Coffee shop employees protesting business closure after they unionized

Burgermeister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2021
"I am pretty crushed, especially when it's such a blatant response to our union process." - No shit. They closed because they can't afford a union.

These shops were already operating at a loss, and paying decent wages plus health, dental, and vision benefits.

With tips, Alabiso said, employees made anywhere from $15 to $20 per hour, but tips were inconsistent based on the time of year. Most employees' base pay started around $9 or $10 hourly, she said. Her base pay was $13 – among the highest. Feibush said employees made $20 to $25 hourly including salary, tips and benefits.

"Personally, it's all been very shocking," Alabiso said. "I was not expecting this at all, I wasn't expecting for us to not even get into bargaining."

You were bargaining, and you lost. You forgot about the "walk away" option. How's that union treating you now?

"I am pretty crushed, especially when it's such a blatant response to our union process." - No shit. They closed because they can't afford a union.

These shops were already operating at a loss, and paying decent wages plus health, dental, and vision benefits.

With tips, Alabiso said, employees made anywhere from $15 to $20 per hour, but tips were inconsistent based on the time of year. Most employees' base pay started around $9 or $10 hourly, she said. Her base pay was $13 – among the highest. Feibush said employees made $20 to $25 hourly including salary, tips and benefits.

"Personally, it's all been very shocking," Alabiso said. "I was not expecting this at all, I wasn't expecting for us to not even get into bargaining."

You were bargaining, and you lost. You forgot about the "walk away" option. How's that union treating you now?

(UK) - I worked for an employer where I had to recruit, mentor, and manage anywhere from 7 to 24 staff depending on where I was based. When I left and went self employed, it was policy not to employ staff. The reasons being are -

1 - Staff costs. Their direct wages and government red tape increases staff costs

2 - Having 7 or 24 staff meant, 7 to 24 problems. Everyone comes with problems

3 - Despite economic trading conditions, you have to find their wage before yours

4 - Employment laws makes it difficult to get rid of dead wood and dead wood will often try the industrial tribunal route

So I simply sub contract work out, I never employ.

This coffee shop is a shining example of where staff are not interested in the owner and the business, and their actions has stripped them of a job. I suggest the coffee owner(s) start a fresh elsewhere, keep it to one shop and avoid employees if possible.

Last edited:

Don't worry. Trump will blame the Chinese and you'll believe him.

Protesting the closures ??? this craziness started in San Franpsycho when grocery stores were threatened to be fined if they closed and did not allow looting.

In the end, the actual minimum wage is always $0.00 per hour.

What are these morons protesting? To force the coffee shop to reopen?

Private sector unions can work and are a necessary part of the economic system.

Public sector unions are an anathema and should be banned.
Didn’t work well here, employees laid off and the business shut down. The union actually hurt everyone. Great work!

Didn’t work well here, employees laid off and the business shut down. The union actually hurt everyone. Great work!

It sure didn't, that doesn't mean private sector unions don't have a place in our economy.

This union probably made SJW type demands beyond calls for ridiculous compensation.

And nearly every MAGA dolt lines up to cheer that some employees lost their job.

Shame.

The reason Japanese unions are so successful is that they work hand in hand with management to ensure that a business is strong, healthy and sustainable.

U.S. unions too often just want as much as they can get however much that hurts the company that hurts and pays the workers,

I recall a manufacturing plant in Missouri I think it was in which the union made excessive demands. The owner brought in the union leaders and showed them his books and how their demands would put him in a deficit position that could not be sustained. They struck anyway. He close up shop and moved the plant to Arkansas. I smiled when I read it. :)

Forum List

Back