College players taking money

konradv

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2010
Baltimore adjacent
Arian Foster is coming clean about taking extras in violation of NCAA rules while at TN. IMO, as long as the NCAA is a de facto monopoly, I don't see why players shouldn't get something more than an education, room & board for their efforts. If the sport is baseball or hockey, players have an option to stay amateur or go pro, but in basketball or football there are no options. Football players run a high risk of injury for a low chance of success, while the institutions for which they play often rake in millions. Some will say the education is enough, but firstly a college degree isn't required to become pro athlete and many of those who go, don't belong there in the first place. Like I said, they go because they have no choice.

Arian Foster Says He Took Money While Playing at Tennessee | Bleacher Report

The relevant question is not, whether it is a good idea to require players to play Big Time college sports with no monetary compensation. That question has already been decided.

The relevant question is whether these guys knowingly broke the rules.

See my thread in the Education forum.

All American inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1981. Hugh McElhenny who went to the U of Wash and on to greatness in the NFL and on to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1970, had a very famous quote by Eddie Albert the went.....When Albert introduced McElhenny to his new 49ers teammates for the first time he said, "I'd like you to meet a
man who took a cut in pay to become a professional."

Forum List

Back