COPS: “You’re on your own” before police arrive

You're on your own when they get there. Legal precedent is that police have no duty to protect a victim, only to arrest the criminal after the victim is raped and murdered.

Well Hell. Thats what my shotgun is for. To hold the fort till the police arrive.

No problem. If any of the bad guys get shot in the interim?? Oh well. Sorry bout their luck.
You are not Judge, Jury and Executioner! Everyone have "rights" in America including visitors in your home! :evil:

You should drop, cover head and wait for Police!

:cuckoo:Ahh. And so should the criminal that just broke into your home too?

You criminal heads really look out for one another.

Well Hell. Thats what my shotgun is for. To hold the fort till the police arrive.

No problem. If any of the bad guys get shot in the interim?? Oh well. Sorry bout their luck.

I guess you follow the advice given by Joey (foot in mouth) Biden. You know fire two rounds in the air from your 'balcony'. Or through the door.

Last edited:
I have been told by many law enforcement officers that anyone who illegally enters an occupied home is a danger to the lives of those in the home. Burglars make very sure that no one is home so that they are not seen - only robbers confront the owners.

You can always use deadly force to hold an intruder until the police arrive. You can use deadly force to stop the intruder if:

1. they advance toward you
2. threaten you
3. do not comply with your demand to lie down and spread 'em

You cannot use deadly force if they turn and run away

You can always use deadly force to hold an intruder until the police arrive. You can use deadly force to stop the intruder if:

1. they advance toward you
2. threaten you
3. do not comply with your demand to lie down and spread 'em
Depends on the state

You have a point there. I can only speak to my state laws.
The right to self defense exists in all states so if you feel in danger of life or limb then deadly force is justifiable in all states.

so long as you do not initiate the attack with word or action.

In some states, however, that right extends only to whatever the State feels is 'equal' or 'reasonable' force, which might not include responding to a knife or multiple invaders/attackers with a gun or other weapon.

Just to be clear: people reading this thread should confirm applicable laws in their area, as laws do vary.

Personally, I'd like to see broader adoption of the Castle Doctrine.

I like Florida's Castle Doctrine...

Florida Castle Doctrine

The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. [This is an American right repeatedly recognized in Supreme Court gun cases.]

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

Forum List

Back