Congress cannot give obama authority to start war with syria

obama isn't looking for a declaration of war. He only wants to go in for a limited strike. Congress can authorize a one time use of force that falls short of outright war.

HAHAHAHA. And how many legs does a mule have if you call it's tail a leg.?

The Congress and the President have the authority to strike Syria.

If Congress authorizes the President to strike Syria, he can do so. And since the Speaker is on board it wouldnt surprise me if the President is given that authorization despite the public opposition to it.

SS is having his fun on the Boards today.

HAHAHA. You think dealing with morons and insects like you is fun??

If you really think everyone here is a moron or insect, you're free to leave. No one is forcing you to start ridiculous threads and totally melt down the second someone challenges you. No one is forcing you to resort to petty name calling.

You could do something productive with your life in stead.

The constitution says congress has the authority to declare war. They cannot give that authority to the president by statute. We must go thru the amending process which means 3/4 of the states must approve.

Until the constitution is amended, there can be no war unless congress declares one. Without such a declaration every soldier has the right to refuse orders to fight.

No amendment needed. Congress most certainly has the authority for reprisal attacks short of a declaration of War. Furthermore the President also has the authority to act independently of Congress as well.

Or they can NOT authorize a one time use of force that falls short of outright war.
wink_smile.gif

That's your opinion. This has been debated by Congress. The conclusion they came to is that they can.

While those who hold your opinion are discussing it in internet forums, Congress will go ahead with authorizing force and issuing declarations of war as it decides to do.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no....

My bad, for expressing myself in such an ambiguous fashion...

I did not mean to say that Congress does not have the POWER to authorize or not authorize such a thing...

I merely meant to say that Congress could use its power to decide NOT to authorize such a strike...

Entirely different animal...

Actually, I blogged in-favor of Congress having such powers, in the face of someone who claimed it did not, just this morning, here...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/310727-obama-to-seek-congress-approval-42.html#post7778642

We are (probably) on the same page, with respect to the powers possessed by Congress, in this context...

My bad... for not framing the statement in a different manner...

Whoops...
red_smile.gif

Last edited:
Good.

Now the debate is not about unessentials: yes, Congress could order strikes or not.

That will be the discussion.

Wouldn't it be ironically fitting if the president started the bombing on Sept 11th?

We have come a long way. 9/11 was an attack on us by Al Qaeda. Now, on the anniversary of that attack we are ready to give them power over Syria. It looks like they are winning the war big time.

No, Sherri, Hezbollah, the Iranians, and the Syrians are not going to win anything over America or the Israelis.

Last edited:
They could vote no. Then there is the question of whether obama has the authority to order anything. Even if someone believes that obama could use military force in the absence of Congressional authority, it is an entirely new question of whether he could use force once authority has been denied.

Like it or not, any attack is not going to happen in a vacuum. The decision to go to war is not ours alone. If we attack and the country we attack, along with its allies, consider it an act of war and they declare war, we are in a war that the presidunce and congress did not intend.
No U.S. president has ever been turned down by Congress when asking to use military force. If Congress says no to Obama, I wounder what effect that might have on future presidents plans for military action. Would they be less likely to go to Congress and just use the War Powers Acts and proceed without a vote on congress? Would the decisions to put US servicemen at risk be turned into the usual congressional politics of follow the leader?

Last edited:
If Congress authorizes the President to strike Syria, he can do so. And since the Speaker is on board it wouldnt surprise me if the President is given that authorization despite the public opposition to it.

If by "authorization" you mean declaring war, then yes. Congress must declare war and only then does obozo have the constitutional right to strike.

As the reactionary right celebrates Putin and the Russians and the Communists and the Iranians, mainstream America realizes that those of the far right have turned a corner from which they cannot return.

The far reactionary right is imploding.

As the reactionary right celebrates Putin and the Russians and the Communists and the Iranians, mainstream America realizes that those of the far right have turned a corner from which they cannot return.

HAHAHA. It's you lefty extremists that are imploding - demanding another war against a nation that never did a thing to us. The public has turned on you. And if you say syria used chemical weapons on it's own people - isn't that just what clinton did at waco?

You'll be the 1 imploding when this retarded military exercise goes south and dominoes start falling. Perhaps then you'll realize what an irrational blind follower of Barry you were, but by then it will be too late. Enjoy your little war.

HAHAHA. It's you lefty extremists that are imploding - demanding another war against a nation that never did a thing to us. The public has turned on you. And if you say syria used chemical weapons on it's own people - isn't that just what clinton did at waco?
No.
Sarin gas was used in Syria. Tea gas was used in Waco

Forum List

Back