🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Common Sense on George Carlin.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Here's a good example of why it's ignorant to get your political talking points from comedians:

What's wrong with this Carlin quote?

"Think about how dumb the Average American is, now realize that half of Americans are dumber than that!"~George Carlin

It's a mildly amusing statement, but it is false in every important respect. If he actually cared about the truth and the facts, he wouldn't have said that. But it isn't his job to tell the truth and to tell us facts, it's his job to make us laugh.

Same with Bill Maher, Steven Colbert, John Stewart, and on and on.

One does not have to study history or political science, and in fact one doesn't even have to graduate High School to be a comedian. You want to quote comedians to make a point? Well sit back while we all point and laugh at your dumb ass.

Here's a good example of why it's ignorant to get your political talking points from comedians:

"Think about how dumb the Average American is, now realize that half of Americans are dumber than that!"~George Carlin

It's a mildly amusing statement, but it is false in every important respect. If he actually cared about the truth and the facts, he wouldn't have said that. But it isn't his job to tell the truth and to tell us facts, it's his job to make us laugh.

One does not have to study history or political science, and in fact one doesn't even have to graduate High School to be a comedian. You want to quote comedians to make a point? Well sit back while we all point and laugh at your dumb ass.

Not a PROB!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVLJKR6g7U]George Carlin Religion is bullshit - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTyeBQXk8V4]George Carlin - Abortion - YouTube[/ame]​

That statement couldn't be any truer. Look at this site for proof.

Are you joking or do you believe that the statement is true?

George Carlin was the best at tearing the left/right and anyone else a new asshole. and if your upset with one of his classic rants and refuse to ponder about what he said. then he was right.

George Carlin was the best at tearing the left/right and anyone else a new asshole. and if your upset with one of his classic rants and refuse to ponder about what he said. then he was right.

You're new so I don't know you but you aren't making a good first impression.

His quote, while mildly amusing is about as wrong as can be. The fact that you can't see it doesn't say much for your general intelligence.

Does NOBODY know what is wrong with his statement?

His quote, while mildly amusing is about as wrong as can be. The fact that you can't see it doesn't say much for your general intelligence.

I have been here on and off for a few years ghost reading once in a while. this pro is a year old, started to post because got bored of my old hang out. not here to make friends. I could give a rats ass about that. I watched and listen to a bunch of George again your a cry baby if he offeneded you.. btw no offense. Lmao.....

I have been here on and off for a few years ghost reading once in a while. this pro is a year old, started to post because got bored of my old hang out. not here to make friends. I could give a rats ass about that. I watched and listen to a bunch of George again your a cry baby if he offeneded you.. btw no offense. Lmao.....

Where in any of my posts do you get that he offends me? I'm merely pointing out that comedians aren't a good source of political talking points or opinions. I'm not offended by it because I'm smart enough to know why it's wrong and since it seems like I'm the only one who does, I must be way above average.

Do you know whay his statement is wrong?

and lets look at the quote "Think about how dumb the Average American is, now
realize that half of Americans are dumber than
that!"~George Carlin in my 47 years born and raised in the good old USA. it is dead on accurate. if you say otherwise you are a fool. and all I am is just a industrial plastic maitenance man.......we are lazy and fricking retatrded due to the lberal school system. hell I graduated from high school and 4 years of tech school and I cant even spell or use proper grammer correctly. but it dont matter they pay me to fix machines not how to spell.

are you including yourself in that statement?....

Where in any of my posts do you get that he offends me? I'm merely pointing out that comedians aren't a good source of political talking points or opinions. I'm not offended by it because I'm smart enough to know why it's wrong and since it seems like I'm the only one who does, I must be way above average.

if your so above average the why are you wasting your time here? shouldnt you be inventing time travel or a way to defy gravity? or something. hell I admit who I am..

that!"~George Carlin in my 47 years born and raised in the good old USA. it is dead on accurate. if you say otherwise you are a fool. and all I am is just a industrial plastic maitenance man.......we are lazy and fricking retatrded due to the lberal school system. hell I graduated from high school and 4 years of tech school and I cant even spell or use proper grammer correctly. but it dont matter they pay me to fix machines not how to spell.

There is nothing accurate about it. It's a play on words and mildly amusing. Do you know what a Bell Curve is? That's a hint.

My advice to you is not to quote a comedian as political fodder against your opponents. Not saying that you have, but just friendly advice.

if your so above average the why are you wasting your time here? shouldnt you be inventing time travel or a way to defy gravity? or something. hell I admit who I am..

The entertainment value, plus, and I'm being totally honest here, this is one of the best news sources on the internet. When something of importance comes up, I can almost instantly get the opinions of both sides and I can get links to info about the news item. This site is more fair and balanced than FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN or just about any new source.

There is nothing accurate about it. It's a play on words and mildly amusing. Do you know what a Bell Curve is? That's a hint.

My advice to you is not to quote a comedian as political fodder against your opponents. Not saying that you have, but just friendly advice.

funny you should say that I know what a bell curve is. I went to one of mr. demming's seminars back in the 80's and read all his books. he was my idol.

Ok, going to log off so here's the answer:

The reason Carlin's statement is false is twofold. One, because the "Average American" is average because the majority of Americans are about that level of intelligence. That's why it's called an average. I doubt that there are any studies at all that Carlin looked up to come up with that statement but he doesn't have to. It's just a joke. But if we did the study the vast majority of Americans would be "Average. Not half. The amount of people who fall statistically significatly below or above the "average" are very small.

The entertainment value, plus, and I'm being totally honest here, this is one of the best news sources on the internet. When something of importance comes up, I can almost instantly get the opinions of both sides and I can get links to info about the news item. This site is more fair and balanced than FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN or just about any new source.

I would have to differ my friend, the best way to understand news and opinions from minoritys left and right would be moco space. {again mods dont kick me off and am bored of them anyways} this site has become more my style, yet vanilla and mostly polite.

Are you joking or do you believe that the statement is true?

Of course it's true.

Ok, going to log off so here's the answer:

The reason Carlin's statement is false is twofold. One, because the "Average American" is average because the majority of Americans are about that level of intelligence. That's why it's called an average. I doubt that there are any studies at all that Carlin looked up to come up with that statement but he doesn't have to. It's just a joke. But if we did the study the vast majority of Americans would be "Average. Not half. The amount of people who fall statistically significatly below or above the "average" are very small.

I'm going to go out on a limb here....You didn't major in statistics, did you?

Forum List

Back