🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Conservatives More Susceptible to Bullshit Than Liberals

I think it's funny that several nutbags have come to this thread and said that both sides believe bullshit. It's an admission.

Supporters of Trump, Cruz, and Rubio more likely to see profoundness in bullshit than supporters of Clinton, Sanders, and O’Malley
Ronald Bailey|May. 17, 2016 12:36 pm

The new study on voter receptivity to bunkum uses bullshit statements generated by earlier work by a group of Canadian psychologists. The researchers conducted a number of experiments in which they evaluated subjects for their reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit. Very amusingly, the researchers generated their pseudo-profound bullshit from actual tweets from mystic Deepak Chopra and from websites that mimic Chopra’s opaque gnomic style.

Some examples of generated pseudo-profound bullshit included: “Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty”; “Imagination is inside exponential space time events"; and, “We are in the midst of a self-aware blossoming of being that will align us with the nexus itself.” Chopra actually tweeted the following: “Attention and intention are the mechanics of manifestation”; “We are not the emergent property of a mechanical universe but the seasonal activity of a living universe”; and, “As beings of light we are local and non-local, time bound and timeless actuality and possibility.”

To get a baseline, the researchers compared in some studies subjects’ ratings of profundity of such mundane observations as, “Newborn babies require constant attention,” and, “Lazy people usually don’t succeed in life.” They also had some subjects rate the profundity of motivational statements such as, “A river cuts through rock, not because of its power but its persistence,” and, “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

In this earlier study, the Canadian researchers wanted to find out what sorts of people (if any) were particularly susceptible to thinking that bullshit somehow contained profound meaning. In some studies they test subjects for their IQs and analytic abilities. They report that there are just some people who broadly accept all kinds of epistemically suspect beliefs such as existence of ghosts, paranormal phenomena, conspiratorial ideation, and the efficacy of alternative medical treatments like homeopathy. They describe such people as being "uncritically open-minded.

In the new study in the journal PLoS One, two German researchers test to find out if bullshit detection (or lack thereof) is associated with specific political views in the United States. They first ask subjects where they fit on the usual conservative to liberal political spectrum and then for whom they planned to vote. Once politically pigeonholed, the subjects are asked evaluate the list of bullshit and mundane statements from the earlier study for their profundity. They report:

Results revealed that favorable views of all three Republican candidates were positively related to judging bullshit statements as profound. The smallest correlation was found for Donald Trump. Although we observe a positive association between bullshit and support for the three Democrat candidates, this relationship is both substantively small and statistically insignificant. The general measure of political liberalism/conservatism was also related to judging bullshit statements as profound in that individuals who were more politically conservative had a higher tendency to see profoundness in bullshit statements. Of note, these results were not due to a general tendency among conservatives to see profoundness in everything: Favorable views of Republican candidates and conservatism were not significantly related to profoundness ratings of mundane statements. In contrast, this was the case for Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley. Overall, small-to-medium sized correlations were found, indicating that far from all conservatives see profoundness in bullshit statements.​
Hilarious. Love it!

Anyone that supports Hitlery and the Clinton crime family have fallen for the ultimate in bullshit.

"BUT BUT BUT BUT....But HILARY!!!"

Don't like the counter to your argument? Tough shit......I know more than you....infinitely more.

Can you name a USMB member who knows more than you?

I don't think a nation that bought into Hilters propaganda are the best ones to be telling us who is susceptible to bullshit those who buy into the premis put fourth in the OP might be a good indicator though.

Supporters of Trump, Cruz, and Rubio more likely to see profoundness in bullshit than supporters of Clinton, Sanders, and O’Malley

The new study on voter receptivity to bunkum uses bullshit statements generated by earlier work by a group of Canadian psychologists. The researchers conducted a number of experiments in which they evaluated subjects for their reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit. Very amusingly, the researchers generated their pseudo-profound bullshit from actual tweets from mystic Deepak Chopra and from websites that mimic Chopra’s opaque gnomic style.

Some examples of generated pseudo-profound bullshit included: “Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty”; “Imagination is inside exponential space time events"; and, “We are in the midst of a self-aware blossoming of being that will align us with the nexus itself.” Chopra actually tweeted the following: “Attention and intention are the mechanics of manifestation”; “We are not the emergent property of a mechanical universe but the seasonal activity of a living universe”; and, “As beings of light we are local and non-local, time bound and timeless actuality and possibility.”

To get a baseline, the researchers compared in some studies subjects’ ratings of profundity of such mundane observations as, “Newborn babies require constant attention,” and, “Lazy people usually don’t succeed in life.” They also had some subjects rate the profundity of motivational statements such as, “A river cuts through rock, not because of its power but its persistence,” and, “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

In this earlier study, the Canadian researchers wanted to find out what sorts of people (if any) were particularly susceptible to thinking that bullshit somehow contained profound meaning. In some studies they test subjects for their IQs and analytic abilities. They report that there are just some people who broadly accept all kinds of epistemically suspect beliefs such as existence of ghosts, paranormal phenomena, conspiratorial ideation, and the efficacy of alternative medical treatments like homeopathy. They describe such people as being "uncritically open-minded.

