Conservative Federal Judge J. Michael Luttig (RET): There Is No Republican Party

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
1692829998746.png

I totally agree with Judge Luttig! Also, according to Judge Luttig and Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Tribe, Trump isn't even legally eligible to run for President after the insurrection on January 6, 2021 according to Article 3 of the 14th Amendment. What do you think?

Last edited:
View attachment 818696

I totally agree with Judge Luttig! Also, according to Judge Luttig and Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Tribe, Trump isn't even legally eligible to run for President after the insurrection on January 6, 2021 according to Article 3 of the 14th Amendment. What do you think?
Sure there is…they’re the party that’s going to sweep the presidency, Congress, and the senate in 24…

#8 You attempted to make light of Rye Catcher's response. In post 3 you tried to disparage the Op's thread. At least that's my opinion and yours was the polar opposite. Can't give you a star for supporting a traitor to our country.
i asked rye a question ......and i asked lakota a question.....and if you read posts that people put up instead of just assuming everyone who doesnt see things like you do is a trump fan you would find out i think trump is a big mouth asshole who has made every problem he has worse because of that big mouth....

The bourdon of proof is on the poster. What does Luttig's record indicate that he is conservative?
Every news article I could find called him a conservative. I would take them at their word but if you want to question that then you should do the work and look up his record. They all know him as that. FYI : Burden is spelled like this.

What makes Luttig conservative?
What makes YOU conservative? I can guarantee you Luttig's creds are far more stellar than yours.

After law school, Luttig spent a year in the Reagan administration as an associate with the White House Counsel, Fred F. Fielding, who hired him on Burger's recommendation.[1] Luttig's duties included reviewing potential judicial appointments and vetting them for ideological consistency with the administration's policies. From 1982 to 1983, Luttig served as a law clerk to judge (later Supreme Court justice in 1986) Antonin Scalia of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, one of the potential judges he had vetted in his prior job. Luttig then clerked for Chief Justice Warren Burger of the Supreme Court of the United States from 1983 to 1984.[3] After his Supreme Court clerkship, Luttig continued to work for Chief Justice Burger as a special assistant until 1985. Luttig later served as co-executor of Burger's one-page will, which gained notoriety for Burger's failure to dictate how estate taxes should be paid.[4][5][6]

In 1985, Luttig entered private practice at the law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell. He returned to government service in 1989, holding various positions within the United States Department of Justice until 1991 under President George H. W. Bush, including assistant attorney general in charge of the Office of Legal Counsel.[3][7] His duties in the Justice Department included assisting Supreme Court nominees David Souter and Clarence Thomas through the nomination and confirmation process, including their Senate confirmation hearings. Luttig's help to Thomas in his highly contested confirmation hearings and their aftermath was somewhat controversial because Luttig's own appointment to the federal bench had been approved by the Senate, but he delayed taking the judicial oath of office, presumably because he could not credibly serve as a federal judge, who is supposed to be nonpartisan, while fulfilling the purely political task of ensuring that Thomas got a Supreme Court seat.[7][8][9][10]

Federal judgeship[edit]

On April 23, 1991, President George H. W. Bush nominated Luttig to fill a newly created seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on July 26, 1991, and received his commission on August 2, 1991.[11] He became the youngest judge (at age 37) on a federal appeals court at the time of his appointment.

On the bench, Luttig was compared to Justice Scalia for his analytical rigor and for criticizing his colleagues for inconsistencies or embellishments in their judicial opinions and right-wing extremism.[12] He was also similar to Scalia in that his judicial philosophy sometimes led to what were seen as some anti-conservative opinions.[3][10]

Luttig was mentioned frequently as being near the top of George W. Bush's list of potential nominees to the Supreme Court of the United States despite opposition from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a dispute between Luttig and the Bush administration over the handling of the case of alleged "dirty bomber" Jose Padilla (see below).[13][14] Bush interviewed Luttig but ultimately did not choose him to fill either of two Supreme Court vacancies in 2005. Those two seats were filled by John Roberts and Samuel Alito.

Luttig was among the leading feeder judges on the U.S. court of appeals, with more than 40 of his law clerks going on to clerk with conservative justices on the Supreme Court.[15] Of those, 33 clerked for either Justice Thomas or Justice Scalia.[16] Luttig's clerks have nicknamed themselves "Luttigators".

View attachment 818696

Who appointed you, Mr. Luttig???

Michelle Obama gives George W. Bush a great big hug and the internet ...

President Obama opens Smithsonian's African American museum | Daily ...

ANY QUESTIONS???

Forum List

Back