College Education In America Is A Giant Money Making Scam

Marty -

According to Newsweek, Japan ranks #9 in the world for education, and the US rans #11. Germany ranks a surprsingly low #12.

Interactive Infographic of the World's Best Countries - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

Thats basically within the margin of error in my opinion. Who cares if you are 9,11 or 12 as long as you arent in the 30-50+ catagory.

Yes, that's true.

But as I posted earlier on this thread, "American students score 23rd in math and 31st in science when compared with 65 other top industrial countries. In math, we are beaten by countries from Lichtenstein and Slovakia to the Netherlands and Singapore. In science, we are beaten by countries from New Zealand and Estonia to Finland and Hungary."

I am not sure how the US can rank #11 in one list, and 31st in another, but maybe it makes sense somehow!!

Or they may have better overall students than the US.

Well, that's true, I guess, but it seems a little strange to me that one generation of American's were amongst the best in the world, and the next generation is not.

Europe and Japan did have that pesky WWII thing happen that probably affected thier school systems for a few generations.

Prior to WWII (and the Nazis) the German education system from top to bottom was second to none when it came to the hard sciences.

Yea

But the education system got an F when it came to teaching about human rights

Much of College Education is a scam

You pay $100,000 for an education for a job that pays $30,000

But as previously noted, Americans are not that good at math

College used to be only for the top tier of students, now it is expected that everyone needs to have a degree. To be frank some of them have no real reason to be in higher education.

Trades still provide a good living, but we have made them out to be something substandard.

We need less art history/communication majors and more plumbers.

And produce dummies with college degrees. I bought a book from a man who said he taught high school English. I began reading it and started finding grammatical errors. But I kept finding more and more of them so I just decided not to tell him. It did make me wonder how he could become a teacher.

I have encountered plenty of people with college degrees who are really intellectually uninteresting. So we have created a labor system where you might as well not apply for some jobs if you don't have a degree, but any competent high school graduate from 1970 could do the job.

psik

American students score 23rd in math and 31st in science when compared with 65 other top industrial countries. In math, we are beaten by countries from Lichtenstein and Slovakia to the Netherlands and Singapore. In science, we are beaten by countries from New Zealand and Estonia to Finland and Hungary.

U.S lag in science, math a disaster in the making - CNN.com

Note that the countries which perform best also have state-funded education.

"We"? Who's "we," fishrot?

Thank you for this blog post. I think it's important for people to remember this when they are commenting.

LOL. Much truth in that. A millwright makes 50K to 100K a year. An electrician, 75K to 150K a year. Very few people realize that the crafts are very good paying careers, provided you are willing to do the physical work, in hostile environments, and have every day differant from the last.

When I finally retire, I will have SS, a pension from my company, and a bit from some small real estate holdings. If the efforts I am making now pan out, I can actually afford to be a Geologist. Won't have to depend on the science for support, might even get involved in some real research.

College used to be only for the top tier of students, now it is expected that everyone needs to have a degree. To be frank some of them have no real reason to be in higher education.

Trades still provide a good living, but we have made them out to be something substandard.

And produce dummies with college degrees. I bought a book from a man who said he taught high school English. I began reading it and started finding grammatical errors. But I kept finding more and more of them so I just decided not to tell him. It did make me wonder how he could become a teacher.

I have encountered plenty of people with college degrees who are really intellectually uninteresting. So we have created a labor system where you might as well not apply for some jobs if you don't have a degree, but any competent high school graduate from 1970 could do the job.

psik

And we cannot find competant craftsmen for jobs that pay from 50K to 150K a year. A lot of wrongheaded ideas about what kind of education get the money.

Yes we have a bunch of college educated people with 100k debt working in McDonalds and not enough farmers, bricklayers etc.....

It used to be that all you needed to enter the workforce was an eigth grade education. High School was considered top tier. Vocational Studies were handled through an apprenticeship. College was for the rich

Now, any mundane job requires a college degree and the market is flooded with graduates.

My favorite scam is the unpaid internship. Bring in 20 interns, work their asses off for the potential of a job and send 19 of them packing.

This is what happens when the government gets involved in private industry, just like the mortgage industry. A false demand sets in - and you have an ensuing bubble that creates a temporary financial oasis that crashes and burns 10-20 years later. Currently, we are about 2/3 through this phase in education.

It used to be that all you needed to enter the workforce was an eigth grade education. High School was considered top tier. Vocational Studies were handled through an apprenticeship. College was for the rich

Now, any mundane job requires a college degree and the market is flooded with graduates.

My favorite scam is the unpaid internship. Bring in 20 interns, work their asses off for the potential of a job and send 19 of them packing.

This is what happens when the government gets involved in private industry, just like the mortgage industry. A false demand sets in - and you have an ensuing bubble that creates a temporary financial oasis that crashes and burns 10-20 years later. Currently, we are about 2/3 through this phase in education.

The problem with the mortgage industry was that the government ceased to be involved, and the Glass-Steagal Act was repealed. Had that not happened, there would not have been the crash. And guess who pushed the repeal of the Glass-Steagal Act?

LOL. Much truth in that. A millwright makes 50K to 100K a year. An electrician, 75K to 150K a year. Very few people realize that the crafts are very good paying careers, provided you are willing to do the physical work, in hostile environments, and have every day differant from the last.

When I finally retire, I will have SS, a pension from my company, and a bit from some small real estate holdings. If the efforts I am making now pan out, I can actually afford to be a Geologist. Won't have to depend on the science for support, might even get involved in some real research.

