Concrete makers look to import coal ash

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Interesting turn of events. US producers of fly ash apparently can't supply the demand of the concrete business. Fly ash is also used in wall board production. So now the US will be importing other counties waste. Amazing consequence.

Concrete makers look to import coal ash

See the irony? Well, I guess you would, had you read the article...

first line..

As Duke Energy ships coal ash across the Piedmont to dump it in a former clay mine, Charlotte’s largest concrete company is negotiating to buy ash in Asia.

Read more here: Concrete makers look to import coal ash

So, it not a problem of US not producing ash, it's networking ash available...

first line..

As Duke Energy ships coal ash across the Piedmont to dump it in a former clay mine, Charlotte’s largest concrete company is negotiating to buy ash in Asia.

And you apparently didn't read beyond that first line, to get a grasp of the problem. The fly ash that Duke energy produces, because of the EPA requirements, is unfit for use in concrete. Concrete makers can't use the Ash that Duke produces BECAUSE of EPA regulations. Thus the only solution is to bury it in the ground.

Further, because the amount of usable fly ash is reduced as Duke and other companies shut down coal power plants, the result is that concrete makers have to import fly ash from outside the country.

If you are going to read the article, read the whole thing.

first line..

And you apparently didn't read beyond that first line, to get a grasp of the problem. The fly ash that Duke energy produces, because of the EPA requirements, is unfit for use in concrete. Concrete makers can't use the Ash that Duke produces BECAUSE of EPA regulations. Thus the only solution is to bury it in the ground.

Further, because the amount of usable fly ash is reduced as Duke and other companies shut down coal power plants, the result is that concrete makers have to import fly ash from outside the country.

Then get the EPA to change it's regs..just takes a lawsuit..

first line..

Are you kidding? Have you seen what happens to any company the attempts to change policy? They would be smeared in the media, vilified across the country. Protests and marches would happen.

Not chance. No, you just get to be screwed is all. The company will pay a higher fee for fly ash, which will be passed on to consumers, namely you, in the higher price of goods and services.

Then you'll b!tch about the cost of living, and how wages haven't kept up with inflation, and all while the rich companies laugh in your face, taking your money to the bank. And the only one to blame... is yourself.

That's how it works buddy. I'm not going to screw over my reputation and my company, for your sake. Not a chance. I'll just charge you more... and you can cry about people in the 50s had a better middle class. Your fault, not mine.

first line..

The EPA only in it for the money and political power... Lol

Forum List

Back