing themselves?

You want to know the tragedy brought forth in this thread?

With only one or two exceptions, hardly a single poster has been able to read and process the information in the linked article.

This is truly a sad testament to your poor reading skills.

They are putting the limits on businesses, not the consumer. If the businesses do not abide, they will no longer support those businesses.

All they are doing is cutting their own throats!

Let them!

They are putting the limits on businesses, not the consumer. If the businesses do not abide, they will no longer support those businesses.

I get that as I'm sure many here do. The burr under the saddle is this isn't the job of a bank. Or, in better words, this isn't what I hire a bank to do. It's none of their business.

I've been with Citigroup since the 80's. My college student loans were with them. I've carried a Citi Visa for decades until this afternoon when I cancelled my account.

If the businesses do not abide, they will no longer support those businesses.

And as of this afternoon, I have taken my business elsewhere after a 33 year business partnership with Citi.

It is absolutely not the place of a financial institution to dictate to its customers what legal goods and services they may buy or sell with their own money. If this policy is not flatly illegal, it is, at best, highly inappropriate and unethical.

Not to be argumentative, but one who uses a bank credit card, is actually borrowing the bank's money. Would it be unethical for a bank to prohibit one from using their card in a foreign locale infamous for using children in their brothels?

I can see a line to be drawn, if there is very good reason to suspect that one is using one's card to carry out a transaction involving something illegal; perhaps on child prostitution or something like that. But it would have to be a very strong suspicion, and if the denied transaction turned out to be for something legitimate, the customer ought to have very solid grounds to sue the institution responsible.

But we're nowhere near that,here. We're talking about the bank willfully interfering in any otherwise legal transactions, to buy legal products. If the customer is spending his own money, or using his own approved credit, then there is no excuse for the bank to interfere in such a manner.

In particular, I am waiting to hear of a customer in the 18-20-year age range,being denied the legitimate use of his card to purchase a firearm that he legally has the right in his jurisdiction to purchase, turning around and suing Citicorp for illegal age discrimination; as is now happening to Dick's and Walmart. The plaintiff in such a lawsuit would almost certainly win.

I can see a line to be drawn, if there is very good reason to suspect that one is using one's card to carry out a transaction involving something illegal; perhaps on child prostitution or something like that. But it would have to be a very strong suspicion, and if the denied transaction turned out to be for something legitimate, the customer ought to have very solid grounds to sue the institution responsible.

But we're nowhere near that,here. We're talking about the bank willfully interfering in any otherwise legal transactions, to buy legal products. If the customer is spending his own money, or using his own approved credit, then there is no excuse for the bank to interfere in such a manner.

In particular, I am waiting to hear of a customer in the 18-20-year age range,being denied the legitimate use of his card to purchase a firearm that he legally has the right in his jurisdiction to purchase, turning around and suing Citicorp for illegal age discrimination; as is now happening to Dick's and Walmart. The plaintiff in such a lawsuit would almost certainly win.

Agreed.

bottom line is if it's legal in the country i don't see how they can determine NOT to service this sale. more popcorn.
I think the reason you're seeing this trend is that the majority of the people in this country have had enough. Things are going to change, one way or the other.
Well, I put in an entire career in the military because I believe in that document that we call the U.S. Constitution and the First and Second Amendments. And, I also believe that there should be a Civil War to assert those beliefs and drive out the far-left neo-Marxist crap.

Well we had a Civil War, and the President trashed the US Constitution over and over again. This war left over 300,000 Union soldiers dead. And their beloved Tyrant President also dead...But the terrorist tactics the Union used won the war...

Now days, the US fights against Terrorism...

I get the feeling your side lost the first one.

It was your ideological allies that murdered 6 million Jews. I'd say you won that one. Congratulations. Have they made you a Grand Wizard yet?

Exactly.

That would be illegal activity.

How can they stop you from using it for legal items they just dont like? If shootings continue, and they will, what do they stop doing next?

Exactly.

How can they stop you from using it for legal items they just dont like? If shootings continue, and they will, what do they stop doing next?

Alcohol does far more harm to society than do guns but, I won't hold my breath waiting for them to ban the purchase of alcohol with their cards. Hypocrites.

Exactly.

Alcohol does far more harm to society than do guns but, I won't hold my breath waiting for them to ban the purchase of alcohol with their cards. Hypocrites.

And tobacco kills more people every year than guns or alcohol... No credit card bans the purchase of tobacco.

Citigroup Enforces Gun Control Restrictions On Customers

if i had a shitibank card, i'd cancel it in protest. :)

Not sure if anybody's noticed, but there's a major coordinated attack mounted against the 2nd amendment right now.

Google, Facebook, Citibank, certain leftist-run school districts, Youtube (also Google), the media.

I say make them them pay the price for their folly and boycott them.

I know there's a certain something they assume wrongly, but I'm not saying what it is. :eusa_dance: :eusa_naughty:
It's not an attack on the 2nd. It's an attack on excessive firepower in the hands in of an unstable populace that is, for some reason, not being held accountable.
If NO crazy people could get their hands on a gun and NO criminals could get a gun, I'd have no problem with everyone else owning a Howitzer. It's not the way it is, though. You guys had your chance. You didn't fix anything at all. So now we'll mop up.
You’re stupid, You don’t understand the issue at all

Forum List

Back