Cleopatra

longly

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2013
I realize I'm not a typical person; I am a history nerd. Things that are important to me are irrelevant to other people. The kind of historical image that would disturb me would be the ancient Roman cavalry riding into battle high in their stirrups. The ancient Romans didn't have stirrups. The saddle is a very old invention from the steppes, but stirrups only made it to Western Europe in the Middle Ages. Knowing the past is hard enough without people adding historical pollution to the mix. In 2017 when the DNA test proved that ancient Egypt was not a black nation, I thought the Afrocentric foolishness was coming to an end, but it appears that I was wrong. For the record, Cleopatra was not black, Hannibal was not black, the Phoenicians were not black, the Carthaginians were not black, and there were no black Roman emperors. I'm sorry if it disappoints some of you, but the truth is what it is. I am not trying to say that people of sub-Saharan Africa were inferior; they were not; they were just isolated from the Mediterranean world and its advantages.

Last edited:
What Colour was Septimius Severus?

black

Septimius Severus has been described as the first black Roman Emperor. He was indeed Emperor of Rome, ruling from 193 to 211. Whether he could be described as 'black' is a matter of some debate – he was born in Leptis Magna in what is now Libya (one of my bucket list travel destinations!).Oct 1, 2020

Black History Month No 1: Septimius Severus - Lorna Dupre​

What is Kemet in ancient Egypt?

The Egyptians called their country Kemet, literally the "Black Land" (kem meant "black" in ancient Egyptian). The name derived from the colour of the rich and fertile black soil which was due to the annually occurring Nile inundation. So Kemet was the cultivated area along the Nile valley.

Chariot to Heaven, Kemet.​

Now, as far as a character in a show is a different race than the person they are playing? It has been done for many years,,in other words, it is nothing new.

black

Septimius Severus has been described as the first black Roman Emperor. He was indeed Emperor of Rome, ruling from 193 to 211. Whether he could be described as 'black' is a matter of some debate – he was born in Leptis Magna in what is now Libya (one of my bucket list travel destinations!).Oct 1, 2020

Black History Month No 1: Septimius Severus - Lorna Dupre

"Black" back then wasn't African though, it was just a darker color of Egyptian/Greek/Roman. Usually due to the lengthy time they had to be out in the sun, as many peasants were.

Just because they were dark skinned, doesn't make them African, nor does it make them any kind of "American black".

What is Kemet in ancient Egypt?

The Egyptians called their country Kemet, literally the "Black Land" (kem meant "black" in ancient Egyptian). The name derived from the colour of the rich and fertile black soil which was due to the annually occurring Nile inundation. So Kemet was the cultivated area along the Nile valley.

Chariot to Heaven, Kemet.​

Whoever is responsible for this bit of historical garbage should be strung up by the thumbs until dead. If dead dig up and dismember their corpse, there was no fertile black soil. The inundation deposited red silt to fertilize the fields. This is why the Pharoahnic headdress is red and white for upper desert Egypt and the fertile lower Egypt. There have been a number of attempts to africanize Egyptian royalty. All are bastardizations. There were no black Pharoahs until the Kush at the end of the Egyptian civilization.

Whoever is responsible for this bit of historical garbage should be strung up by the thumbs until dead. If dead dig up and dismember their corpse, there was no fertile black soil. The inundation deposited red silt to fertilize the fields. This is why the Pharoahnic headdress is red and white for upper desert Egypt and the fertile lower Egypt. There have been a number of attempts to africanize Egyptian royalty. All are bastardizations. There were no black Pharoahs until the Kush at the end of the Egyptian civilization.
How many years did you farm along the Nile?

black

Black History Month No 1: Septimius Severus - Lorna Dupre

Septimius Severus was not black. We know what he looked like; we still have the sculpture of his face in Marble; look for yourself. He has the appearance of a Caucasian: his hair is curly, but curly hair is a Caucasian feature common around the Mediterranean in ancient times. Many Greeks were shown with curly hair. Blacks typically do not have curly hair. Their hair is referred to as spiral. The difference is the cross-section curly hair has an Oval cross-section, whereas spiral hair has a flat cross-section. But look at his face; it is the face of a Caucasian:

Septimius Severus - Wikipedia

I'm going with VERY white ...

SevSnape.jpg

Septimius Severus was not black. We know what he looked like; we still have the sculpture of his face in Marble; look for yourself. He has the appearance of a Caucasian: his hair is curly, but curly hair is a Caucasian feature common around the Mediterranean in ancient times. Many Greeks were shown with curly hair. Blacks typically do not have curly hair. Their hair is referred to as spiral. The difference is the cross-section curly hair has an Oval cross-section, whereas spiral hair has a flat cross-section. But look at his face; it is the face of a Caucasian:

Septimius Severus - Wikipedia
They make it up as they go along. These fools insert black to give blacks a meaningful history.

They make it up as they go along. These fools insert black to give blacks a meaningful history.
All histories are meaningful; some people have a long history and others have a short history, but it really makes no difference. If the people of sub-Saharan Africa allow their brief history to affect the quality of their lives, it is their fault. True, you can't have a history until you have a written language; history is the recording of the events of mankind, but it's not significant when you start recording. Instead of worrying about the past, they should be making their history now by developing their resources and becoming wealthy; they have the potential.

"Black" back then wasn't African though, it was just a darker color of Egyptian/Greek/Roman. Usually due to the lengthy time they had to be out in the sun, as many peasants were.

Just because they were dark skinned, doesn't make them African, nor does it make them any kind of "American black".
If the Egyptians Had Been Black, the Pyramids Would Have Been Crack Houses

Last edited:
It's important when studying history not to superimpose modern concepts onto ancient groups of people, and this argument seems to be based on doing exactly that. People back then did not have a concept of 'race' as we do now; they didn't categorize themselves into, for example, 'Black' and 'not Black.'

Egypt's position, and its ease of travel made possible by the Nile, meant that a lot of people congregated there from nearby lands, and where there's congregation, there is inevitably intermixing. (Read their myths; there was apparently a lot of intermixing.) In all likelihood, they would have noticed that northerners had lighter skin, and southerners had darker skin, and that was about it.

The Egyptians considered the Cushites (blacks) to be barbarians. They used the slaves (only part of which were Jews but all were Apiru/hebrew/homeless bums) to build many fortifications along the Nile River to protect themselves from the barbarians.

Forum List

Back