Constitutional Chutzpah

Obama can run against a "do-nothing" congress in November as well ;)
Obama can run against a "do-nothing" congress in November as well ;)
Let Obama implement his own climate change rules

Make the do nothing congress stop him
Obama can also run against a "do-nothing" congress in November as well ;)

These scatter-shot, rw, whine threads by PC are fun/funny to point at & laugh.

Very true

If Congress does not like what our President is doing they can run in November about everything the President did wrong and what they propose to do right

I'm still not clear on how a treaty can become binding law without the Senate's advise and consent.
the parts of the treaty that would be binding already exist in a ratified treaty from 1992 - at least that's the treaty form our negotiators are pushing.

The reason that the Constitution is ignored is that there are individuals who need a monarch to tell them what to think.....raise your paw.

Both the House of Representatives and the Senate are made of individuals who have been voted into office by the people.
They are tasked with specific functions.

The failure in the White House believes, as you do, that he is a king, and requires not the authority given to his office by the Constitution, and, it seems, views said office as 'the gift of the gods.'

The Congress, the people's representatives, will not support his latest United Nations takeover of our sovereignty....

....and that is the center of this episode.

For your edification and enlightenment:

1. The latest variation of totalitarianism is neither religious, nor even political: it is cultural. “Totalitarian democracy” is a term made famous by J. L. Talmon to refer to a system of government in which lawfully elected representatives maintain the integrity of a nation state whose citizens, while granted the right to vote, have little or no participation in the decision-making process of the government.

a. Cultural totalitarianism is rule by the individual freed from all external authority or constraints, morality fully privatized with Judeo-Christian traditions under attack.

b. Moral and cultural relativism are predominant; no lifestyle is better than any other.

c. Paradoxically, relativist doctrine becomes absolutely unassailable: it brooks no challenges or deviations.

2. . “Totalitarian democracy” preaches absolute truth and a messianic vision of a “pre-ordained, harmonious and perfect scheme of things, to which men are irresistibly driven, and at which they are bound to arrive”; its politics is but one aspect of an all-embracing philosophy. Both “liberal” and “totalitarian” democracy affirm the value of liberty; but for the first, liberty means individual spontaneity, for the second, reconciliation to an absolute, collective purpose—
. The Rise of Totalitarian Democracy by J. L. Talmon Commentary Magazine
none of that has dick to do with why an international agreement that places no new legally binding requirements on the united states would require approval from the senate. absolutely none of it.

try again.
What's to stop Obama from enforcing it through various taxes, fines, punishments, mandates, etc?

Why? Does Obama have special powers not granted to any past president.
He doesn't. He simply ignores the law and does what he wants. He has the media to protect him and help change the subject. Our only legal recourse is take it to the courts.

You will be glad to hear that he has no more powers than any other President. In fact he has used his executive orders far less than the previous president

Bush used his executive powers to change climate change rules.....He relaxed them

I'm still not clear on how a treaty can become binding law without the Senate's advise and consent.
the parts of the treaty that would be binding already exist in a ratified treaty from 1992 - at least that's the treaty form our negotiators are pushing.

The reason that the Constitution is ignored is that there are individuals who need a monarch to tell them what to think.....raise your paw.

Both the House of Representatives and the Senate are made of individuals who have been voted into office by the people.
They are tasked with specific functions.

The failure in the White House believes, as you do, that he is a king, and requires not the authority given to his office by the Constitution, and, it seems, views said office as 'the gift of the gods.'

The Congress, the people's representatives, will not support his latest United Nations takeover of our sovereignty....

....and that is the center of this episode.

For your edification and enlightenment:

1. The latest variation of totalitarianism is neither religious, nor even political: it is cultural. “Totalitarian democracy” is a term made famous by J. L. Talmon to refer to a system of government in which lawfully elected representatives maintain the integrity of a nation state whose citizens, while granted the right to vote, have little or no participation in the decision-making process of the government.

a. Cultural totalitarianism is rule by the individual freed from all external authority or constraints, morality fully privatized with Judeo-Christian traditions under attack.

b. Moral and cultural relativism are predominant; no lifestyle is better than any other.

c. Paradoxically, relativist doctrine becomes absolutely unassailable: it brooks no challenges or deviations.