Not ony that but you are earning money during the same 4-5 years your college educated counterpart is spending $100,000

Millwright can be a nasty job. Not everyone is cut out for it

Not ony that but you are earning money during the same 4-5 years your college educated counterpart is spending $100,000

Millwright can be a nasty job. Not everyone is cut out for it

I agree it can be rough work, but we are killing the pool of eligible people by making college a requirement instead of something only needed for certain professions and jobs.

There are trades that are less dangerous, drywalling, painting, etc. They do pay less but they still pay well, and there is always the opprotunity to start your own company if you have the drive for it.

29 Shocking Facts That Prove That

By Michael, on May 7th, 2013 @ 29 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education In America Is A Giant Money Making Scam

I know a lot of people are gonna try to debunk this and there isn't a lot I can do other than to point to the numerous links provided in the article. Here's an excerpt of a couple of claims.

-”After two years in college, 45% of students showed no significant gains in learning; after four years, 36% showed little change.”

-”Students also spent 50% less time studying compared with students a few decades ago”

-”35% of students report spending five or fewer hours per week studying alone.”

-”50% said they never took a class in a typical semester where they wrote more than 20 pages”

-”32% never took a course in a typical semester where they read more than 40 pages per week.”

Begin your students at community college. A superior GPA there will migrate into solid scholarship and other non-loan opportunities at superior state universities.

Use you head folks.

29 Shocking Facts That Prove That

By Michael, on May 7th, 2013 @ 29 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education In America Is A Giant Money Making Scam

I know a lot of people are gonna try to debunk this and there isn't a lot I can do other than to point to the numerous links provided in the article. Here's an excerpt of a couple of claims.

-”After two years in college, 45% of students showed no significant gains in learning; after four years, 36% showed little change.”

-”Students also spent 50% less time studying compared with students a few decades ago”

-”35% of students report spending five or fewer hours per week studying alone.”

-”50% said they never took a class in a typical semester where they wrote more than 20 pages”

-”32% never took a course in a typical semester where they read more than 40 pages per week.”

As an American, I will say my comrades are morons. I will also admit I am not good in Math even though I got interest in it and I am not bad in Science, but I probably could get outbeated by an non-American. But I took up learning on my own though while I was (and still am) in college. I buy books (more then I should with my poor state :D) on Military History, Business, Leadership and so on. Why? No one is going to teach it to you so teach yourself.

And I'm smarter then most kids that I know. Officaly speaking maybe not. I may only have a 2.5 GPA at my 4 year school, but half the kids I go to school with can't remember the crap they learn after a month.... I can and they got a higher GPA then me :clap2:. So I really don't care.

And it is OK to go to 2 year schools. I got a AS from one in 2012 and one in 2013 with a Certificate and working on my Bachelor's. My last semester last year I had a 3.25 GPA, it helps to go to a 2 year school.

The problem with the mortgage industry was that the government ceased to be involved, and the Glass-Steagal Act was repealed. Had that not happened, there would not have been the crash. And guess who pushed the repeal of the Glass-Steagal Act?

Seriously, are you really this blind?
Ever heard of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...have you?
Jesus Christ. :eusa_eh:

Tell me what isn't a giant money making scam.

Sadly publishing a not-for-profit illustrated book and translations website appears to fall into that category known as NOT giant money-making scam.

We stopped teaching basic core subjects in elementary school. Math was replace with sex ed. Science was replaced with sensitivity training. There is no way we can compete with other countries.

So you do agree that countries like Germany, France, Japan, New Zealand and Scandinavia have a better school system than the US?

Countries like Germany, France, Japan, New Zealand, as well as Scandinavian countries, do not have the complex social issues America has. It is just not that simple.

Math has not been replaced with sex ed. Science has not been replaced with sensitivity training. Those are stupid things to say; they are so stupid, they are not even effective as satire.

The situation is very complex. At least compare the US with other countries, if you can find one, with as large and diverse a population and with the complex social issues involved. Schools in America must divert large, and I mean large, amounts of attention to dealing with those issues rather than focusing on education.

Seriously, are you really this blind?
Ever heard of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...have you?
Because Glass-Steagal was repealed. That, then FM. OK?

In 1930, only 25% of Americans graduated from high school. College was for "the leaders of tomorrow" (and the children of wealthy people). The idea that college continues to be for tomorrow's leaders is a sick joke. Any moron can find a college that will accept them, and if they are applying to a private college and indicate they will not be applying for financial aid, they will send a limo for you.

The student loan scandal is largely the FAULT of stupid, indulgent parents who, rather than guiding their children to something that makes rational sense, want to cater to the whining of their little darlings, go into debt themselves, and stand and watch while their kids assume financial obligations that would choke a horse.

You can't expect an 18-year-old to even comprehend the magnitude of a $100 thousand debt. How could they possibly understand that it must be paid off with after-tax dollars, out of discretionary income, WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER HAD TO MAKE A RENT PAYMENT OR A CAR PAYMENT OR PAY A UTILITY BILL? It's up the parents to convey this vital message about financial reality.

I financed my college education (and law school) with personal savings, the GI bill, employer assistance, one small grant, and a couple small, short-term loans that were paid off before I graduated. No Fraternities, no dorms, no "keggers." I couldn't do that today because the costs have escalated beyond reason, but the principles are the same: Get the best education possible for the amount that you can afford. I am astounded when I hear friends and neighbors talking about sending their little idiots to private colleges for 4-5 years of studying some bullshit subject, e.g., "Communications," and get a job in "public relations."

Idiots.

Forum List

Back