Coming to pick up the kids? Let me see your ID! No, Great...RESISTING ARREST!

You didnt say WHY someone needs to show an ID when they are picking up kids from the pool and how that is grounds for arrest.

You're just saying "She shoulda" and never asked why
What fucking difference does it make?.....Apparently it is the policy of whomever operates the pool. And most likely ( day care centers and schools do this as well) for the safety of children.
it's very simple. Just cooperate with the cop and go about your business. Each of you have a job to do. His is protect and serve. Yours is to go about your business....

Why has nothing to do with it. Ask why in court. Confronting cops gets you killed. Teach your children that.

yeah well, when someone is accused of wrong doing and the potential for arrest they kinda want to know why. You not having a reason shows there isnt one. Rights and stuff, yanno
The police are not required to explain anything to you until after they have completed their investigation. Collecting information such as the ID of the actor(s) is part of said investigation.
Collecting ID is basic police procedure.
A person can be 'detained' ( hand cuffed) but not arrested. Especially if there is reasonable suspicion of illegal contraband, flight or a weapon. Also the police have a right to detain those who are suspected to have an outstanding warrant or are on parole or probation. Persons of interest in criminal investigations are also eligible to be 'detained'.....And finally, if the police are awaiting a warrant to be delivered, a person may be detained until that warrant is available to be hand delivered.

Interactions with police can be smooth and cordial, or acrimonious and hostile.

When street-camping in Santa Cruz one summer (wasn't homeless, had a home, just wasn't there for a while heh,) I was resting on some sort of metal cabinent with electrical utilities or something on a sidewalk early in the evening. Noticed a police car rolling slowly up the road some ways away shining his search light into the dark. Figuring he was looking for someone I stayed put. When he got to me he stopped and got out and I greeted him pleasant as can-be, "Hi! Who ya looking for?" to which he replied, "You." Flattered I responded, "Me? Well here I am." smiling. Asked my business to which I replied just resting a bit after walking around all day. Which was true. And he asked for my identification which I had. Ran the checks and whatever they do with it then gave it back. Then said someone called about someone loitering and I should get on my way to which I said ok. Then he left.

Instead of giving the officer lip or making a federal case out of it asserting my right to sit where I bloody want (which I do,) I complied and avoided a bad scene. Whole thing last maybe 2 mins.

I gotta think this situation at the pools could have been avoided by simply helping make an officer's day go as smoothly as possible without being a total dick. When you begin getting mouthy or saying "no" to an officer, they're thinking "disorderly conduct." And that's gonna be what results in your being placed in handcuffs 90% of the time.

Knowing is half the battle. :)

If a school yard bully demands your lunch money, just giving it to him will reduce your chances of having your butt kicked too. That doesn't mean the bully has the right to kick your butt if you don't give it to him.

Why has nothing to do with it. Ask why in court. Confronting cops gets you killed. Teach your children that.

yeah well, when someone is accused of wrong doing and the potential for arrest they kinda want to know why. You not having a reason shows there isnt one. Rights and stuff, yanno
The police are not required to explain anything to you until after they have completed their investigation. Collecting information such as the ID of the actor(s) is part of said investigation.
A person can be 'detained' ( hand cuffed) but not arrested. Especially if there is reasonable suspicion of illegal contraband, flight or a weapon. Also the police have a right to detain those who are suspected to have an outstanding warrant or are on parole or probation. Persons of interest in criminal investigations are also eligible to be 'detained'.....And finally, if the police are awaiting a warrant to be delivered, a person may be detained until that warrant is available to be hand delivered.

Additionally the police can detain even witnesses, by placing them in handcuffs if they feel it necessary.

When street-camping in Santa Cruz one summer (wasn't homeless, had a home, just wasn't there for a while heh,) I was resting on some sort of metal cabinent with electrical utilities or something on a sidewalk early in the evening. Noticed a police car rolling slowly up the road some ways away shining his search light into the dark. Figuring he was looking for someone I stayed put. When he got to me he stopped and got out and I greeted him pleasant as can-be, "Hi! Who ya looking for?" to which he replied, "You." Flattered I responded, "Me? Well here I am." smiling. Asked my business to which I replied just resting a bit after walking around all day. Which was true. And he asked for my identification which I had. Ran the checks and whatever they do with it then gave it back. Then said someone called about someone loitering and I should get on my way to which I said ok. Then he left.