2. . “Totalitarian democracy” preaches absolute truth and a messianic vision of a “pre-ordained, harmonious and perfect scheme of things, to which men are irresistibly driven, and at which they are bound to arrive”; its politics is but one aspect of an all-embracing philosophy. Both “liberal” and “totalitarian” democracy affirm the value of liberty; but for the first, liberty means individual spontaneity, for the second, reconciliation to an absolute, collective purpose—
. The Rise of Totalitarian Democracy by J. L. Talmon Commentary Magazine
none of that has dick to do with why an international agreement that places no new legally binding requirements on the united states would require approval from the senate. absolutely none of it.

try again.
What's to stop Obama from enforcing it through various taxes, fines, punishments, mandates, etc?
taxes wouldn't work without the approval of congress. fines might. but again, that would have to be working within existing law.

He doesn't. He simply ignores the law and does what he wants. He has the media to protect him and help change the subject. Our only legal recourse is take it to the courts.

And, the determined support of the mind-deadened robots to whom you addressed these several posts.

If Bush used his executive powers to relax climate change rules...

Why can't Obama use his executive powers to make them more stringent?

And, the determined support of the mind-deadened robots to whom you addressed these several posts.
can you tell us why an agreement that does not place new legal obligations on the united states requires approval from the senate?

or will you continue to duck the question, just as you do all questions that destroy your position?

can you tell us why an agreement that does not place new legal obligations on the united states requires approval from the senate?

or will you continue to duck the question, just as you do all questions that destroy your position?

Answered in both the OP and http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/us/politics/obama-pursuing-climate-accord-in-lieu-of-treaty.html

You're constant whining "is not, is not" duly noted.

This is from the OP's source:

"American negotiators are instead homing in on a hybrid agreement — a proposal to blend legally binding conditions from an existing 1992 treaty with new voluntary pledges. The mix would create a deal that would update the treaty, and thus, negotiators say, not require a new vote of ratification."

Translation: There is absolutely nothing going on here that is even remotely unconstitutional.

Answered in both the OP and http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/us/politics/obama-pursuing-climate-accord-in-lieu-of-treaty.html

humor me, because when i read the NY Times I don't see that explanation. And I don't see it in the OP.

so you can duck the question, prove you're a sham and a lightweight intellectual only capable of pressing ctrl+c followed by ctrl+v, or you can act like an adult and explain, in your own words, why you think an agreement without legal obligation requires the approval of the senate.

Expanding something requires Congressional approval. Really a contraction should too, but both Bush and Obama have done that.

humor me, because when i read the NY Times I don't see that explanation. And I don't see it in the OP.

so you can duck the question, prove you're a sham and a lightweight intellectual only capable of pressing ctrl+c followed by ctrl+v, or you can act like an adult and explain, in your own words, why you think an agreement without legal obligation requires the approval of the senate.

It is termed a treaty, you really need me to quote the Constitution?

It is termed a treaty, you really need me to quote the Constitution?
Yes. Please quote the part of the Constitution about non-binding agreements.

A treaty is a treaty. Nonbinding still requires governmental reporting and other monetary considerations, which require both houses to pass the funding.

A treaty is a treaty. Nonbinding still requires governmental reporting and other monetary considerations, which require both houses to pass the funding.

So you have no quote then.

Non binding means Congress can blow it off, Obama ends up with egg on his face (from free range chickens, of course), and the Europeans pooh-pooh our callousness toward Gaia.

Whew! No Constitutional crisis, after all!

So you have no quote then.

Non binding means Congress can blow it off, Obama ends up with egg on his face (from free range chickens, of course), and the Europeans pooh-pooh our callousness toward Gaia.

Whew! No Constitutional crisis, after all!

The President... shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur....

ARTICLE II, SECTION 2, CLAUSE 2

trea·ty
noun\ˈtrē-tē\
: an official agreement that is made between two or more countries or groups
Treaty - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

im·be·cile
noun\ˈim-bə-səl, -ˌsil\
: a very stupid person : an idiot or fool....You.

Treaty - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Forum List

Back