Congress unanimously passes repeal of STOCK Act

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Gotta love bipartisanship.

With little fanfare, the House quickly voted Friday to repeal a financial transparency requirement for senior government officials, which was part of a much-heralded government transparency bill last year.

Members passed S. 716 by unanimous consent, with no debate and no description on the floor about what the bill would do. The Senate passed it in the same fashion on Thursday.

The bill amends the Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act, which was passed last year on the heels of complaints that members of Congress and senior officials are using their government knowledge to enrich themselves through stock trades or other actions.

Congress quietly repeals financial transparency rules for government officials - The Hill's Floor Action

Bug surprise, Obama signed it.

Obama signs legislation scaling back financial disclosure requirements - POLITICO.com

Thank you Obama!!! We love you Obama!!! Please don't use your new powers you gave yourself to imprison me or even kill me... THANKS!!!

They couldn't stay away from the money, eh?

Who says that government isn't as corrupt as Corporations? They are more so, because they just passed a law allowing them to profit without consequence.

With little fanfare, the House quickly voted Friday to repeal a financial transparency requirement for senior government officials, which was part of a much-heralded government transparency bill last year.

Members passed S. 716 by unanimous consent, with no debate and no description on the floor about what the bill would do. The Senate passed it in the same fashion on Thursday.

The bill amends the Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act, which was passed last year on the heels of complaints that members of Congress and senior officials are using their government knowledge to enrich themselves through stock trades or other actions.

Congress quietly repeals financial transparency rules for government officials - The Hill's Floor Action

Obama signs legislation scaling back financial disclosure requirements - POLITICO.com

From your first link: "The reporting requirements would still apply to the president, vice president, members of Congress and candidates for Congress."

Seems it still applies to elected officials.

From your first link: "The reporting requirements would still apply to the president, vice president, members of Congress and candidates for Congress."

Is that not what the intent and purpose was in the first place?

Thank you Obama!!! We love you Obama!!!Please don't use your new powers you gave yourself to imprison me or even kill me...THANKS!!!

Let me get this straight....

Congress passes a bill, unanimously, and you feel it's the President's fault because he signed it?

You do understand how the Veto works, and how it can be over-ridden, right?

So, what did you want him to do, make an empty gesture that Congress was sure get all pissy about, and then ruin his chances at getting anything else done for the rest of the year?

How about you place the blame where it belongs: ON THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE THE DAMN LEGISLATION.

Is that not what the intent and purpose was in the first place?

They didn't repeal the whole act, they only eliminated the reporting requirements for some officials which an independent commission recommended. I don't see this as a big deal.

Like most of the stuff that has come out of the Obama administration it seems to be a poorly written law which was passed in haste. Requiring people to post their (legal) transactions on line for everyone to see seems a bit excessive.

Evidently there were some hurt feelings staffers and other non-elected people had their pay put out there for public consumption.

I know several Democrats publically complained about that....

But to have everyone from both parties vote for it and Obama sign it...

What a bunch of Hypocrites. The whole bunch.

Assholes.

Like most of the stuff that has come out of the Obama administration it seems to be a poorly written law which was passed in haste. Requiring people to post their (legal) transactions on line for everyone to see seems a bit excessive.

Then get off the Government tit.

Forum List

Back