In the new study in the journal PLoS One, two German researchers test to find out if bullshit detection (or lack thereof) is associated with specific political views in the United States. They first ask subjects where they fit on the usual conservative to liberal political spectrum and then for whom they planned to vote. Once politically pigeonholed, the subjects are asked evaluate the list of bullshit and mundane statements from the earlier study for their profundity. They report:

Results revealed that favorable views of all three Republican candidates were positively related to judging bullshit statements as profound. The smallest correlation was found for Donald Trump. Although we observe a positive association between bullshit and support for the three Democrat candidates, this relationship is both substantively small and statistically insignificant. The general measure of political liberalism/conservatism was also related to judging bullshit statements as profound in that individuals who were more politically conservative had a higher tendency to see profoundness in bullshit statements. Of note, these results were not due to a general tendency among conservatives to see profoundness in everything: Favorable views of Republican candidates and conservatism were not significantly related to profoundness ratings of mundane statements. In contrast, this was the case for Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley. Overall, small-to-medium sized correlations were found, indicating that far from all conservatives see profoundness in bullshit statements.​
Hilarious. Love it!

Anyone that supports Hitlery and the Clinton crime family have fallen for the ultimate in bullshit.

Don't like the counter to your argument? Tough shit......I know more than you....infinitely more.

MisterBeale comes immediately to mind....he is simply more subtle about things than I am. JimBowie1958 is another peer. There are others that I believe possess the knowledge I have that simply don't want the hassle of dealing with trolls. I don't mind dealing with it because I am confident in what I have researched and the information that I have vetted. Totally going "cold turkey" off of TV has been a monumental help.

MisterBeale comes immediately to mind....he is simply more subtle about things than I am. JimBowie1958 is another peer. There are others that I believe possess the knowledge I have that simply don't want the hassle of dealing with trolls. I don't mind dealing with it because I am confident in what I have researched and the information that I have vetted. Totally going "cold turkey" off of TV has been a monumental help.

Awesome. Peers. Nobody superior?

Who needs a study when one just needs to consider the longevity and success of Rush Limbaugh's career in comparison to the failure of Air America?

As a Republican I can say it gets embarrassing at times. But I'm not as embarrassed as I would be if associated with those whining Democrats

This isn't as pissing contest, dude...or a dick measuring contest. This is about trying to get people to wake up as to what has been done to them because I care about people....even the ones that bust on me because I know why they do it. They are scared of having their total world view changed. I know how hard that is because I struggled with it mightily. I was the biggest Bush ass kisser in cyberville back in the day and busted with great glee on "truthers". I doubt I can ever take enough showers to wash that stench off of me. So, I am paying penance and trying to do my part and help the ones that helped me to wake up to reality. Those that are willing to listen are more than welcome to tell me where they think I am wrong and I will give it due diligence. We are all in this together and only by sticking together can we stop what the globalists wish to push on us and I promise you....it's not anything someone like you or me is going to like. You are too head strong...at least that is how your posts come across to me. You may be a leftwinger but I believe you think that America should remain an independent nation with sovereignty. If I am wrong...let me know.

After seeing the lengths that the left will go to ignore or explain away the actions of their chosen ones the OP gives me a chuckle.

The extreme right uses emotions and what they feel to make up things to fit how they feel. They hate government, so lets abolish it all and somehow we'll still be the worlds greatest super power because! No, such things to a rational person don't occur out of thin air and that is their problem.

Well, I don't know what you mean by extreme right, and I don't hate government. However, I do oppose people taking other people's property to further their own ends. I don't think it's civilized to take what belongs to someone else.

This isn't as pissing contest, dude...or a dick measuring contest. This is about trying to get people to wake up as to what has been done to them because I care about people....even the ones that bust on me because I know why they do it. They are scared of having their total world view changed. I know how hard that is because I struggled with it mightily. I was the biggest Bush ass kisser in cyberville back in the day and busted with great glee on "truthers". I doubt I can ever take enough showers to wash that stench off of me. So, I am paying penance and trying to do my part and help the ones that helped me to wake up to reality. Those that are willing to listen are more than welcome to tell me where they think I am wrong and I will give it due diligence. We are all in this together and only by sticking together can we stop what the globalists wish to push on us and I promise you....it's not anything someone like you or me is going to like. You are too head strong...at least that is how your posts come across to me. You may be a leftwinger but I believe you think that America should remain an independent nation with sovereignty. If I am wrong...let me know.

No....I'm just making fun of you because you always say that you know more than others. You do.......don't you?

Please....don't waste valuable research time responding to me....I feel bad. (Mounds)

Hilarious. Love it!