Instead of giving the officer lip or making a federal case out of it asserting my right to sit where I bloody want (which I do,) I complied and avoided a bad scene. Whole thing last maybe 2 mins.

I gotta think this situation at the pools could have been avoided by simply helping make an officer's day go as smoothly as possible without being a total dick. When you begin getting mouthy or saying "no" to an officer, they're thinking "disorderly conduct." And that's gonna be what results in your being placed in handcuffs 90% of the time.

If a school yard bully demands your lunch money, just giving it to him will reduce your chances of having your butt kicked too. That doesn't mean the bully has the right to kick your butt if you don't give it to him.

Completely invalid comparison since the police DID have a right to ask this woman for ID

"Fairfield Police Chief Mike Dickey claims his officers didn’t use excessive force. He also says the mother started the fracas when she allegedly told one of the children to grab her stun gun after she refused to show her identification card to officers.

“I think the videos, including their videos, tell a different story. It’s clear to me in the videos they were non-compliant,” Dickey said. “I think when anybody is attacking a police officer, whether it’s a gun attack or a physical attack or a knife attack, these officers are obligated to defend themselves. Had she provided her identification much the same as the thousands of arrests and citations are made around the country, it would have ended right there.”"

Too right. Officer makes a simple request, comply or it's your ass.
She be black. Telling the kids to grab her stun gun is what black mamas are supposed to do.

The cop not only behaved appropriately but used a lot of restraint.

So now instead of being in danger the cop just says the victim was ABOUT TO do something and thats the new thing. LOL.

If you were a cop...and the person said they were going to retrieve a weapon....would you let them get it?

I cant believe how retarded you have become.

No, but that lady did nothing FIRST, and the COP approached her FIRST for no reason.

No weapon was there, no weapon was retrieved and the only thing you have is the cop said it so it must be true.

But if we look at it, again, no weapon, no weapon retrieved and no threat to the officer.

Hell, they didnt even charge her with threatening a police officer, kinda weird since thats what he's alleging.
Back to that?....No. you don't get to make your argument by bouncing all over the place.
The cop was performing his legal sworn duties in a manner pursuant to proper police procedure. She became combative. End of story.
"Why?" Does not matter.

Sooner or later, one way or another, you're going to learn that disrespecting cops and teaching your children to disrespect them, puts you and your children in danger. The cops are in a position of authority for a reason. You are not, for a reason.

There was no disrespect by her or the kids, sorry
You have a problem, son, and your way is not going to end it well for you. 'Why' at that point has nothing to do with it. Ask and follow up on 'why' after the fact.

Additionally the police can detain even witnesses, by placing them in handcuffs if they feel it necessary.
Correct. Forgot that one....But that is probably rarely done because cuffing someone rarely makes a witness not hostile.

You are not the one at that moment who has the authority to decide that.

Correct. Forgot that one....But that is probably rarely done because cuffing someone rarely makes a witness not hostile.

Normally , when a witness ends up in cuffs it's because the cops just put EVERYONE in cuffs while they try to figure things out.

In fact I maintain today that Wilson's error in not placing those boys in cuffs led directly to Brown's death.

Completely invalid comparison since the police DID have a right to ask this woman for ID

For walking in to get her kids? Why exactly was she required to show the ID? If that was an issue, the cop would have had to have a valid reason to request it.

STTAB, just how was that going to happen when Mr Brown would not obey Officer Wilson even at gun point.

I would have shot Brown if he attacks me, because a cop has no moral or legal duty to take a beating from an enraged citizen.

How would you have accomplished that?

For walking in to get her kids? Why exactly was she required to show the ID? If that was an issue, the cop would have had to have a valid reason to request it.

Why can't you have an honest debate? Seriously

Read about the case and it is clear. The police were going to write her a citation and asked her for her ID and she REFUSED.

