Congress may use copyright law to silence Drudge Report

The committee staffer would not say how the laws would affect aggregators and news sites and said that only “all stakeholders are invited to come in and meet with staff in order to give their thoughts or express concerns. Those meetings are ongoing.”

Drudge Report site owner Matt Drudge told Alex Jones ofInfoWars last week that copyright laws could very well end his popular site.

There's a lot of controversy about changing the copyright law that was enacted in 1976 BEFORE the internet became so huge.

A basic rule of copyright was always to protect the author's right to make a profit from his/her efforts. However, the is also a "fair usage" which allows others to use it for nonprofit purposes while still acknowledging the copyright holder.

So, if you use Jane Doe's article on a site where you are making money from it, you are infringing that copyright unless you obtain permission first.

How this can be changed to reflect the internet is the rub.

There's a lot of controversy about changing the copyright law that was enacted in 1976 BEFORE the internet became so huge.

A basic rule of copyright was always to protect the author's right to make a profit from his/her efforts. However, the is also a "fair usage" which allows others to use it for nonprofit purposes while still acknowledging the copyright holder.

So, if you use Jane Doe's article on a site where you are making money from it, you are infringing that copyright unless you obtain permission first.

How this can be changed to reflect the internet is the rub.

This, by the way, is why we have copyright rules on this site.

Message boards have been sued because of it.

Why should anyone care about the Drudge Report enough to call their congressman?

I'm truly baffled by how dedicated and loyal to anything perceived to be on "your side".

If you are so dense that you do not understand the Free Speech side of this, I feel sorry for you.

Drudge is an aggregator. There's no "free speech" issue, because Matt Drudge isn't actually saying anything himself, instead he's just essentially copying and pasting other people's work.

How is Matt Drudge making money off the works of other people "free speech"?

Why should anyone care about the Drudge Report enough to call their congressman?

I'm truly baffled by how dedicated and loyal to anything perceived to be on "your side".

If you are so dense that you do not understand the Free Speech side of this, I feel sorry for you.

Drudge is an aggregator. There's no "free speech" issue, because Matt Drudge isn't actually saying anything himself, instead he's just essentially copying and pasting other people's work.

HE puts it all in one easy, fast accessible page.

It isn’t.

The notion that this is some sort of ‘free speech’ issue is either an admission of ignorance or a lie.

HE puts it all in one easy, fast accessible page.

I didn't ask why you frequent The Drudge Report, I asked how it's a free speech issue.

It isn’t.

The notion that this is some sort of ‘free speech’ issue is either an admission of ignorance or a lie.

More importantly, the premise itself is bullshit. The regulations haven't been written yet, and as far as I can see, the only person who thinks the Drudge Report will get shut down is Matt Drudge himself.

You click on his link and you go to their website. I don't see the problem with copyright. Drudge is doing them a favor by directing traffic to their site that no one would otherwise visit.

You click on his link and you go to their website. I don't see the problem with copyright. Drudge is doing them a favor by directing traffic to their site that no one would otherwise visit.

If that's true - and if his somewhat ludicrous prediction came true as well - then none of them would sue him, and it'd all be a moot point.

If that's true - and if his somewhat ludicrous prediction came true as well - then none of them would sue him, and it'd all be a moot point.
It's why you allow us to post a link to and off site location but don't let us post the content from there in a cut and paste.

Curious. Does USMB retain ownership of the content we members freely post here under copyright protection?

It's why you allow us to post a link to and off site location but don't let us post the content from there in a cut and paste.

Curious. Does USMB retain ownership of the content we members freely post here under copyright protection?

Honestly, I have no idea. I didn't read the Terms and Conditions when I signed up. Did you?

And yes - we allow links, and even some cut and paste, because as the law stands now, that's what the law says.

If that law were to change in the way Matt Drudge is predicting, I imagine that we too would change our rules regarding copyright.

Honestly, I have no idea. I didn't read the Terms and Conditions when I signed up. Did you?
Who can stay awake long enough?

Forum List

Back