Colorado baker told to bake that cake

Shush, the grownups are talking.

Or kind of reasonable. They protect people from discrimination based on gender, race, national origin, religion, disability or sexual orientation.

True, as a white, able-bodied, cis-gendered, straight, male, I don't need protections from discrimination, but I can see where protecting everyone else is a good idea.

Not really. In fact, the reconstruction amendments were specifically designed to protect the rights of black people.

Why do you have to point out your sexuality Joe. Someone confident in his/her identity would never do so……,

Or so I’ve read on this site. 😬

It is basically a question of whether an independent business is a conscript of the state or not.

Custom cake making is the question at hand even if religion is part of the equation.

Forcing a business to make anything is conscription.

It is basically a question of whether an independent business is a conscript of the state or not.

Custom cake making is the question at hand even if religion is part of the equation.

Forcing a business to make anything is conscription.

It's baking a cake which they already make. The idea is they can't discriminate. The person they discriminated against pay taxes for the services the business operates under. They pay for the police protection. They pay for the fire protection. They pay for the roads and sidewalks to the business.

Why the hate?

It's baking a cake which they already make. The idea is they can't discriminate. The person they discriminated against pay taxes for the services the business operates under. They pay for the police protection. They pay for the fire protection. They pay for the roads and sidewalks to the business.

Why the hate?

As does the Baker, plus even more expenses.

Why the hate?

Why the hate?
I understand the arguments...

But as a former bakery owner I can say that the reputation of his entire business is at stake here. People buy from him because of his relationship with the customers, his style of decorating, and his reputation.

And basically the state is telling him that they want to flush all of those things down the toilet....that his business is actually theirs despite having no personal financing or investment in his shop.

Small business like these pay collectively more in taxes than anyone else....

Even if it's Thanksgiving, a bakery is not required to bake pumpkin pies no matter how foolish or prejudiced that decision might be. And having the state force them to create a menu of the state's choosing is the very definition of conscription.

Who in their right mind wants a custom made cake baked under duress?

Thus man's business was targeted...pure and simple. And independent bakeries are pig headed and stubborn people to start with. (I'm one that is that very much in alignment)
Nobody tells me what I will or won't make in my bakery. I will have the final say in the matter even if I have to do time.

I don't hate. I'm trying to understand the hate.

Aren’t we all?

The most hate has been expressed by Joe though, who fails to understand that, even though straight people didn’t want the right to marry others of the same sex, the LBGTQ forced it on us. But now we have a financial planning tool no one ever thought of before.

I understand the arguments...

But as a former bakery owner I can say that the reputation of his entire business is at stake here. People buy from him because of his relationship with the customers, his style of decorating, and his reputation.

And basically the state is telling him that they want to flush all of those things down the toilet....that his business is actually theirs despite having no personal financing or investment in his shop.

Small business like these pay collectively more in taxes than anyone else....

Even if it's Thanksgiving, a bakery is not required to bake pumpkin pies no matter how foolish or prejudiced that decision might be. And having the state force them to create a menu of the state's choosing is the very definition of conscription.

Who in their right mind wants a custom made cake baked under duress?

Thus man's business was targeted...pure and simple. And independent bakeries are pig headed and stubborn people to start with. (I'm one that is that very much in alignment)
Nobody tells me what I will or won't make in my bakery. I will have the final say in the matter even if I have to do time.

Baking a pink cake with blue frosting is going to ruin his entire reputation as a baker?

Seriously?

After all is said and done, I would never force some one in the food business to make something against his will. He might spit in the food or worse.

Forum List

Back