That's a matter of record.

And when the police writet a citation, they have a right to ask you for ID, as opposed to merely asking you to identify yourself.

Last edited:

Read about the case and it is clear. The police were going to write her a citation and asked her for her ID and she REFUSED.

And when the police right a citation, they have a right to ask you for ID, as opposed to merely asking you to identify yourself.
Where did she have a "right" to not cooperate? STTAB is right on this, clearly

STTAB, just how was that going to happen when Mr Brown would not obey Officer Wilson even at gun point.

I would have shot Brown if he attacks me, because a cop has no moral or legal duty to take a beating from an enraged citizen.

Jake, as I said at the time, Wilson made tactical errors.

He should have stopped 50 feet from the two men, not pulled right up next to them.

Then he should approached them up to 25 feet (effective range of pistol in high pressure situations) and ordered the two to the ground 10 feet apart from each other , ankles crossed and hands behind their backs.

He then could have handcuffed the suspects one at a time , taking control of them before they got any ideas of resisting.

Now, of course if he had to shoot one of them under those circumstances, tough shit for them.

I'm not saying anyone but Brown is responsible for his own death, I"m just saying Wilson made some tactical errors.

He should have stopped 50 feet from the two men, not pulled right up next to them.

Then he should approached them up to 25 feet (effective range of pistol in high pressure situations) and ordered the two to the ground 10 feet apart from each other , ankles crossed and hands behind their backs.

He then could have handcuffed the suspects one at a time , taking control of them before they got any ideas of resisting.

Now, of course if he had to shoot one of them under those circumstances, tough shit for them.

I'm not saying anyone but Brown is responsible for his own death, I"m just saying Wilson made some tactical errors.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, Brown was his own executioner. I don't think the boy would have obeyed him. They would have taken off running in different directions, I think. But that would have allowed some time for more cops to get involved. They knew who they were looking for and would have found them sooner than later.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, Brown was his own executioner. I don't think the boy would have obeyed him. They would have taken off running in different directions, I think. But that would have allowed some time for more cops to get involved. They knew who they were looking for and would have found them sooner than later.
It may not have made a difference but it's proven that the longer you give people to decide to resist or not the more likely they are to resist.

People who have never worn a badge, don't understand that although it may look cruel or something, going in hard and taking control immediately saves lives in the long run. Yes once in awhile someone who is truly innocent gets hurt, but you have to balance the individual instances with the whole, and it's a proven fact, criminals take advantage when they perceive a LEO is weak.

Now clearly there is a difference between going in hard and taking control, and violating someone's rights.

Most civilians just don't understand that difference. Let's take the 12 year old in this video, many on this thread think the cops were too rough with her, wrong, they were too gentle, the moment she laid a hand on a LEO she should have been on the ground with a knee in her back being cuffed, then she doesn't end up with a broken jaw because she wasn't given enough time to resist long enough to get a broken jaw.

And when the police writet a citation, they have a right to ask you for ID, as opposed to merely asking you to identify yourself.

Sorry, but I went back and rewatch the video, and reread the link. They didn't say anything about any citation she was receiving. Obviously, she would have to produce an ID for that. What exactly were the citing her for, other than not showing ID?

You didnt say WHY someone needs to show an ID when they are picking up kids from the pool and how that is grounds for arrest.

You're just saying "She shoulda" and never asked why

Did you even READ about this story stupid? The police were going to write her a citation and let her go, so yes they asked for ID so they could write a citation and she REFUSED. That is grounds for arrest.

A citation for what?

Sorry, but I went back and rewatch the video, and reread the link. They didn't say anything about any citation she was receiving. Obviously, she would have to produce an ID for that. What exactly were the citing her for, other than not showing ID?

The article wasn't clear on that, My guess, since the kids refused to leave when told to and the cops had to be called is that she was being given a no trespass citation. Which is normally just a "don't come here again, or next time you go to jail" it isnt even a fine, it's just a record for the police department that you have been told that you aren't wanted.

But the article DOES say that they were trying to write her a citation.

Forum List

Back