CNN article on near death experiences

turzovka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says - CNN.com

Kind of bland in some ways, from my point of view. It’s about doctors who are experts on NDEs telling us of their findings and beliefs. But I merely wanted to comment on one paragraph only in the article. As follows:

The American Psychological Association concurs. It defines near-death experiences as "profound psychological events with transcendental and mystical elements, typically occurring to individuals close to death or in situations of intense physical or emotional danger."

This leaves me confused. I though science and science and medicine were not allowed to address matters of transcendence or the mystical? Now here we have the formal and official definition from The American Psychological Association, allegedly the most scholarly and qualified on behalf of the field of science, providing us with the formal definition of NDEs and noting elements of the mystical.

And that’s it? You give that tricky part a name but then move away quickly and back to the part where “we have your answer… it’s a dying brain.” The article is not all that rich. They keep talking about tunnels and Jesus being no more prominent than Buddha or Bozo the Clown in all this. Ok, you can have it your way on that. But then do not think we are satisfied that you brush over the fact that people are above the rooms so often observing not only what is taking place in the hospital room they lay dying but other rooms as well! How do they see things going on in other rooms? “Psychological events” you say? I’m not getting it?

Dr. Alexander’s case and facts are far more fascinating and scientific in their conclusions than this report chose to emphasize. A timid article, IMO. What strikes me most is that articles like this too often leave the not-yet-wel-informed reader with the impression that the chances of this being a dying brain are just as good or better than maybe it being is a glimpse of life after death and God. And for me, not unlike the idea or theory that rock soup could turn into life on its own and then eventually complex human life all by hook or by crook --- vs. the process it being via a supernatural intelligent designer we like to refer to as God ---- some like to think those odds are about equal, too. Equal by vote perhaps, but not equally reasonable.

European association on NDE usually examines ONLY the cases which happen under clinical death scenario - to narrow the sample and to avoid some confounding bias.
Dr.Alexander's case would not even be considered - he has never experienced clinical death stage.

The one which is a case of DEATH ( not a clinical death with resuscitation, but DEATH) would be the case of Pam Reynolds ( a deep circulatory arrest case).

http://www.pnarchive.org/docs/pdf/NDEs_and_Cardiac_Arrest_Patients_paper.pdf

http://www.pimvanlommel.nl/files/publicaties/Near-Death Experience_Consciousness and the Brain.pdf

http://users.telenet.be/limen/ndeurope/articles/artmerkres.html

Last edited:

Forum List

Back