More new liberal trolls, awesome. Rderp welcomes the company

Hilarious how the conservatives on this forum automatically cry "troll" whenever they see anything that's the slightest bit uncomfortable for their delicate sensibilities. You guys are the biggest group of babies that I've ever come across on any forum.

This was from Reason.com, a libertarian site, gramps.

If in fact we wanted nothing to get done about immigration except to grant those that do sneak in here illegally justification through citizenship, or seeing more attacks like San Bernardino .. Fort Hood .. and Orlando all while awarding a teen for simulating a bomb in a school following a streak of school shootings because he happens to be Muslim .. I'm sure we'd love to get behind another liberal Democrat.

Last edited:
The extreme right uses emotions and what they feel to make up things to fit how they feel. They hate government, so lets abolish it all and somehow we'll still be the worlds greatest super power because! No, such things to a rational person don't occur out of thin air and that is their problem.

No, I hate a corporate entity that is trying to pass itself off as a legitimate governmental body that passes acts, statutes and codes from on high while growing more oppressive instead of legislating from the "bottom up" like the organic constitution intended for it to be. This "super power" that you take such pride in has decimated smaller countries that did not have the means to fend for themselves on behalf of the multi-national corporations owned by the very banking oligarchs and bloodlines that own our labor. USA.INC has never spread democracy or freedom to any country. They have put in and supported some of the most oppressive, murderous despots the world has ever seen. Wake up to reality....your corporate structured "gubermint" is a foreign owned entity and has been since 1912. They used their wealth to create the bubble that crashed the markets in 1929 in order to buy controlling interests in corporations that they coveted and unaffiliated banks for pennies on the dollar. THEN they stole the nation's real money when USA.INC filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1933. They made people turn in their gold for worthless paper...that is a historical fact and it cannot be disputed.

No....I'm just making fun of you because you always say that you know more than others. You do.......don't you?

Please....don't waste valuable research time responding to me....I feel bad. (Mounds)

Hey, make "fun" to your heart's content......my shoulders are broad enough. I will be proven right and it will be in your life time. Bad shit is coming down the pike. They are betting that we will turn on each other. I am betting that we won't.

Hilarious. Love it!

This is obviously just another bullshit leftwing "study" presenting itself as science when it's really just the cheapest most dishonest form of propaganda.

Hilarious. Love it!

More new liberal trolls, awesome. Rderp welcomes the company

Hilarious how the conservatives on this forum automatically cry "troll" whenever they see anything that's the slightest bit uncomfortable for their delicate sensibilities. You guys are the biggest group of babies that I've ever come across on any forum.

This was from Reason.com, a libertarian site, gramps.
I don't care where it's from. It's devoid of substance & bottom feeder trolling

Hilarious. Love it!

You sure do like to talk a lot about how much you "know." You also like to talk about how high your IQ is. You love talking about how much "more" you know than other people, and you always sound like Trump when you write..."I know more than you...infinitely more."

You are nothing but a know-nothing muppet.

Hilarious. Love it!

Conservative tend to be less flexible in their point of view, therefore anything that supports their current beliefs seems more truthful merely because they want it to be truthful.
Libs tend to be full of shit.

Hilarious. Love it!

You sure do like to talk a lot about how much you "know." You also like to talk about how high your IQ is. You love talking about how much "more" you know than other people, and you always sound like Trump when you write..."I know more than you...infinitely more."

And you like to just spew Liberal propaganda and pretend it has any form of merit. Do you lack the ability to actually debate with facts, or are you just too lazy to even try to become informed?

Hilarious. Love it!

Yes, I do know a lot but my IQ is average....nothing special and have never bragged about it but I do have a gift for discerning information and I am like a sponge when it comes to learning information. The more I learn, the more I want to know. I am no fan of Trump because I haven't gotten a good read on him. He might be legit but I doubt it. I do know that Hitlery is connected at the hip with the globalist agenda and I have more then enough information to make that case. I have spent THOUSANDS of hours in the last 4 and half years delving into what is really going on. It is my obsession because I was fooled by the Bush crime cabal...and make no mistake...they are crooks of the highest order and deeply in bed with the Clintons.I have made it my mission to never be fooled again and I tossed off my programming....something you obviously cling to. Please feel free to debate me on any topic you disagree with me about because I can more than make my case. I am not about the political party bullshit. I am about the ugly truth instead of pretty lies told to us in order to placate us and make us "docile and compliant". Got some game? Bring it........let the chips fall where they may.

And you like to just spew Liberal propaganda and pretend it has any form of merit. Do you lack the ability to actually debate with facts, or are you just too lazy to even try to become informed?

What I would like is for the OP to make a convincing argument as to why Hitlery is fit to serve as CEO of USA.INC and why people should ignore the fact that she used her private server to sell diplomacy and the lifting of trade sanctions in exchange for donations...they did the same thing with china back in the 90's when they were in the WH. Chinagate has never been given it's proper due. The Clintons gave them access to the patent office much like Truman did with Russia...these are facts and not disputable.

Forum List

Back