Con Law Question for Libs

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Honestly, is there ANYTHING that Congress might consider a "good idea" that Congress would be prevented from doing by the Constitution?

In other words, does the Constitution place any constraints at all on Congress?

If so, how are those constraints defined? Be specific.

I would like a general answer, but for example, Would Congress be permitted by the Constitution to implement "single payer," mandatory, universal health insurance? Why or why not?

Honestly.

Congress is tasked to do what needs to be done

The voters will decide if they are doing it correctly

Specifically? Well, the one that jumps to the top of my mind is the First Amendment.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The bolded text is pretty clear.

Wait...did you only want libs to answer? Because you might have waited a long time before you found one who knows the Constitution and admits it.

Specifically? Well, the one that jumps to the top of my mind is the First Amendment.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Are you trying to make a point or just cutting and pasting for fun?

This is why America has so many problems.

Why would that cause problems?

You have issues with helping Americans?

Because Americans aren't familiar with the Constitution. If it was followed like it was intended and enforced by a voting populace who actually were familiar with the problems of the government, we would never have gotten in this mess.

When the Constitution takes a backseat in the education system to everything else, you end up with a mass of youth who aren't aware the system that their ancestors gave their lives to create is slowly falling apart.

A point. And it's not like I selectively quoted it, as that is the First in its entirety.

Because Americans aren't familiar with the Constitution. If it was followed like it was intended and enforced by a voting populace who actually were familiar with the problems of the government, we would never have gotten in this mess.

When the Constitution takes a backseat in the education system to everything else, you end up with a mass of youth who aren't aware the system that their ancestors gave their lives to create is slowly falling apart.

Actually, you are wrong.

It is the TeaTards and Libertarians who are unfamiliar with the Constitution and the role our legal system and resulting case law play in its execution

Burying yourself in an 18th century mindset is not the answer

That's not your call. It's the USSC's job. Congress may enact anything it wants. It's up to those who oppose certain measures to take them to the court and let it make the decision. That's what "checks and balances" means.

A point. And it's not like I selectively quoted it, as that is the First in its entirety.

Is your point that the Constitution has a First Amendment?

Good job!

Actually, you are wrong.

It is the TeaTards and Libertarians who are unfamiliar with the Constitution and the role our legal system and resulting case law play in its execution

Really? Are you seriously trying to tell me that liberals are more familiar with the Constitution than the right?

Actually, you are wrong.

Really? Are you seriously trying to tell me that liberals are more familiar with the Constitution than the right?

Liberals wrote the Constitution

Actually, you are wrong.

You didn't answer my question. Are you suggesting liberals today are more familiar with the Constitution than the right?

Honestly, is there ANYTHING that Congress might consider a "good idea" that Congress would be prevented from doing by the Constitution?

In other words, does the Constitution place any constraints at all on Congress?

If so, how are those constraints defined? Be specific.

I would like a general answer, but for example, Would Congress be permitted by the Constitution to implement "single payer," mandatory, universal health insurance? Why or why not?

Honestly.

Congress has already done this twice before. So if it was a "good idea" 200 years for sailors and then a couple of decades ago a "good idea" for seniors why has it suddenly become a "bad idea"?

You didn't answer my question. Are you suggesting liberals today are more familiar with the Constitution than the right?

Without question

Anyone who advocates an 18th century literal interpretation of our Constitution does not understand our nation or its laws

Conservative understanding of our Constitution is limited to the Second Amendment.....and they only understand half of that

Last edited:

Actually, you are wrong.

Without a doubt. Rightists often speak of a Constitutional principle that doesn't exist, i.e. "original intent". The principle supposes that all the framers of the Constitution had the same intent, a notion that's false on the face of it. The Constitution WAS meant to be a living document and until conservatives realize that they'll be constantly whining about "activist" judges when the real truth is that they have a basic misunderstanding of the document.

Please substantiate your allegation that the Constitution is not being followed and enforced as intended.

Forum List

Back