Classic Shell development ceased

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
The developer of Classic Shell, Ivo Beltchev, announced the end of the development and named the following reasons:

"1) Lack of free time. I have other hobbies that demand my time, some related to software and some not. It requires a lot of effort to add new major features to Classic Shell and keep it relevant. Even keeping it running on newer version of Windows is a lot of work. That leads me to point #2

2) Windows 10 is being updated way too frequently (twice a year) and each new version changes something that breaks Classic Shell. And

3) Each new version of Windows moves further away from the classic Win32 programming model, which allowed room for a lot of tinkering. The new ways things are done make it very difficult to achieve the same customizations"

Classic Shell • View topic - Classic Shell no longer in development. Source code released

Maybe someone else will pick it up but then again it would appear Microsoft is doing everything it can to limit or block 3rd party applications it doesn't approve of.

Forum List

Back