Colorado votes NO to gay marriage

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/us/colorado-rejects-same-sex-civil-unions.html?_r=2&hp

Yet another state to reject gay marriage. And Colorado of all places.

This was a huge fuck up for Team Obama. Most Americans do not support gay marriage. I dont care about the issue, but I DO CARE about defeating Obama. And this topic may have pushed the snowball over the slope that will accumulate enough momentum to grow on itself and kick him out of Washington. Yay!

Five committee members defeated it.

But I like how to you, it's more about defeating Obama than anything else.

Personally, I am in favor of "gay marriage". It is a Libertarian issue for me and I do not condone government discrimination against any group. It seems to me that most people don't have a problem with gays getting the same rights that married people enjoy- they object to the use of the word "marriage". Marriage is a concept that has long been "one man and one woman" (except in a few polygamist societies). Maybe the path of least resistance for gays is to take the "civil union" route, whereby states can grant gay couples the EXACT same rights as married couples, they simply call it something else. Seems like a minor compromise that would accomplish the objective...

I could live with that and I can't stand being around those degenerates.
I think most people are willing to compromise even if they do not approve of homosexuality....well, unless you are gay. Gays are determined to call their unions "marriage" even though they do not meet the definition. It's like black people demanding to be called "white". It's silly. If I were gay I'd focus on getting the legal rights first, and worry about what it's called later......

I agree 100%. The word "marriage" has been inbred into us for centuries to mean a union between a man and woman. Nothing else. Husband is male--Wife is female. For the gay community to insist on using the word "marriage" for a union between same sex couples only means they have a couple of hundred year battle on their hands over this issue. They weren't happy with civil unions--it had to be marriage. Why they thought they could rewrite 100's of years of history and culture without a major battle is beyond me.

32 states now have rejected gay marriage.

blacks = bigots but at least blacks dont vote in the white racist and bigot republicans
whites conservatives are bigot and racist

Colorado already passed a referendum in 2006 granting same sex couples ALL of the benefits of marriage. So called "same sex marriage acts" are a direct assault on religious institutions. It is a bogus back door attack on freedom of religion.

I think most people are willing to compromise even if they do not approve of homosexuality....well, unless you are gay. Gays are determined to call their unions "marriage" even though they do not meet the definition. It's like black people demanding to be called "white". It's silly. If I were gay I'd focus on getting the legal rights first, and worry about what it's called later......

I agree 100%. The word "marriage" has been inbred into us for centuries to mean a union between a man and woman. Nothing else. Husband is male--Wife is female. For the gay community to insist on using the word "marriage" for a union between same sex couples only means they have a couple of hundred year battle on their hands over this issue. They weren't happy with civil unions--it had to be marriage. Why they thought they could rewrite 100's of years of history and culture without a major battle is beyond me.

Well, in some places....yes....:eusa_whistle:

One could say much of the same thing about interracial marriage and even slavery. Because something has been accepted by society and has become part of our laws, it doesn't make it right. Although it may take a number of years, individual freedoms will trump bigotry and prejudices.

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/us/colorado-rejects-same-sex-civil-unions.html?_r=2&hp

This was a huge fuck up for Team Obama. Most Americans do not support gay marriage. I dont care about the issue, but I DO CARE about defeating Obama. And this topic may have pushed the snowball over the slope that will accumulate enough momentum to grow on itself and kick him out of Washington. Yay!

It was about civil unions, not gay marriage. If and when you seem unable (or unwilling) to get the facts of a story correct, all it serves to do is hurt any future credibility you might hope to have.

According to the gay representative "most" Coloradoans (right term?) want it.

But a majority voted those folks in. And those folks "represent" the people. ANd they voted no to it.
The people did not vote. The legislature did not vote. The bill was killed in the State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee by the GOP. The vote was 5 -4 along party lines, the GOP doing what they does best, denying freedom of choice.

And happy human rights are defeated. The gauleiters have found a new 'group' to ban together against.

One could say much the same thing about interracial marriage and even slavery. Because something has been accepted by society may make it part of our laws, but it doesn't make it right.

Once could say that, but it would not be a correct analogy. This is about changing the definition of marriage, not about civil rights.

Well, in some places....yes....:eusa_whistle:

The word "inbred" does come to mind when reading that many are so....................ODD about the marriages of other Americans.

One could say much the same thing about interracial marriage and even slavery. Because something has been accepted by society may make it part of our laws, but it doesn't make it right.

The same arguments were made in defending anti miscegenation laws actually.

What's the difference?

Colorado already passed a referendum in 2006 granting same sex couples ALL of the benefits of marriage. So called "same sex marriage acts" are a direct assault on religious institutions. It is a bogus back door attack on freedom of religion.

No dear, this has nothing to do with religion.

This has to do with government and benefits.

You're still free to practice your religion.

No dear, this has nothing to do with religion.

This has to do with government and benefits.

You're still free to practice your religion.
Thank God, we haven't become a theocracy yet.

Not quite

GOP leaders funneled the proposal to the House State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, which is known as a "kill committee" because its members are in safe seats and are unlikely to face political consequences for preventing a bill from reaching the floor. The panel lived up to its billing, voting to kill it 5-4 along party lines.

“We saw this bill die even though a majority of members of the Senate and a majority of members of the House and the governor, as well as a vast majority of Coloradans, want to see this become law,” said Representative Mark Ferrandino of Denver, one of four openly gay state legislators and a sponsor of the bill. “It is very unfortunate. Families across Colorado are going to have to wait longer for equal rights in our state.”

Colorado same-sex union bill killed in special legislative session

Apparently you didn't read the article because it noted that 6 years ago Coloradans voted in favor of a referendum that defined marriage as a union between a man and woman. Obviously, they don't support gay marriage.

Forum List

Back