🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

City governments going after "Little Free Libraries"

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This is when I despise government, and why growing government with ever increasing regulations is such a danger to us all.

The Danger of Being Neighborly Without a Permit

All over America, people have put small "give one, take one" book exchanges in front of their homes. Then they were told to tear them down.

Three years ago, The Los Angeles Times published a feel-good story on the Little Free Library movement. The idea is simple: A book lover puts a box or shelf or crate of books in their front yard. Neighbors browse, take one, and return later with a replacement. A 76-year-old in Sherman Oaks, California, felt that his little library, roughly the size of a dollhouse, "turned strangers into friends and a sometimes-impersonal neighborhood into a community," the reporter observed. The man knew he was onto something "when a 9-year-old boy knocked on his door one morning to say how much he liked the little library." He went on to explain, "I met more neighbors in the first three weeks than in the previous 30 years."

What's Wrong With a Little Free Library?

This is when I despise government, and why growing government with ever increasing regulations is such a danger to us all.

The Danger of Being Neighborly Without a Permit

All over America, people have put small "give one, take one" book exchanges in front of their homes. Then they were told to tear them down.
Three years ago, The Los Angeles Times published a feel-good story on the Little Free Library movement. The idea is simple: A book lover puts a box or shelf or crate of books in their front yard. Neighbors browse, take one, and return later with a replacement. A 76-year-old in Sherman Oaks, California, felt that his little library, roughly the size of a dollhouse, "turned strangers into friends and a sometimes-impersonal neighborhood into a community," the reporter observed. The man knew he was onto something "when a 9-year-old boy knocked on his door one morning to say how much he liked the little library." He went on to explain, "I met more neighbors in the first three weeks than in the previous 30 years."

What's Wrong With a Little Free Library?

Free libraries must be stopped.

Without government funding, such a library could have any book, even those critical of the government or the party. How can what people think be controlled if we allow unregulated peasants to trade knowledge at will?

There is nothing wrong with it, but you will find that many city governments are filled with stupid, gutless idiots that will panic any time a citizen calls and complains about something. Then, you put them in a public meeting as a group of idiots and it gets even worse.

I've seen these pop up al over the place, even in my little rural hamlet. I once even saw one on the hi-way about 20 miles from the nearest town. I think they are great!!! What harm could they possibly pose? Aside from the inevitable scum bag that will use one to lure in potential victims?

I think they are wonderful. My neighbor down the street has one and I helped her fill the case with books from my collection when she first installed it. Some people need to get a damn life.

I dont know guys, it's possible if you built one of these with say, glass doors, a child might get cut on the glass if it somehow broke.
We better consult a builder with permits, or just shut the whole project down just in case of disaster.

I think they are wonderful. My neighbor down the street has one and I helped her fill the case with books from my collection when she first installed it. Some people need to get a damn life.

hehheh ...so many things one can worry about ...little free libraries should be at the bottom of the list.

In the city where I reside they are sponsored by the local library. For several reasons...encourages people to read, puts books out there that are just lying around in places where otherwise no one would read them....not even to mention how expensive books are now.

There is one on a bicycle trail here...I often check out out as i ride by....have found some very good books there... books that otherwise I would never have stumbled across.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
I have been thinking about building one of these for months. Now I'm even more motivated to because I would love to see a city official come and tell me to tear it down.

You'll find meddlers seeking to impose their will on others at all levels of government, from private condo boards, to city councils, right up to the POTUS.

Wish we could find the gene responsible for allowing some to believe they know what's best for others. A pill to fight progressivism?

Forum List

Back